Quantcast

The Death of the SUV; RIP

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Kinda dumb and premature really since the SUV has been around from decades and will continue to be around for decades longer..

http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/cars-trucks/daily-news/080604-General-Motors-Others-Decide-the-SUV-is-Dead/

http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/cars-trucks/daily-news/080605-Gas-Prices-Make-This-a-Great-Time-to-Buy-an-SUV/

Dearly beloved. We gather here today to mourn the demise of the sport utility vehicle, or "SUV" as its friends liked to call it.

The gas-guzzler lived a full life, driving in the fast lane from the 1990s to the mid-2000s. But then, gas prices soared and the SUV's vital signs plummeted. As much as people love large cars, the costs to keep fuel in the tank proved too much to take. As the New York Times reported, it now costs $100k to own and keep a similarly inefficient full size pickup running for five years. And so people pulled the plug on their trucks and SUVs, taking the beleaguered vehicles off life support and into the museum of dead car fads.

Last edited:

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
While Im sure the things will be sharply decreasing in popularity, I'm also sure they'll be around for quite a while. I like how they "began" in the 1990's too... totally ignoring the Broncos, Scouts, Wagoneers, Cherokees, Blazers, RamChargers, etc. etc. etc. in the 60s and 70s.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
I'm stuck in a '97 GMC S10 Blazer with horrible gas mileage, 17 Hwy if I'm lucky. BUT...it's paid for and can haul 2 bikes on top, 7-8 stinky riders inside...and on a burly shuttle day, I can hook my 5x8 trailer to it and haul a bucketload of riders.

During the week, me & the wife's bikes & the girls bikes all go in with picnic lunch and sometimes our 75lb mutt. Drop the seats down and it's off to the dumpster, the bike shop, Home Depot...yada yada. But geez...does it suck the gas.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
I've had 3 Jeeps (XJ, ZJ, now a WJ), and I loved them all. SUVs are practical and efficient in so many ways, taking the hit in fuel economy can easily be overlooked.

Future headline (when gas goes down in price): "Hybrid fad dies in favor of vehicles with balls again":D

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
While Im sure the things will be sharply decreasing in popularity, I'm also sure they'll be around for quite a while. I like how they "began" in the 1990's too... totally ignoring the Broncos, Scouts, Wagoneers, Cherokees, Blazers, RamChargers, etc. etc. etc. in the 60s and 70s.
The "SUV" is more of the Tahoe, Excursion, Denali, H2 types that typically don't go off road (as how I think of it anyway).

How many Scouts do you see rolling 24" spinners?

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
While "small" blokes feel the need to compensate there'll still be the need for a Titanic on wheels. I'm actually with Neightypoo here, the oil price is due for a major correction. I wonder if it'll happen in time for the election?

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Its the death of the SUV as American's vehicle of choice which corresponds to the time period they are referencing, its not meant to be literal :rolleyes:

The big three are restructuring as sedans will return to popularity.

Also some of the void will also be filled by wagons, minivans, vans, and unibody SUVs(ie wagons styled as SUVs AKA crossovers)

Last edited:

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
this reminds me... i need to call a notary. i am selling my '97 4Runner w/230k miles for $7200 today.

it's been sitting in my side drive way for almost 2 years now.

w00t!

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
this reminds me... i need to call a notary. i am selling my '97 4Runner w/230k miles for $7200 today.

it's been sitting in my side drive way for almost 2 years now.

w00t!
Why bother when gas will be $1.29 a gallon this winter? You could have it running 24/7 just in case you need to run to the store for more martini olives.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
My neighbor just got a large SUV. He said ne needed an 8 passenger vehicle for his wife and one kid. Actually he said he needed it for when his brothers family comes to visit. I mentioned that he could have saved a lot of money if they just drove two cars for the one time per year they needed it. He seemed a little pissed. It's none of my business what he does with his money but the guy is constantly complaining that he is broke and things cost too much, especially gas.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
My neighbor just got a large SUV. He said ne needed an 8 passenger vehicle for his wife and one kid. Actually he said he needed it for when his brothers family comes to visit. I mentioned that he could have saved a lot of money if they just drove two cars for the one time per year they needed it. He seemed a little pissed. It's none of my business what he does with his money but the guy is constantly complaining that he is broke and things cost too much, especially gas.
cost to rent an SUV for the weekend - $150.

cost to fill up his SUV every week - $150.

yup, have no clue why he's always broke... :clue:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
is the kid (or wife, or the dude) really fat at least? taking out the back rows and putting up a human pigpen back there would be one good SUV use if only the seat belts could be figured out

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
is the kid (or wife, or the dude) really fat at least? taking out the back rows and putting up a human pigpen back there would be one good SUV use if only the seat belts could be figured out

The whole family is skinny with a predisposition for buying the biggest possible thing they can't afford. He also recently aquired a gigantic lawn tractor to attent to his .25 acres of grass.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
until 4 yrs ago 3 blocks away there used to be a neglected open space w/ great DJ/stunts where local riders would hone their skills. then, some old person dies & his estate is broken up & is now 30-40 mcmansions. i have counted at least 3 H2s and a few full sized trucks in the driveways. apparently the garages aren't deep enough to offer egress to the house w/ the door closed.

but since most SUVs are built on a truck frame, their existence should follow the truck, right? maybe not. trucks are more useful, especially at the end of the month (moving day)

Last edited:

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
Ding Dong! The Witch is dead. Which old Witch? The Wicked Witch!
Ding Dong! The Wicked Witch is dead.
Wake up - sleepy head, rub your eyes, get out of bed.
Wake up, the Wicked Witch is dead. She's gone where the goblins go,
Below - below - below. Yo-ho, let's open up and sing and ring the bells out.
Ding Dong' the merry-oh, sing it high, sing it low.
Let them know
The Wicked Witch is dead!

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
until 4 yrs ago 3 blocks away there used to be a neglected open space w/ great DJ/stunts where local riders would hone their skills. then, some old person dies & his estate is broken up & is now 30-40 mcmansions. i have counted at least 3 H2s and a few full sized trucks in the driveways. apparently the garages aren't deep enough to offer egress to the house w/ the door closed.
Like this?

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
Originally Posted by Wes Brown, VP of consultant Iceology
Hummer, he said, has an incredibly strong brand image, which makes it a viable brand, and GM should find a way to make Hummers "incredibly fuel-efficient to shock the marketplace."
Well, a good hummer might take 12-24 ounces of ethanol alcohol. That's pretty efficient.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
HEY! Your 07' $50,000 Truck Is Worth Less Than 20 Grand Wholesale Now. And Even At THAT Price, NOBODY Wants Them!

Unless you've been on safari on the planet Venus, it's next to impossible that you've missed the news that the car business (SUV's/Truck in particular) is REALLY bad right now.

But what you all don't realize is truly HOW BAD it is.

So let us net it out for you.

If you own an SUV or a Truck right now, particularly a full size American piece of iron, YOU are SCREWED!

If you DO you probably don't want to read any further into this article.

[...]