The fatties are getting restless...

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Fat activists fed up with U.S. anti-obesity mania

By David Crary
Associated Press

NEW YORK — Unashamed of their size, fed up with fat jokes, and angry at the national obsession with dieting, overweight activists are mounting a feisty protest movement against the medical establishment's campaign against obesity.
"We're living in the middle of a witch hunt, and fat people are the witches," said Marilyn Wann of San Francisco, a militant member of the National Association to Advance Fat Acceptance. "It's gotten markedly worse in the last few years because of the propaganda that fatness, a natural human characteristic, is somehow a form of disease."
The association, known as NAAFA, holds its annual convention starting Wednesday in Newark, N.J., bringing together activists for social events and workshops on self-acceptance, political advocacy and the "fat liberation" movement.
"I hope we can be a viable force of sanity in the midst of hysteria," said NAAFA spokeswoman Mary Ray Worley of Madison, Wis. "I've found allies in all kinds of unexpected places, but overall there's a lot of animosity. Some people act like obesity is the next worst thing after terrorism."
The convention comes as the movement is scrambling to counter federal government pronouncements that obesity is a "critical public health problem" costing more than $100 billion and 300,000 lives per year.
Jeannie Moloo, an American Dietetic Association spokeswo-
man who counsels overweight clients at her nutrition practice in Sacramento, Calif., empathizes with the fight against bias but says they should be wary of oversimplifying obesity-related health issues.
"Some people can be overweight all their lives and not end up with diabetes or heart disease or hypertension," Moloo said. "But the majority are probably going to develop one of these life-altering conditions."
Fat-acceptance groups were dismayed when federal officials announced last month that Medicare was discarding its declaration that obesity isn't a disease. The policy change will likely prompt overweight Americans covered by Medicare to file medical claims for treatments such as stomach surgery and diet programs.
"Obesity is not a disease," insisted Allen Steadham, director of International Size Acceptance Association, based in Austin, Texas. "All this does is open the door for the diet and bariatric surgery industries to make a potentially tremendous profit."
Most fat-acceptance activists endorse the concept of eating healthy food and exercising regularly, but they oppose any fixation on losing weight and contend that more than 95 percent of diets fail. They also decry the rapid growth of stomach-shrinking surgery; the number of such procedures has quadrupled to 100,000 annually since 1998.
Wann depicts bariatric surgery as "stomach amputation" that imposes anorexia on patients and exposes them to long-term risks. Kelly Bliss, a self-described "full-figured fitness instructor" from Lansdowne, Pa., predicts that future generations will look back on stomach surgery as "comparable to lobotomies."
Bliss, who coaches clients by phone and in fitness classes, subscribes to a philosophy called "health at every size" — preaching that health, fitness and self-esteem can be achieved independent of weight.
"There's a war on obese people, and I'm treating the casualties — people whose hearts are being ripped out," Bliss said.
NAAFA and others have tried to combat what they see as rampant discrimination against fat people, but progress has been sporadic. Southwest Airlines, for example, resisted protests targeting its policy of requiring large passengers to purchase a second ticket if they can't fit in a single seat.
"People want to fight for their rights, but there's a lot of shame involved," Steadham said. "It takes a whole lot of determination to stick through it to the end."
A few cities, including San Francisco, explicitly outlaw weight discrimination. Michigan is the only state to do so, but its Civil Rights Department said only five of 1,696 job discrimination complaints filed in 2003 involved weight.
Walter Lindstrom, a San Diego attorney specializing in weight-discrimination cases, said overweight plaintiffs usually must prove that acts of bias against them are covered by federal laws prohibiting discrimination against disabled people.
"These cases are more difficult from a proof standpoint, and also because you're dealing with a very unpopular class of clients," Lindstrom said. "Juries are generally disgusted with your average size-related plaintiff. You have to get past that, and have them see the plaintiff as someone with a true medical problem."
Many fat-acceptance activists were heartened by this year's publication of "The Obesity Myth" by University of Colorado law professor Paul Campos, who contends that diet promoters, drug companies and weight-loss surgeons have whipped up an irrational panic over weight.
Campos shares many of the activists' views but says their effectiveness has been limited.
"The movement has found itself marginalized by drawing its membership and leadership from the far extreme of obesity," he said. "It will be more successful if it can attract the two-thirds of Americans who are being told by the government that they weigh too much — the I-want-to-lose-20-pounds crowd who are starting to feel a certain amount of resentment from the constant haranguing they're getting."

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Sometimes it's hard to differentiate the line between The Onion and reality.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
xbluethunderx said:
Fat activists fed up with U.S. anti-obesity mania
<snip> and contend that more than 95 percent of diets fail.

Bwaahahahaha. I've got a news flash for them. It's got *NOTHING* to do with the *diet* failing. Sheesh. Blaming the diet for failing. :rolleyes:

Thing that gets me is I have to subsidise Fatty's unhealthy lifestyle. :mumble:

-S.S.-

Tweek

I Love Cheap Beer!
stosh said:
Sometimes it's hard to differentiate the line between The Onion and reality.
:stupid: No kidding, I was thinking "this has got to be from The Onion.
People, people -- if you don't want fat ON you, don't put fat IN you. I wonder if they hold their association meetings at Dunkin Donuts or Old Country Buffet?

Stupid fatasses. :rolleyes:

bushwacker

Monkey
Aug 21, 2003
Norcal :/
What's their problem?
Admit your fat..
Go to doctor, get classed as obese...
Get on Medicare...
Since every illness, disease, and abnormal bodily function can be blamed on your obesity, you get cheap medical forever. Right?

Or is that whole "Get medicare if your obese" thing not that easy?

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Tweek said:
People, people -- if you don't want fat ON you, don't put fat IN you. I wonder if they hold their association meetings at Dunkin Donuts or Old Country Buffet?

Yeah I mean don't get me wrong I like to eat but when you weigh 400lbs something is wrong.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
reminds me of those big and proud t-shirts. it is gonna make me sound like a jerk but fat people gross me out. i cant stand the sight of it. now they are making everything to accomodate overweight people. im about tired of america continuously lowering standards to suit the lowest common denominator.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
When they are all 65 and their bones can no longer support their massive weight, and they see regular sized 65 year old dudes riding their bikes and playing with their grandkids... they will change their tune :oink:

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
my mom has patients at the hospital all the time that are having serious trouble breathing. the diagnosis is that they are so overweight that their ribcage begins getting squished into their lungs and eventually weekens so it compresses their lungs. that is so friggin gross.

thanks for the quote rob. :thumb:

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
biggins said:
reminds me of those big and proud t-shirts. it is gonna make me sound like a jerk but fat people gross me out. i cant stand the sight of it. now they are making everything to accomodate overweight people. im about tired of america continuously lowering standards to suit the lowest common denominator.

I am totally with you on that, esp the bit about the shirts, who is honestly proud that they are lazy? It is insane to think that these people are secure with the way they look. It's like saying "hey im lazy as sh1t" that is all, anyone can be fat so why the f would it make you proud, its not like you worked for it, infact that is exactly what you didnt do was work...i am with you all that say it grosses you out as well...damn im kinda getting angry :mumble:

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
manhattanprjkt83 said:
I am totally with you on that, esp the bit about the shirts, who is honestly proud that they are lazy? It is insane to think that these people are secure with the way they look. It's like saying "hey im lazy as sh1t" that is all, anyone can be fat so why the f would it make you proud, its not like you worked for it, infact that is exactly what you didnt do was work...i am with you all that say it grosses you out as well...damn im kinda getting angry :mumble:

well it should make you more angry that your tax dollars are going to them when they file disability so that they can continue sitting around eating twinkies on the citizen dollar.

Cursor

Chimp
Mar 26, 2003
can't find on mapquest
biggins..ask your mom about how dirty and smelly some of these obese people can get. my wife is a RN and said that they found 1/2 a saltine cracker stuck in one of the folds on her patients chest that started to mold. getting crumbs and stuff falling on you while you eat in bed is one thing.....but 1/2 a cracker! (where's that throw up smiley?)

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
Cursor said:
biggins..ask your mom about how dirty and smelly some of these obese people can get. my wife is a RN and said that they found 1/2 a saltine cracker stuck in one of the folds on her patients chest that started to mold. getting crumbs and stuff falling on you while you eat in bed is one thing.....but 1/2 a cracker! (where's that throw up smiley?)
OMG! :stosh:

HedgeHog

Monkey
Nov 8, 2003
Atlanta GA
Cursor said:

I know a lot of people in medicine and they all have stories like that. My X was a nurse for a while and one time she found a sandwhich in the rolls of a large woman who came into the hospital for some tests. She was helping her into a gown and found it. When she asked the woman about it she said she "didn't know if they would feed her". Her tests took all day and required her to NOT EAT. She was trying to sneak some food in. The confiscated sandwhich was already pretty moist from all the sweat.

:eek:

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
Damn theres a lot of hate rollin' in this thread. Just when I finish reading the article and start thinking how ridiculous such support/special interest groups are, I read the vitriolic responses and sadly realize that I guess such things really are needed. It's like the only socially acceptable prejudice left; you can't discriminate if a person is of a different race, religion, national origin, mental or physical impairment or sexual orientation, but so long as their waistline is greater than yours, feel free to be as irrational, cruel or discriminatory as you please. I guess my problem is that I place at least as much value on a person's psychological "quality" as I do their aesthetic attraction. Maybe I just like diamonds because I was dealt them, but I'd like to think that I would still be a nice guy if I didn't wear XXL shirts and 42" pants. I certainly don't look at overly skinny or overly dull people with quite the same level of revulsion displayed in the comments here.

