Quantcast

The Firestone DH race is on!

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
OK, I just got off the phone with Mike Hecker of RideSB and he has gotten the green light to hold the DH race again. This almost did not happen due to liability concerns after the TBB/Snow Summit fiasco. So we are VERY lucky to have it coming back.

Firestone Walker AMBC MTB Weekend, April 22-24, 2005
Mark your calenders!

I have some requests though:
1. Do NOT poach the course! Riding it ANY time other than the sanctioned race or practice time is a liability and will endanger this race's future.
2. We need help staffing the race, I need volunteers for course marshalling and driving the shuttle vehicles. If yourself or someone you know will be attending and not racing please contact me or Mike Hecker about volunteering.

I will be updating you on the course description and condition as soon as I can. Hope to see you out there!

Vivá la Race!
Noah

http://www.ridesb.com/

konabiker

Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Santa Barbara
sleepinggiant said:
Good to hear it. How do you think the SX would be for that course?
Perfect. A short travel mountain cross bike would have ruled that course last year.
I'm really stoked to see that the race is back on again. Last year it was the most fun track I raced. Zark, will people be allowed to help with building and such this year? I know last year a lot of guys were up there on the weekends helping out. Thanks a lot for helping getting it going again.

Zark

Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Its in Santa Barbara County, near Los Olivos in the wine country, directions are in the link I posted.

Eric, your SX will kick ass there, no worries.

Help with construction? Well I'm working on that detail konabiker. I'll pm you when I know more, but I don't expect we'll be doing much on it until the weeks right before the race.

hecktone

Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Santa Barbara
Hey everyone –

It’s that time again the 6th Annual Firestone Walker MTB Weekend is only 2 and a half months away! The event Date is April 23rd & 24th.

This year we will have four events:

1. The Firestone Walker AMBC/CA State Series Cross Country on Sunday the 24th.
2. The Ridesb.com Short Track XC Saturday Morning the 23rd.
3. The Coastal Tree CA State Series Endurance XC Sunday the 24th.
4. The Chamberlin Ranch AMBC Downhill on Saturday the 23rd.

The info and entry forms are in the process of being uploaded to www.ridesb.com.

I have good news for all the great Downhiller’s out there. After first hearing of the situation at Snow Summit our gracious property owners and title sponsor told me that we needed to avoid doing the Chamberlin Ranch DH. But after negotiating with the powers that be yesterday I was able to convince them that we should do the DH on April 23rd.

But there are some requirements and guidelines that the race organization needs to meet:

1. That there be no riding of the DH course prior to the race. Riding the XC is fine because there would not be any shuttle truck dusting up the Firestone's house.
2. We only "fix" the downhill course the weekend (Sea Otter) and week prior to the event. With such a short period of time to work with that week we will need a lot of volunteers to help. (I'm going to try to get us in earlier than that)
3. That we have enough EMT's on the course to aid with injuries. (We already have Dr. Dave … we need 3 more!)
4. That all the metal posts are removed so that there is no possibility that racers will hit one. We can use the typical wooden stakes and course tape to line the course.
5. That we use the DH course for the XC on Sunday as well. (With wide course ribboning the less technical XC of riders will be allowed to go around the jumps and such.)
6. That we get a trail built that leads from the access road to the top of the DH via a parallel route along Foxen Canyon Road. (We can work on this now.)
7. Both property owners wish to underscore the fact that this event is held 100% on private land and wish to see a minimal amount of riding activity prior to the race.

So here ya go everyone, we need people who want to see the DH event happen to step up before, during, and after the event as course repair and trail builders, volunteers on race day, and to aid with clean up after the race.

We also need Volunteers for all the other activities over the weekend.

To volunteer just call me at (805) 563-0198 or email hecktone@cox.net, we have plenty of jobs available, and I will be furnishing a list shortly.

Please participate in the largest competitive bicycling event in Santa Barbara County for 5 years running!

Enjoy the ride,

Mike Hecker – Owner & Event Director

SG Production / www.ridesb.com

Organizer of fine cycling events on the Central Coast since 1998

PS: If you have not signed the online petition to build a Velodrome here in the SB area get with it and click here http://www.petitiononline.com/mod_perl/signed.cgi?CCVM1. As of today there are 1207 signatures!

W4S

Turbo Monkey
Mar 2, 2004
Back in Hell A, b1thces
How much practice time will we get? Man, those are some pretty strict limitations, do we have to wear bubble wrap over body armor and not exceed 15 mph to race, too? :D

I know you guys are working hard to put this event on, but these limitations still suck!

hecktone

Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Santa Barbara
Practice time will be all day Friday as it was last year and two hours in the morning on Saturday. Bubble rap is optional :eek:

Its all on private property, not forest service, so the owners don't want a lot of activity prior to the event or after. I think it is totally understandable, and am greatful that they decided to even let us do it all, and in a time when other promoters are getting out of the DH biz ....

The limitations are for good reasons like safety and respecting of the land we're on :drool:

The reson we want to build a new trail up to the top of the DH course is becuase over the last year since the race Mr. Chamberlin has cought several people dropping the course, and then driving on his property via secret access that only locals know of. The thought is that if there is a trail to the top, perhaps riders who are tresspassing will leave their cars or trucks parked on the side of the road, and then ride or push to the top, thus limiting liability. After all if a short travel bike is best on that course then those riders might be able to ride the access trail to the top :nopity:

I hope that makes sence, and I really hope to see everyone return to the fastest little DH in these parts ...

hecktone :blah:

Zark

Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Hey Hecky, I found last year's course map and am using that for "experimentation" for the little map project wee discussed. I call ya later about it.

Ohh yeah. Big props to Mike for having the patience, preserverance and balls to keep this thing going. Race promoting is tough stuff, thanks man!

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
Should have 2 guys at least coming down from Santa Clara for it. I'll see if I can pick up a few more by broadcasting at the races. That enduro race looks killer, what is the profile on the Short Track? Is there an SS division or will I be suffering with the gearies?

All I can say is, it'll be nice to have a dry course for once this year. Everything up here is all wet.

The Ito

hecktone

Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Santa Barbara
The Ito - Thanks for broadcasting the event at the races! We need all the help we can get to have a great race.

The DH course is a blast!

As for the profile of the Short Track, it is 100% flat, and about a half a mile long, it's like a road crit. Was a ton of fun last year.

Hecky
www.ridesb.com
:D

mbfanatic

Chimp
Jun 29, 2004
S.B.
This is by far one of the best races of the season. Thanks for fighting for it Mike. I'll be up for some shovel work as well, so let us know when we can help out. I know that a bunch of the groms that hang out at Ellwood are going to race, so I hope the junior category will be awesome this year even though I have to move up to seniors. I'll be racing w/ Zark and Dave this year! It's on! It'll be good to see you again Dave.

-Steve

Zark

Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
mbfanatic said:
I'll be racing w/ Zark and Dave this year! It's on! It'll be good to see you again Dave.

-Steve
Ohh crap, guess I'm screwed :p
You're too fast for sport man ;)

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I'll be on my SX! Noah, I'm pretty sure I can help with the course. Will the whole Bicycles of Ojai team help like last year?

Zark

Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
The XC course map is up, made by yours truly. Enjoy Mofo's!
The DH is the downhill portion of the sport/expert section of the XC course.

http://www.ridesb.com/firestone.htm

p.s. I know the relief looks like crap. I need 10m data to make good relief at that scale. ;)

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
Sweet! $200 Cash for the winner of pro DH! NORBA must follow this good example... I'll definitely be down there racin' it up, and hopefully not all hung over.

hecktone

Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Santa Barbara
Ok everyone,

Our first Chamberlin Ranch DH work day is Saturday March 19th. Everyone who can help is encouraged to try to make it.

Hopefully I'll have been able to mow the tall grass on the top portion of the race course by then.

Here are the details:
1. Meet at 9 AM at the top of the DH course on Foxen Canyon Road.
2. Please bring any dirt or trail tools you may have, like shovels and McClouds.
3. If someone can bring a wheel barrow that would help as well.
4. As per agreement with the property owner and for liability, there can be no riding of the DH Course until the week of the race (for final tunning). So no bikes please, just leave them at home.
5. Bring a lunch, sunscreen, and water.
6. If it rains we'll postpone to the next day Sunday the 20th. If it raiins all weekend, then we'll postpone until the 26th.

