Quantcast

the gearbox thread

dsotm

Monkey
Jul 21, 2006
WRJ, VT
is that possible?

did you move out west?
Big companies rarely have any idea what's going on outside of their specific branch. Apparently ohlins america had never even heard of the technology in the DB shock until Cane Creek walked through their door with the proto, for example. And yes, DHS moved, I've seen pics of him riding in cali on MTBR.

metzy

Chimp
Sep 13, 2006
Went for 2 hour ish ride on my bike today, did everything it should do, change gears, pedal well, gobble up bumps...... will ride for a while then give it a lick of paint.

fun fun fun.....

Attachments

julian_dh

Monkey
Jan 10, 2005
Went for 2 hour ish ride on my bike today, did everything it should do, change gears, pedal well, gobble up bumps...... will ride for a while then give it a lick of paint.

fun fun fun.....
thats sick man, care to elaborate on the drivetrain?

Cave Dweller

Monkey
May 6, 2003

fun fun fun.....
What happened to the inboard brake setup??

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
Solid bike has their new rig up on their website.

http://www.solidbikes.de/solution.html

I don't know man, I'd like to see a closeup of the rear hub. That chain looks a little slack. I figure when the suspension compresses, the chain stretches, that derailleur looking thing probably keeps tension but I'd doubt the chain could stay on the cog on the hub unless there was some sort of little chain guide.

Tetreault

Monkey
Nov 23, 2005
SoMeWhErE NoWhErE
im definatly going to say that the "gearbox" or internal hub system deal is going to take over once they can make it more affordable, when the time comes that u can pick up a g-boxx frame for 2500 they will be every where

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
originally posted by julian dh
Worth Brake Placment Ever
that is so true. the ironhorse yakuza whatever came with the same setup and has done nothing but cause problems. ohh and metzy that thing is sic man. nice to see the gearbox trend going to trail bikes.

metzy

Chimp
Sep 13, 2006
After a little more testing I can say:This is how suspension should be. That rear wheel is so light and stiff, I can't even feel fast chatter bump sections, big hits just get swallowed.............. I could go on and on............ and on. Shifting is pretty sweet, smooth and oiled up. wiah I built this years ago.

Some one asked a question re the inboard brake, I chose to so traditional, keeps it a bit narrower, couldn't get the pedalling geometry I wanted with concentric drive sprocket/pivot.

Attachments

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
where are you finding this info? rohloff is coming out with a triggered 7speed?
from that pdf it looks like universal transmissions (aka nicolai) is coming out with a trigger for the 14spd rohloff guts (which could be huge in terms of aftermarket sales) as well as one for their own 7spd tranny. also heard that rohloff was working on a lighter unit (don't know if this entails a reduction in gears though).

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
The twit shifter aint that bad. I just run a long grip with your hand only just touching the shifter. You then just move your hand a touch to change,no big deal. The Rohloff shifter is harder to shift than a normal twit shifter so I never have mis shifts anyways.
An up paddle on one side and down on the other would be the best set up but I don't think it would work due to the system.

LaharDesign

Monkey
Jun 16, 2006
good work metzy, cant wait for a test ride.

With the shifter you need a ratchet system that decouples when the shift lever isn't being twiddled. So the cable spool can turn the other way. you could put one on each bar if a cable tensioning spring was on the spool to keep it all sharp.

Whoops

Turbo Monkey
Jul 9, 2006
New Zealand
After a little more testing I can say:This is how suspension should be. That rear wheel is so light and stiff, I can't even feel fast chatter bump sections, big hits just get swallowed.............. I could go on and on............ and on. Shifting is pretty sweet, smooth and oiled up. wiah I built this years ago.

Some one asked a question re the inboard brake, I chose to so traditional, keeps it a bit narrower, couldn't get the pedalling geometry I wanted with concentric drive sprocket/pivot.
Hi Rob

Once again, looking superb. Any chance of posting a total weight?

The fact that you're 17.5 foot tall means I'd never be able to reach the pedals - so tell me again how good it is again, and when you're taking orders...

cheers

Sam

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
Regarding that pdf file, the thought of a trigger shifter excites me!! IF Rohloff had made one a long time ago, more people would be using the hubs today. I'm looking forward to see how that shifter works.

Punter

Chimp
May 8, 2006

thats pretty tasty looking **** rob.

bingo tingo i love carbon

LaharDesign

Monkey
Jun 16, 2006
Good work Dodzy winning the on the day entry pro race at the NZ nats for the gearbox revolution. 1 sec victory over Lahar m8 privateer Scott Sheldon.
Great to see another Gearbox bike winning races.
Love to hear of any other race success from the leading edge.

SlackBoy

Monkey
Apr 1, 2002
Wellington, New Zealand
Good work Dodzy winning the on the day entry pro race at the NZ nats for the gearbox revolution. 1 sec victory over Lahar m8 privateer Scott Sheldon.
Great to see another Gearbox bike winning races.
Love to hear of any other race success from the leading edge.
Unfortunatly Aaron he wasn't running his gearbox bike. He was on a GT DHI. His one needs new bearings

metzy

Chimp
Sep 13, 2006
Have just been down the South Island NZ for 6 weeks, my bike got a real thrashing, 5 heli drops, massive hike-a-bikes, about 80 odd hours of bike wrecking, root infested trail riding.

Didn't bash my derailleur once!!

Attachments

LaharDesign

Monkey
Jun 16, 2006
Have just been down the South Island NZ for 6 weeks, my bike got a real thrashing, 5 heli drops, massive hike-a-bikes, about 80 odd hours of bike wrecking, root infested trail riding.

Didn't bash my derailleur once!!
Ain't it great!
you back in rotovegas?

EVRAC

Monkey
Jun 21, 2004
Port Coquitlam, B.C., Canada
Millyard racing:

From NSMB:

Sea Otter is like Mardi Gras for the bicycling set . You'll see folks walking around with their mountain bike from 1987 - from Ritcheys to Bridgestones - wearing the now threadbare lycra they wore then. The proximity to San Francisco means there are lots of freaks - and that's not a dirty word within 100 miles of the Bay Area. Some of the characters hail from farther afield though and I bumped into a trio of Brits pushing around a very interesting DH bike. Stephen Millyard is one of the luckier young racers around. His father likes to design and manufacture products for his bike. Earlier he put together a double disc front wheel and since his ambitions have blossomed into a complete frame.

It sports a derailleur-less drivetrain similar to that on GT's monster IT-1 but it manages to look much more elegant while encasing the chain in the left side of the swingarm. A Shimano 8 speed Nexus hub performs the shifting duties and the entire package comes in at around 42 lbs (the IT-1 is around 50). The rear shock is Millyard built one-off as well and was designed by one of Stephen's dad's comrades. When I asked the two mad scientists their chosen occupation I was met with "best not ask that question." All right then. Stephen told us he loves the bike with the proprietary shock so much that he won't go back to something built by Fox or Marzocchi. Let's hope this is a step towards the death of the venerable derailleur - the mountain bike's achilles heel.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Impressive bike only thing is the BB looks a little high but clean lines. Would love to give it a try. Can't believe they build their own shock!

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
some impressive work on the millyard. custom shock = wow. i'd question the logic of placing the weight of the gearbox on the swingarm, but it is a nice clean design. here's the double disc: