Quantcast

The "I Have Zero Faith In Humanity" Thread

gonefirefightin

free wieners
I was pissed when I figured out my wife's car can't play CD's. :rofl:
All of my purchased movies are now in the cloud, music is all in the phone and books are all electronic. I doubt I will need much of a bookcase in the new house other than for old final edition stuff.

back in 2002 or so, I was stoked to get the Kenwood MP3 keg installed in my taco, 10MB of disc space for all my torrent rips. Never looked back since. I did have an affliction for laserdiscs at one point but that waned with the advent of DVD pretty quickly

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
All of my purchased movies are now in the cloud, music is all in the phone and books are all electronic. I doubt I will need much of a bookcase in the new house other than for old final edition stuff.

back in 2002 or so, I was stoked to get the Kenwood MP3 keg installed in my taco, 10MB of disc space for all my torrent rips. Never looked back since. I did have an affliction for laserdiscs at one point but that waned with the advent of DVD pretty quickly
I used to have a huge home and car audio installations, but the last stereo I did was my ghetto shallow mount sub and amp in Amber in like '12 and I barely have a turntable now and my TV has no external speakers.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
I really, really want to do a proper install in my truck, but with integrated head unit everything, and tighter and tighter spaces that require specific tools to access, it’s either just not really worth the squeeze.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
I used to have a huge home and car audio installations, but the last stereo I did was my ghetto shallow mount sub and amp in Amber in like '12 and I barely have a turntable now and my TV has no external speakers.
I still have a full Naim system, monoblocks, seperate power supplies, turntable, tape, cd, tuner and some nice Totem isobarik speakers in the basement.
Too bad I have a constant migraine now. :mad:

My youngest is heavily into music, so it is not a waste. He is salivating at getting his paws on my albums and cds, so...

I also have an amp, and some raw drivers for a car install. I just may go ahead with that as the stock is so bad I have to turn it up to the point I'm uncomfortable in the few instances my head will allow some tunes, otherwise it sounds like the worlds worst transistor radio.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I still have a full Naim system, monoblocks, seperate power supplies, turntable, tape, cd, tuner and some nice Totem isobarik speakers in the basement.
Too bad I have a constant migraine now. :mad:

My youngest is heavily into music, so it is not a waste. He is salivating at getting his paws on my albums and cds, so...

I also have an amp, and some raw drivers for a car install. I just may go ahead with that as the stock is so bad I have to turn it up to the point I'm uncomfortable in the few instances my head will allow some tunes, otherwise it sounds like the worlds worst transistor radio.
My last setup I gave up in the divorce. I still have my Infinity towers in the corner of my room not hooked up to anything. I would love to find an old tube amp and do a 2.1 setup with them and a sound bar, but the wife isn't interested.

I was a huge car audio geek after high school, but the last big stereo I did for myself got took at Clackamas Town Center Mall back in '95. :rofl:

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I keep wanting to get a small setup with one of those bluetooth tube amp things and appropriate small speakers. I can't remember the brand I looked at a few years ago, I'm sure there's dozens now.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I know it's anachronistic, but if I'm spending money, I'm getting physical media. I don't even care if it's tape or vinyl, though I prefer a CD, but I'll be damned if I'm spending money for ephemeral media.
I gave up on CDs when I realized my giant old Pioneer CD player sounded like utter garbage. Not the CDs fault but now when I purchase I get records to collect dust and CD quality downloads that get listened to.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I keep wanting to get a small setup with one of those bluetooth tube amp things and appropriate small speakers. I can't remember the brand I looked at a few years ago, I'm sure there's dozens now.
The sound quality on these little buggers is pretty amazing for the price, especially considering the power output. I built up a Raspberry Pi with a HiFiBerry DAC. Makes for a cheap, small, quality setup.

I occasionally enjoy hooking up my big inefficient tube amp but only in the dead of winter, that thing pumps out massive amounts of heat. You also need pretty sensitive speakers to make reasonable volume with le toobz.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
I am curious as to why they don’t make Bluetooth subwoofers for vehicles that easily connect to a factory head unit.
(maybe they do?)
It would make things SO much simpler, and at those frequencies, whatever compression or loss would probably not be audible to most people, especially with road noise.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I am curious as to why they don’t make Bluetooth subwoofers for vehicles that easily connect to a factory head unit.
(maybe they do?)
It would make things SO much simpler, and at those frequencies, whatever compression or loss would probably not be audible to most people, especially with road noise.
I think the issue is power. How are you powering the sub, via Bluetooth?

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
Good point, I have always run either O or 4 g wire straight to the battery, and on my last truck, with a much bigger alternator. I forgot about that.
Would probably work ok with a low power sub to tap into some 12v accessory wire, but yeah, not for anything that really hits.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
JFC

:wtf:

Does that mean we can now legally run over douchebags in the backcountry?
They are life and out in the wilds. Wheres Woo when you need him?

Some "people" are nothing but oxygen thieves.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Well that, and the fat.
My wife just got her IUD out, so theoretically it could happen. But it won't, thank gawd. I can't imagine having a child right now at this age, yet I know a few folks who have. My goal was an empty nest while I'm still able to enjoy the freedom. We have had a couple visitors, but that's it.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
My wife just got her IUD out, so theoretically it could happen. But it won't, thank gawd. I can't imagine having a child right now at this age, yet I know a few folks who have. My goal was an empty nest while I'm still able to enjoy the freedom. We have had a couple visitors, but that's it.
SMRT
One and DEFINITELY done in our house.