You can get a map at http://www.ridesb.com/firestone.htm.

In order to make the second edition of the Rockgardn Chmaberlin Ranch DH a success we really need all the local DH racers on the Central Coast and concerned mtb'ers to step up and help us in a responsible manner fix a years worth of cattle and weather damage to our course.

WE CAN NOT HAVE THIS EVENT WITHOUT YOUR HELP!

So please come out in mass for the next month when you can.

Thanks for your support, :help:

Mike Hecker - The Promoter :oink:
Firestone Walker MTB Weekend - April 22-24, 2005

Zark

Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
I'm bumping this, we need folks out there this weekend! The course won't build itself ya know ;)

Bring a shovel, some water, sunscreen and food. Leave the bike at home.

hecktone

Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Santa Barbara
OK, zark, Li'l Dave, mtnbiker, hucker13, & mbfanatic, this Sunday RAIN OR SHINE the first Chamberlin Ranch DH Trail Work Day is on! It's off of Foxen Canyon Road, outside of Los Olivos. For a complete trail work schedule go here http://www.ridesb.com/firestone_trailschedule.htm.

It's this Sunday, not Saturday, and we meet at 9 AM at the top of the DH. Park on the the side of the road in the turnout.

Just shovels this Sunday and a weed trimmer, no tractor. If you have a flat nose shovel bring that as it would work best. I will have a bunch of Mc Clouds from the SBMTV as well. All we're doing is starting at the top and working our way down week by week. We have to "brush" a 16 inch wide path from the start ramp to about half way down on Sunday. I mowed the top portion of the trail this week, but we need to remove the roots of the weeds to create a trail bed.

Also, this is very important. There can be no riding of the DH course until the week of the race. Last year we had our run of the place and this pissed off the Firestone's who live just below the course. We had to many trucks up and down the dirt access road and too many riders out there in the months leading up to the race. No pushing either. Just leave the bikes at home, please. Not listening or stubburness will only lead to the event's possible cancelation, and none of us want that! (Kurt & John!) :nope:

So in order to even have this event, which is 100% on private land, I needed to agree with the property owners terms. :mumble:

What I'm doing for riders who work at least two days on trail work, is I'm letting them have their own private course "tuning" day the Thursday before the race, that is the 21st of April. This will be their day to have fun and chance to get to know the course. :thumb:

I hope you can still help, please bring some freinds, but leave the bikes at home for now.

If you need to reach me cal me at 896-0673.

Thanks, :D

Mike

mbfanatic

Chimp
Jun 29, 2004
S.B.
Sounds good! I'll do my best to come out there. Right now I've got 3 friends coming. I'll see you all there! Peace.

hecktone

Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Santa Barbara
Fyi, tomorrows Chamberlin Ranch DH trail work is on rain or shine. :help:

If in SB we’re meeting at 8 AM at the Java Station.
If in the SYV we’re meeting at the top of Foxen Canyon Road at the gate where the DH riders exit the shuttle trucks at 9 AM.

WE NEED YOU! :help:
You can get a complete list of trail work days at http://www.ridesb.com/firestone_trailschedule.htm. :nopity:

We will be starting at the top of the DH scraping the year’s worth of weeds off a 15 inch wide trail bed. I just mowed it down this week so it should go rather fast with a good group of people.

Please leave your bikes at home. :nuts:

Thanks and see you tomorrow, make sure to bring gloves, boots, a flat head shovel, a rain coat, food, water, and yourself! :blah:

Hecky

hecktone

Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Santa Barbara
Yesterday, was an outstanding first day of trail work up at the Rockgardn Chamberlin Ranch DH course. (Firestone Walker Weekend)

We had 16 people show up to help us with creating trail bed, rebuilding jumps, weeding the rockgardn jump, building a beginner re-route of the rockgardn, and adding a bermed "s" turn just after the railroad tie drop. :thumb:

We made it about a third of the way down the course! This is great progress for day 1!

Zark, will be posting shome photos later today, so stay tuned.

The next trail work day is next Sundaythe 27th, you can get the the complete trail work schedule at http://www.ridesb.com/firestone_trailschedule.htm.

You can get info on the largest competitive mountain bike race on the Central Coast at http://www.ridesb.com/firestone.htm.

Thanks to all that showed up yesterday, your work will not go unrewarded, if those same 15 people show up a second time to do another 6 hour day of trail work (9-3) then $10 per person will be donated to the SBMTV!

If you want to help build your local race course (We might be using it more often!) and help SBMTV then just volunteer at either two FWMTBW trail work days or one FWMTBW trail day and at the race in April, and $10 will be donated to the SBMTV! :thumb:

Again thanks and see you next Sunday! :D

Hecky - The Promoter

Zark

Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
hucker13 said:
The rockgarden was already rollable. Why add a beginner line?
Because some people were so intimidated that they walked it! :rolleyes:

The beginner line is a "time penalty" line for being a wuss and perfectly acceptable if you ask me.

Also the XC guys and gals will need to ride this on Sunday after the DH race and will need all the cheater lines they can get to keep the pucker factor down. ;)

There are new turns going in on the top, new jumps, the top will be a lot more interesting than last time.

Photos will be up tomorrow. I forgot to take them off the camera last night.

Noah "gimme the McCleoud!" Crary :D

mbfanatic

Chimp
Jun 29, 2004
S.B.
Awesome day yesterday! I'm looking forward to hitting that new zig zag line. Noah, even lazy with the pics eh? I'd throw a dirt clod at you if I could. :)
-Steve

Zark

Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
mbfanatic said:
Awesome day yesterday! I'm looking forward to hitting that new zig zag line. Noah, even lazy with the pics eh? I'd throw a dirt clod at you if I could. :)
-Steve
The zig zag will be awesome, especially with that off camber ending. Folks are gonna get sucked off the trail!

Yeah I fell asleep at like 6pm after that. I was running on 3 hours of sleep out there, yikes!

Next week:
ROTOTILLER ACTION! Die roots die! :evil:
This will provide us with so much dirt for jumps and berms too, its gonna rock!

hecktone

Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Santa Barbara
Hey Zark, do you think that we could utilize all the hill top before "Dr. Dave's Corner" somehow without scrubing too much speed? Like where we stopped just below the "Spungy Jump" scraping the trail, could we add another zig zag that uses the terrain to keep the speed up the, comes back to "Dr. Dave's Corner?" There is a natural bowl there, but I don't want to abandon any of the existing trail.

hecky

Zark

Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
I think we could better utilize the hill between "sponge jump" and Dr. Dave's corner. It don't think zig-zags or s turns are necessarily the call there. But having the trail "undulations" the IMBA crew brought up. Curve up that spot up the hill so its not such a straight shot to the corner. As a bonus at the crest where it rises a small kicker could be placed.

Lets a have a "Manegerial trail design meeting" prior to digging next week and flag it out.

Noah

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
Digging was fun. I can't wait to hit up the course during the XC race :)

More turns are better, use the terrain as much as possible I say, I like the idea of running it up that natural bowl.

The Ito

hecktone

Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Santa Barbara
Zark said:
Lets a have a "Manegerial trail design meeting" prior to digging next week and flag it out.

Ok, I can get away anytime during the week. If we are going to do it early on Sunday, we need to get the diggers started and keep the "Manegerial trail design meeting" to as few chieftens as possible. :p

That means we send the blond guy and his pal with the pink hat to the bottom of the course, with their cooler of beer, where they can do their own! :stupid:

Turns man we need more turns! :thumb:

And we're doing the dog leg this year too! :cool:

Who is The Ito? :monkey:

Hecky

hecktone

Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Santa Barbara
mkspecialsauce said:
It was definitley alot of fun out their diggin last Sunday. The course is going to be sick this year!!!!!!! :)
hey specialsaucer - try to recruit some local santa maria mtb'rs to come with you ... did you get a flyer with the other dates on it? :mumble:

mh