COmtbiker12

Turbo Monkey
Dec 17, 2003
Colorado Springs
llkoolkeg said:
Damn theres a lot of hate rollin' in this thread. Just when I finish reading the article and start thinking how ridiculous such support/special interest groups are, I read the vitriolic responses and sadly realize that I guess such things really are needed. It's like the only socially acceptable prejudice left; you can't discriminate if a person is of a different race, religion, national origin, mental or physical impairment or sexual orientation, but so long as their waistline is greater than yours, feel free to be as irrational, cruel or discriminatory as you please. I guess my problem is that I place at least as much value on a person's psychological "quality" as I do their aesthetic attraction. Maybe I just like diamonds because I was dealt them, but I'd like to think that I would still be a nice guy if I didn't wear XXL shirts and 42" pants. I certainly don't look at overly skinny or overly dull people with quite the same level of revulsion displayed in the comments here.
I wear XL shirts and sometimes I wear 40" paints, not too snug though gotta wear belts. I personally dont hate fat people or anything like that as your post suggests most of us are talking about. I think that most of us just think that extremely large people is just kinda disgusting. its not like we wont talk to them or be friends with them or anything its just kinda gross....

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
llkoolkeg said:
Damn theres a lot of hate rollin' in this thread. <snip> I certainly don't look at overly skinny or overly dull people with quite the same level of revulsion displayed in the comments here.
I don't have any hatred towards fat folks. But like smokers, I'm a little bit pi$$ed that I have to subsidize what they and everyone else *knows* is an extremely unhealthy lifestyle. I'm gonna end up paying more because they "choose" to be unhealthy.

-S.S.-

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
HedgeHog said:
My X was a nurse for a while and one time she found a sandwhich in the rolls of a large woman who came into the hospital for some tests.
So did anyone eat the sandwich? What kind was it? I bet it was roast beef.

Evergrey

Chimp
Jul 2, 2004
Good ol' Rochester
Tweek said:

Tweek your absolutely right! Even if they don't get any exercise, the least a fat mamma can do is stop putting the feedbag on at the drivethrough windows. Don't live to eat, eat to live!~!

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
Is a sweaty wonder bread and bologna sandwich, not the grossest thing ever?!?

Sounds like the kind of thing a frat would for a pledge to eat...

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
biggins said:
i dont hate fat people, they just gross me out thats all.

I understand. I don't hate people that can't spell five letter words like "chief", either; they just gross me out. ;) Whether a person squanders their mental potential or is simply born without much shouldn't affect hatred towards them; it should instead engender the more benevolent feelings of revulsion you suggest.

This whold thread is starting to gross me out between the disgusting stories of moldy smuggleables and the ugly attitudes of some :monkey:s. Hell- they're just sharing their truthful prejudices, I guess. At least it gives us a brief glimpse into what society will be like as the concepts of community and civility continue to erode.

Now that I think about it, I find it disgusting that some people let their bung-lapping dogs lick their mouths and faces. I'll be sure to get on board with the team concept and publicly express my feelings about such pseudo-bestial pet owners next time I see one at the park. :rolleyes:

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
<hijack>
Now that I think about it, I find it disgusting that some people let their bung-lapping dogs lick their mouths and faces. I'll be sure to get on board with the team concept and publicly express my feelings about such pseudo-bestial pet owners next time I see one at the park.
the only thing worse than that is when people dress their pets up in silly outfits and take pictures of them.
</hijack>

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
llkoolkeg said:
This whold thread is starting to gross me out between the disgusting stories of moldy smuggleables and the ugly attitudes of some :monkey:s. Hell- they're just sharing their truthful prejudices, I guess. At least it gives us a brief glimpse into what society will be like as the concepts of community and civility continue to erode.

im with you on this one. if someone wants to stay fat, thats their deal, if they want to stay fat and be proud of it, more power to them. i wish i could have had a little more self confidence when i was a "fatty" but i didnt. Many people should harbor a little less revulsion in what others do and work on themselves some more.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
laura said:
im with you on this one. if someone wants to stay fat, thats their deal,<snip>
But more often than not, it's NOT just "their deal" - they are putting an inordinate amount of pressure on an already pressured public healthcare system. Just as smokers do.

I'm starting to think that extra fees for healthcare coverage should be assessed if you're deemed to be overweight to an unhealthy degree........

-S.S.-

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Haha, I just looked at the NAAFA website. You have to pay to join! Whoever came up with that organization is a f*cking GENIUS :D

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
From the NAAFA website said:
People of all sizes can strive for fitness by making sensible food choices, following an exercise program, and getting regular check-ups.
Hmm, if they did that, they wouldn't be fat anymore. :confused: