Quantcast

The Mt. Wilson Shuttle Run & BBQ Spectacular

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Since the last ride was a great success we're going to do it again!
Come one, come all to the Mt Wilson shuttle and apres ride BBQ spectacular!

Ride with us in the morning and then drink too much beer and eat too much food with us in the afternoon! (Food details to be worked out, but we're looking at carne asada and salsa!) BYOB, unless you're driving the shuttle, in which case you drink for free.

More info and pics of our last ride can be found here: http://www.punkduck.com/shuttle/
More details to follow.

When: Saturday May 28th, 2005. Shuttle leaves at appx. 8:30am, maybe 9:00.

Where: Meet at JPL Parking Lot. 210 fwy, off at Windsor, go up.

Trails: Some fire road, Sam Merrill, Sunset, Altadena Crest

Take your favorite route to the 210 freeway heading WEST. Go through Pasadena... Stay on the 210 when it splits. Get off at the ARROYO/WINDSOR exit (The Jack In The Box exit). At the bottom of the ramp go right. Go up the road about a mile or so and the parking lot will be on your left right before the street turns to the right. It's hard to miss.

webb

Chimp
Mar 13, 2005
echo park
I'm in. pm me if anyone's interested in how not to make it back to the jpl parking lot. I'm great with directions to the post-ride bbq also.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Hey everyone. I'd like to start getting a preliminary head count so I can plan the food.

Also, is anyone interested in grabbing a couple of shovels and doing a little work on the lower part (the horse trails, the last trail we ride)? Maybe fix a turn or two, add a feature or two. I am thinking this sunday (after a ride) or after work this week or next week.

You guys down south better make it! You won't regret it!

R

Rabie

Orven said:
What about this Saturdeeee!?!?!? 14th.
Come up on Sunday, and I'll show you all the secret hucks.

And Ciaran, why not just ride El Prieto at the bottom? Is it washed out? I haven't been out there in a long time.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Rabie said:
Come up on Sunday, and I'll show you all the secret hucks.

And Ciaran, why not just ride El Prieto at the bottom? Is it washed out? I haven't been out there in a long time.
Because I am not sure about the route. I am trying to avoid uphills as much as possible and as I have not gone out and rode E.P. enough to know where I am really going. I didn't want to take everyone on a shuttle and have them climbing for an hour. I am always up for more routes though. I am planning doing the Mt. Wilson shuttles on a regular basis with after ride fun (Bars, BBQ's, parties, etc) and want to have a variety of routes for everyone to have fun on. The lower section that I am currently using is not highly traveled and has some nice hidden spots that may be usable as ahem, "bonus sections", provided I can get my butt out there with a shovel. One of the upper sections (middle merrill) leads to the Old Mt. Lowe Hotel which has some nice stairs and drops to play on.

I am working on riding everything up there and am getting to know the area so eventually I can be a good guide for everyone. Mt. Wilson is a great place to ride and I want to share it with other riders and hopefully make some new friends and riding partners. Sometimes after ride fun can provide motivation to folks who otherwise might not come out. (coughcoughsandiegocoughcough)

I ride there a few times a week and am always up to ride with others. I will be shuttling it this Sunday if anyone wants to join me. (I am riding after work tonight too, but I'm not shuttling, I'm riding and pushing up). Just send me a PM and we'll work out what time to ride. These rides that I am organizing are hopefully not just a great ride but a fun way to hang out and meet people and drink some beers and have some food afterwards (Not just a ride, but a social event! LOL). And I can disseminate my propaganda too! If a route or particular section doesn't work for people let me know and I'll change it. I'm flexable.

So come on out and ride with us and then drink beer and eat some fire grilled cow. And if you think you can hang, we'll do two runs. (Everyone talks about it, no one ever does it). Let me know if anyone has any questions. Snutty, I will check the distance and let you know how far you are. Mt. Wilson is in Pasadena. It is actually many mountians, peaks and such, but for simplicitys sake I just call it all "Mt. Wilson".

L

LFB

I'm interested!
I haven't been riding up there in years, but I remember how much fun it is!

How many shuttle runs are planned? How about a quick Hilyer to Silver Moccasin shuttle?

Hopefully, I'll get a chance to ride my VPX before then (work has been tough lately), but if not, that could be it's virgin ride.

For shuttling, I have a full-sized, extra-cab Dodge truck that can carry 6 people and bikes (albeit tight, but it works).

Lee

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
LFB said:
I'm interested!
I haven't been riding up there in years, but I remember how much fun it is!

How many shuttle runs are planned? How about a quick Hilyer to Silver Moccasin shuttle?

Hopefully, I'll get a chance to ride my VPX before then (work has been tough lately), but if not, that could be it's virgin ride.

For shuttling, I have a full-sized, extra-cab Dodge truck that can carry 6 people and bikes (albeit tight, but it works).

Lee
Awsome! I hope you can make it!

We are going to try and do two runs, but they are fairly long. Last time everyone wanted beer more than a second run. :D

Anyone who drives/shuttles will get some free beer.

I know not of this Hilyer to Silver Moccasin that you speak of. Info?

R

Rabie

Pegboy said:
Rabie said:

And Ciaran, why not just ride El Prieto at the bottom?

Rabie, if you are going to recomend routes use english.
Pegboy, if you are going to quote someone, don't delete the html tags.

R

Rabie

Orven said:
Rabie said:
and if you guys are just firing away at each other, spare us and use PM.
Don't feel alienated cause you weren't included in our bro-bonding. So are you coming up to ride on Sunday or what?

TYM

Monkey
Sep 10, 2001
Torrance CA
I did a xc ride there Sunday and scoped out the park next to the equestrian center. If you go around to the other side there's a huge grass area and plenty of parking. Slightly ghetto but it should do.

freerder56

Chimp
May 4, 2005
B.P. socall
Preieto is rideable now after alot of trail work, still alot of poison oak , but still fun. There is another trail on the other side of wilson called sturdevent, alittle shorter than wilson, most in the shade,alittle rock garden , a fun ride. You end up at chantry flats.One steep climb out on a paved road maybe half mile.Than you ride the road down to santa anita ave.Where you leave a truck or 2 to take you back to jpl. Not many hikers either. PM me for more info

L

LFB

Stuardevant (or however it's spelled) is a fun trail - many offramps (off the trail if you're not careful). Lots of hikers and many blind turns. The paved hill at the end is a real @#$% on a big bike.

L

LFB

Ciaran said:
I know not of this Hilyer to Silver Moccasin that you speak of. Info?
Those names are the best description I can give. Sorry. It's a fun shuttle - not too long, but I think it's really fun. I remember seeing a sign of Chilao campground, so it must be nearby.

Several friends and I used to do what we called a Triple Threat, which included three shuttle runs in the day.
1) Hilyer to Silver Moaccasin
2) Red Box JPL
3) Stuartavant to Chantry Flats.

Yes, it made for a long day, but it was a blast. We met at the bottom of Chantry Flats (down the road) for the first vehicle drop-off at 6:30 am. After having lunch somewhere mid-day, we'd be done riding by 4:30 or so, depending on how much we stopped and played (or stopped for beer checks). I've been trying to get my old buddies (okay, so a few of them are in their 40s, so I can say that) to do a Triple Threat at night - starting at 8:00 pm. We should be finished by dawn. Due to the additional challenge of darkness, we may forego the celebratory tequilla shot at the beginning of each run. Anyone interested? It takes a minimum of 3 capable shuttle vehicles, plus one car (it doesn't need to carry bikes - only one passenger), which translates into a minimum of four people and a maximum of six. A higher number of people into 6 capable shuttle vehicles (plus the one car). We've done both combinations, and have it figured out pretty well. There is a way of doing it with 2 (for the first combo) or 5 shuttle vehicles, though. Sorry for the detail, I can explain more if we get to that point.

freerder56

Chimp
May 4, 2005
B.P. socall
I BELIEVE MOST OF THE SINGLETRACK IN THE SAN GABLS HAVE BLIND CORNERS. CHANTRY FLATS HAS BEEN CLOSED FOR ABOUT 10 MNTS, SO VERY FEW HIKERS,BEEN DOING CHANTRY ABOUT EVERY MONTH OR 2 FOR 2YEARS .THE HIKE OUT IS STEEP BUT NOT AS LONG AS THE HIKE FROM MDL MERREL TO SUNSET :cool:

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Rode this last weekend and it's looking nice. I am working on the lower section of the trail this week and next.

BBQ is going to be carne asada and salsa and tortillas. BYOB unless you're a shuttle driver. I will supply the carne, salsa, and tortillas. If anyone wants to bring anything it will be appreciated. Donations towords the BBQ are also appreciated.

The last section is short (about 15 - 20 minutes to run through it) and it's shuttleable. If anyone wants we can run some short shuttles and maybe a few races after the ride. Also, if there is enough interest, I am up for doing two runs.

If you can shuttle (have a truck) let me know as we need shuttle vehicles, and I will bring beer for ya. If you don't drink I'll bring soft drinks.

I hope you all can make it. We're only another 45 minutes past the skyline ride so no excuses! :thumb:

L

LFB

I know it's still more than a week out, but I still plan on doing this. I will be coming from North Orange county area.

What do you mean by a few races afterward?

A friend of mine is interested in going, but she doesn't have DH experience (she rides San Juan a lot), and she's concerned that the pace is going to be too fast for her. I may loan her my extra DH bike (GT DHi), or she may bring her FSR. Any thoughts? I know Red Box JPL isn't really DH as much as it is XC, but I'm not familiar with some of the other trails mentioned here.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
LFB said:
I know it's still more than a week out, but I still plan on doing this. I will be coming from North Orange county area.

What do you mean by a few races afterward?

A friend of mine is interested in going, but she doesn't have DH experience (she rides San Juan a lot), and she's concerned that the pace is going to be too fast for her. I may loan her my extra DH bike (GT DHi), or she may bring her FSR. Any thoughts? I know Red Box JPL isn't really DH as much as it is XC, but I'm not familiar with some of the other trails mentioned here.
San Juan is probably more difficult than anything I've ever ridden on Wilson...especially after all the erosion in the past year (damned rain!).

I'll be on a hardtail myself, and I'm sure we'll be waiting for the group to catch up at important trail junctions...so bike and pace shouldn't be too much of a concern.

But I guess we should see what Ciaran has in store for us...if there's more serious DH stuff involved, I might bring the DH bike. But I don't relish riding it up the climbs involved with riding Wilson, even on a shuttle...

MD

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
I've never ridden San Juan so I can't give a comparison, but I would trust MikeD's analysis, he's ridden many places.

There are 3 "catch up" spots to wait for the slower riders. Personally I am a mid pack rider, but will step it up if I have to lead a group of faster riders down trails they don't know. The last ride we did, Josh, and Pegboy were on my tire the whole way down so this time I think I'll let them lead the way :D The nice thing about being a slower rider is that the fast guys can take pix of you.

As for the racing thing, I was just thinking of quick runs down the last trail if I can work out the correct route. Send two riders down head to head for a little fun. We'll see if it works out. Winner get's beer!

As far as what bike to bring... well, maybe TYM or pegboy can give better opinions as they were at the last ride (same route). I have ridden it on hardtails, and DH bikes (DH9). Givin my choice I would probably bring an aggressive XC or freeride bike. There are no big drops or jumps that would require a big 9 inch travel bike, but if you want to bring it the uphills are short enough that you can push it without tiring yourself out. Longest uphill is 0.8 miles and is only steep at the very end. This is the trail from Middle Merril and the hotel connecting to Sunset trail. The first uphill is from the parking lot to the trailhead. Maybe 1/4 mile and rideable in your middle ring. The last two are very short and rideable especially with momentum, unless you're on a full on DH rig. I'll see if I can find the trail map and post it.

If you have any questions or concerns feel free to let me know. I want to make it fun for everyone. Newbies and the old hard core gnar hucksters alike.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Oh, I'll be the photographer...hmm, might even bring the "real" camera(s) if we're doing 2 runs...

Dog Welder

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Pasadena, CA
Ciaran said:
I've never ridden San Juan so I can't give a comparison, but I would trust MikeD's analysis, he's ridden many places.

Yeah right...the first/last time i rode San Juan these were MikeDs exact words...

Dude..you can do it on a DH bike.

F U Mike D....F U hard

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Dog Welder said:
Yeah right...the first/last time i rode San Juan these were MikeDs exact words...

Dude..you can do it on a DH bike.

F U Mike D....F U hard
My fault entirely...I forgot what a pussy you were...

MD

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
For those of you who have GF's that are going to be bored while we ride, my GF has informed me that she'll be hanging out having coffee and then going to a local farmers market and then to the park to meet up with us after we ride. She said that if anyones GF/wife/SO wants to come out and hang with her, she would welcome the company.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
BMXman said:
damn so nothing on Sunday huh?
Are you kidding? Sunday is the Indy 500!

If you want to come back up, I would be up for shuttling again sunday morning, but I want to be back home in time watch the race which starts at noon. Monday is memorial day though. I would be up for riding. Maybe kenter?

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Well, Donnie and I could come up on Sunday or Monday as part of a San Diego to LA rally...(good pre-Indy 500 event...)

Anyone else from SD or OC into that?

MD

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
Ciaran said:
Are you kidding? Sunday is the Indy 500!

If you want to come back up, I would be up for shuttling again sunday morning, but I want to be back home in time watch the race which starts at noon. Monday is memorial day though. I would be up for riding. Maybe kenter?

Ahhh i guy after my own heart, glad to see it's just not us Hoosiers out here in Cali that have our Memorial Sunday priorities.

L

LFB

Hmm...you guys talking about things I don't understand. Let me get this straight...you'd rather watch others having fun more than DOING something fun yourself? Ok...? The rally thing is cool, though.

I'd much rather be doing something than watching. Needless to say, I don't care to watch sports, either.

So how many people are up for riding on Saturday?

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
lovebunny said:
how much pedaling is involved? as i do have asthma and i dunno if i want the showdown to happen on a run where i wont be able to breath
There are three uphills - 0.5 miles (appx) from the parking lot to the trailhead where we start going down. A nice warm up. The second is 0.8 miles from the second catch up spot to the next singletrack. This one is mostly flat with a short steep section at the end. The last trail has two very short (<.5 miles) uphills. The first you can get up with momentum, maybe a couple minutes of pedalling or pushing. And the very last is also very short and takes us up out of the canyon to the street where the ride ends.

Some parts of the trails get flat and you can pedal if you want. I find that each time I ride the route I pedal less because I am carring more speed into the flat and/or uphill sections. All in all there is about 2.5 miles of uphill out of the 10+ miles of down. Come up, bring your Albuterol just in case, and if the uphills turn out to be too much I will send you down an alternate (paved) escape route.

I have a map on this page ---> http://www.punkduck.com/easter_ride.htm The uphills are in blue, the downhills are in pink/red. Sorry it's not a better map.