Quantcast

THE Eliminator Rims

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Those are several years old and were problematic from what I understand.

I wonder how tubeless would blend with this tech?

ssaddict

Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Phoenix, AZ
w00dy said:
I've always been curious how they worked, but never heard any first-hand feedback.
They don't, it was a very dumb idea.

1. how do you get a tire on without 3 hands and HUGE tire levers?

2. you just decreased your air volume by 1/2, imagine how many times your going to hit your rim now

3. they are heavy as sh*t

and those are the strong points :stosh:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
w00dy said:
I find this hard to ask without sounding like a dick, but did any of you actually own them?
Products can be poorly designed and have obvious bad points without having to ride them to find out.

Look at where the tire bead sits. They're going to be difficult to get off.

Look at the the raised center, that's a decrease in air volume, and air volume is a desirable thing.

Interesting idea, but they just went ahead and tried to fix one problem without full consideration of the other problems they'd cause.

In answer to your question, though, no, I haven't ridden them.

w00dy

In heaven there is no beer
Jun 18, 2004
that's why we drink it here
Ok, well I'm not looking for speculation, thank you for your reply, but I'm plenty good at doing that myself. What I was really asking for was somebody who has used them to give me a thorough review.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
w00dy said:
Ok, well I'm not looking for speculation, thank you for your reply, but I'm plenty good at doing that myself. What I was really asking for was somebody who has used them to give me a thorough review.
Call up THE, I'm sure Toby will tell you everything you want to hear :p
He'll prolly sell you a box of em for $20!

Oh that was internet specluation! Quick, I better give myself 20 lashes!

Dude, its hard getting a thorough review on a sh*t product that no one bought, good luck :stosh:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
w00dy said:
Well, okay, then what is not speculation is that I have seen at least 5 threads on various boards (including this one) asking this exact same question - "Are these any good?"

So far, there has been not one review of someone who owned them. The closest I saw was one guy who said he had a friend who owned them and he had to cut the tires off the rim.

So, take that for whatever its worth. If it had really eliminated pinch flats entirely without severe drawbacks, it probably would have sold like gangbusters.

Good luck with your search for reviews! Let us (well me anyway) know if you find any - I'd be interested to see some.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i had a friend who had one. after much effort he finally got the tire mounted, but the tube had been pinched in the process. he couldn't get the tire off the rim w/o resorting to cutting the rim in half w/ a hacksaw.

there's yr glowing product review. stay away!

KATSURAGI

Chimp
Feb 10, 2003
Osaka,Japan
....Listen to them all...I had a pair of those made up and they were the worst things right from the word go....Because the "rim" is just a big heavy hunk of metal thats taken the form of a circle the nipples aren't strong enough to pull them into place,and you don't get a nice build. the first run down the hill had the rim hitting on every single rock and my wheel was rubbing on my frame with 4 broken spokes at the bottom of the hill....not good :nope:

I ended up hacksawing the rims to save my Intense tyres.... :devil:

Ian F

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
Philadelphia area
I also have a friend who tried one when they were first introduced. The concept basically doesn't work. He pinch-flatted the rear a few times. He's all of 120 lbs in full-gear (although he rides about as smooth as a bull in a china shop...).

Also confirmed the extreme difficulty with tire removal... Ended up cutting a tire off to fix a flat at a race... he wasn't happy about that...

He runs D3.1's now...

w00dy

In heaven there is no beer
Jun 18, 2004
that's why we drink it here
Thanks for the advice everyone, I'll be sure to avoid those. Sorry if I copped an attitude to the first guys who replied, you were right, I just wanted to hear it from the source.

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
awesome. you will sell exactly zero of them. but if you would have read the thread from 6 years ago you bumped for no reason other than to spam, you wouldn't have bought them in the first place.

Banshee Rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
Don't you pay for banner ads? Wouldn't that be a better place to notify people than bumping a 6 year old thread?

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Talk about making the extra effort to reach your customers - dude goes out of his way to help the guy who's been looking for these rims for the past 6 years and give him a huge deal at the same time! Thats dedication to the customer right there.

Lucky Grills

Chimp
Aug 5, 2009
Australia
43 sets presold this evening thanks this gives me a great idea ridemonkey only deals
Cool. You sold 43 suckers a product that is universally recognised, including the two mba reviews I've read of it, as one of the worst products of all time. I hope you've got thousands left. You'd probably sell asbestos and thalidomide too if you could.

thom9719

Turbo Monkey
Jul 25, 2005
In the Northwest.
Holy bunch of haters. No one is forcing you guys to buy anything.

The guy pays for the site and posts an add for something that maybe someone wants (people buy a lot of dumb sh*t), give him a break.

-KT

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
So my question is if you pop the rubber thing out go tubeless and make them your backup set or your harder riding set then why is it a bad thing..... Just asking Ill get a set and ride them, cant see them being too far off atomlab or other rims in the wide arena, maybe a buit wide but hell for the price and minus the center thingy its a cheap price so why not...... I detonate 6.1s, dps 32s etc so its no different....

Just asking and i havent seen a whole lot of reviews just others have said type stuff and a few popped on with a bit of time... But it seems the main thing is the center bulge for her pleasure, remove it and its a cheaper wheelset then outlaws...

Sghost

Turbo Monkey
Jul 13, 2008
NY
So my question is if you pop the rubber thing out go tubeless and make them your backup set or your harder riding set then why is it a bad thing..... Just asking Ill get a set and ride them, cant see them being too far off atomlab or other rims in the wide arena, maybe a buit wide but hell for the price and minus the center thingy its a cheap price so why not...... I detonate 6.1s, dps 32s etc so its no different....

Just asking and i havent seen a whole lot of reviews just others have said type stuff and a few popped on with a bit of time... But it seems the main thing is the center bulge for her pleasure, remove it and its a cheaper wheelset then outlaws...
You should get some Mag 30's.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
If the guy pays for banner ads he can post what he wants. The site is free because of those ads
:stupid:

if he wants to buy and sell them, it's on him. He's a paid advertiser, this isn't :spam:. If he weren't paying, then I'd say go screw, but if people are actually interested in these rims, god bless em.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
You should get some Mag 30's.
LOL I had mag 30s a long time ago.

For the price Im doing the wheelset so they will sit loaded with dirty dans or DH casings ready for tunnel, bootleg etc or when 1 of the I9s takes a hit and I dont want to ruin my weekend I can continue to ride....So actually its a pretty good insurance policy while out riding to save a otherwise perfectly good day. (of course take the rubber thing out)

Tedman

Monkey
Oct 27, 2009
Lebanon, PA
I picked up a set of these for $125 back in April and use them for training, street riding and back up wheels on race weekends. For the cheap insurance its a no brainer for me. They are not very heavy but incredibly difficult to unmount tires. I removed the inner plastic strip, taped the seam, and run DH tubes.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Might come with a THE fork for free.

EDIT- I do remember a review in an Australian MTB mag from years ago, from memory they were impressed that you could run low pressures and manual at a gutter(kerb?) and only put small a ding in that stupid centre ridge and the tube wouldn't flat.
I really think if anyone buys them today they are a freakin retard, even back then they were so much heavier than a good rim yet THE claimed weight savings as you run lighter tubes, oh that's right 100g of aluminum is lighter tahn 100g of tube.
Cheap rim+ghetto tubless would be 10x better than a THE rim.

Last edited:

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Might come with a THE fork for free.

EDIT- I do remember a review in an Australian MTB mag from years ago, from memory they were impressed that you could run low pressures and manual at a gutter(kerb?) and only put small a ding in that stupid centre ridge and the tube wouldn't flat.
I really think if anyone buys them today they are a freakin retard, even back then they were so much heavier than a good rim yet THE claimed weight savings as you run lighter tubes, oh that's right 100g of aluminum is lighter tahn 100g of tube.
Cheap rim+ghetto tubless would be 10x better than a THE rim.
Well as retarded as It makes me Im not running the center peice Im unmounting it taping em up and going tubeless. Figure $17.50 a rim makes for a great back up set.... Dont have to have them on there all the time but when I want to bash, practice or hit nasty lines I can sacrafice these vs. the race set...

Remove center bulge, tape center, go tubeless ='s a great back up set saving my I9s ='s priceless....

Note to that:
If they are hard to mount tires and have a good ridge they should make killer ghetto tubeless and be able to run some low PSI without rolling... Plus the width should pull the sidewalls in a bit and reduce gashing and rolling around at low pressure with a large volume tire...

Last edited: