Quantcast

The new Foes RS7

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
If you know what you're doing, I'm sure you could take the cv/t valve out of Curnutt and give it a compression shim stack. It can be done to a 5th element and a swinger, so why not the curnutt? Are the internals proprietary? or does it require some special tool to open?
did you just say add shimz? did you?

we need a "moar shimz" smiley.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
no special tools are needed, but everything inside is proprietary. every part of that shock is made in-house at Foes, except probably the spring.
Do you have any pics of the internals? Just because it's proprietary internals doesn't mean it couldn't be done.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
What is the problem with all you people? Gosh, you are actually riding your bikes? :disgust1: See, this is where your problem is. Use your bike like everybody else here: as a modern sculpture to show off in the parking lot or on the web! And then you don't get very far with a round tubed frame. Fancy hydroforming + crazy paintjob = winner!

BTW: Steve Jones, you know THE tester to end all tests, really liked the Curnutt shocks and the Foes bikes. How can they be bad then?

:imstupid:

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
The raw looks perfectly normal for a aluminum bike just out of heat treat. The raw Intense and Turner frames have the same look. If you want it shiny, you need to ball burnish or go to town with the Brasso.

And while I see the point of hydroforming on some bikes (Nomad hump, Uzzi headtube flare) this bike seems like they did it just for look.

What's the point of making a "Race Specific" bike that can only run 2.3" tires?

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
The raw looks perfectly normal for a aluminum bike just out of heat treat. The raw Intense and Turner frames have the same look. If you want it shiny, you need to ball burnish or go to town with the Brasso.

And while I see the point of hydroforming on some bikes (Nomad hump, Uzzi headtube flare) this bike seems like they did it just for look.

What's the point of making a "Race Specific" bike that can only run 2.3" tires?
i havent seen a "works" intense with that much oxidation before..i ordered my RS7 in raw, and im hoping that it doesnt get bad like the frame in the pictyre.

i kinda like the top tube personally. im sure it doesnt need to be that beefed up, but to me its a gorgeous frame.

i asked the O.P. and he said his buddy is running a 2.5" w/ no problems....but all of the Foes info says 2.3".

BmxConvert

Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Longview, Washington
My M3 looked exactly the same as the Foes does(did). I think that it looks worse due to my camera. I've just got a little Canon A95 and the lighting wasn't so great.

To the guy asking about the race specific frame limited to 2.3" tires. I don't see alot of need for running a 2.5, it's added rolling resistance and its really not neccasary. Heck I run Tioga Team DH 2.1 on the back of my Foes and I love it. Kenda 2.35's are closer to a 2.5 than a 2.35.
They're not saying that you can't run a 2.5 and that you can only run a tire with a 2.35 stamped on it, they are simply implying that there is less space than many other frames and that you should be aware that a norrow tire than a volumptious 2.5 is ideal.
Like I said, the owner of the frame has a 2.5 maxxis high roller on there(surprisingly a very large volums tire) and it clears the floating brake arm just fine and thats where clearance issues arise.

Our snow is still 18" deep on our DH trail and AM trails systems, but it's melting so we should be out for a ride mid january. So far the word on the bike is "a dream". They traveled up north to get some riding done. I would have liked to take it for a spin but doctors and a date kept me from making it up there for riding and pictures.

-Kevin

Last edited:

bad63lac

Chimp
Dec 22, 2008
North Jersey
yeah thats weird....my buddy's Socom and M6 dont look that bad

I will chime in as well and say that my Works Socom has even MORE oxidation than those shown.

Also take a look at the close-ups of the Sicklines Socom, same thing.

Lastly, there's plenty of photos of the Works blue or red and those are translucent powdercoats over the Works raw and you can see all sorts of marks on it (which is the beauty of those finishes).

As mentioned, those marks are the products of both welding the frame and heat treating. You may find some frames w/o much of those marks but most of them do have that.

A quick scrub w/ a scotchbrite pad will remove it...

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
I will chime in as well and say that my Works Socom has even MORE oxidation than those shown.

Also take a look at the close-ups of the Sicklines Socom, same thing.

Lastly, there's plenty of photos of the Works blue or red and those are translucent powdercoats over the Works raw and you can see all sorts of marks on it (which is the beauty of those finishes).

As mentioned, those marks are the products of both welding the frame and heat treating. You may find some frames w/o much of those marks but most of them do have that.

A quick scrub w/ a scotchbrite pad will remove it...
okay, gotcha.

scotchbrite huh? ill try that when i get my frame. thanks

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
please dont start w/ the anti-curnutt bs.

ill weight it when it comes next week
Have you ever ridden a Curnutt coil or air?

I never tried the AIR version, so I wont start. Let us know how it is.

What did you use to ride?

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Have you ever ridden a Curnutt coil or air?

I never tried the AIR version, so I wont start. Let us know how it is.

What did you use to ride?
uhh yeah, ive riden the XTD coil on my DHS for the past two years. i love the shock as well. its my second favorite after my Avy

Last edited:

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
uhh yeah, ive riden the XTD coil on my DHS for the past two years. i love the shock as well. its my second favorite after my Avy
Im glad for ya.
How about air version?

I had an Avy and Curnutt on both my Flys. I just didnt like the COIL Curnutt. Id like to try the AIR.

Last edited:

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
i havent yet.
didnt mean to be a dick, but im sick of people getting on about how bad they think the shock is.

the coil did take some getting used to....especially coming from a Avy on my V10. its like no other shock, which you obviously know. after talking with Brent Foes yesterday im gonna try a few new things on my coil to see if itll make a difference

Last edited:

BmxConvert

Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Longview, Washington
My frame was a Fly getting some changes made to it(hence the need for heat treat) in addition to having the shock revalved and resprung(my previous spring was too heavy). Paint will be a special deal done locally.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
i havent yet.
didnt mean to be a dick, but im sick of people getting on about how bad they think the shock is.

the coil did take some getting used to....especially coming from a Avy on my V10. its like no other shock, which you obviously know. after talking with Brent Foes yesterday im gonna try a few new things on my coil to see if itll make a difference

Wait..it sounds like you have the exact same problem as all of us, poor shock performance. It'd be one thing if you thought the curnutt was the plushest most bump-absorbing thing out there, but it seems to not be the case. Kind of hard to blame those of us that experienced poor shock performance, kinda bummed to have spent that kind of money for that kind of performance.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Wait..it sounds like you have the exact same problem as all of us, poor shock performance. It'd be one thing if you thought the curnutt was the plushest most bump-absorbing thing out there, but it seems to not be the case. Kind of hard to blame those of us that experienced poor shock performance, kinda bummed to have spent that kind of money for that kind of performance.
i dont believe i ever said the shock performed poor. i said it was a big change coming from my Avy. i love my Curnutt shock and I love my Avy. both offer two completely different types of feel to them. granted the Curnutt might not be the most plush, but im okay with that. the air, im sure, will feel a lot different than the coil XTD. by dropping the psi on my coil as per Brent's recommendation, the shock feels a lot more plush than it did at 25psi higher.
the knocking in the air cavity did take some getting used to...like a whole year. thats my biggest gripe about the coil

Last edited:

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
If lowering the PSi in the air shock would make it plusher, that would mean that you have to run something undersprung to make it do its job properly. Its the same as lowering the spring rate on the coil to something below whats recommended, which just seems silly.

The new Curnutt shocks sould exactly like the crap air shocks of old, except instead of a "pedalling platform" we simply called it stiction, and realized it was a fault, not a feature.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
so that's what the heck that noise is
yes, its the internals making that noise.

If lowering the PSi in the air shock would make it plusher, that would mean that you have to run something undersprung to make it do its job properly. Its the same as lowering the spring rate on the coil to something below whats recommended, which just seems silly.

The new Curnutt shocks sould exactly like the crap air shocks of old, except instead of a "pedalling platform" we simply called it stiction, and realized it was a fault, not a feature.
i said lowering the air pressure on the coil, not the air shock. their owner's manual says not to go below 65psi. i was running near 75psi to be on the safe side, but always thought it was a bit stiff.
if you dont like the shock, then so be it. ive loved riding it for the past two years, except for the noise like i mentioned. this is turning into the first few pages again on how people think its a bad design...we get it, you dont like it.
you dont see me going into the Sunday thread and getting on their crappy bikes do you.....

Last edited:

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
you dont see me going into the Sunday thread and getting on their crappy bikes do you.....
Demo page, the demo page! 80% of these tools will be on the Sam Hill's new cock bandwagon by September, just wait.

I thought your bike felt like a turd but I didn't ride it down a hill to get a real opinion. How funny, a real opinion is what I don't have like most people on here.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Demo page, the demo page! 80% of these tools will be on the Sam Hill's new cock bandwagon by September, just wait.

I thought your bike felt like a turd but I didn't ride it down a hill to get a real opinion. How funny, a real opinion is what I don't have like most people on here.
sorry, ill troll there..

your opinion means more to me than theirs :biggrin:

fortenndu is the only person i have ever let on my bike, he liked it. the ol' parking lot test isnt the best way to get a feel for the curnutt

Last edited:

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
very true.

your opinion means more to me than theirs :biggrin:

fortenndu is the only person i have ever let on my bike.
That bike is BAD @$$! Brent makes some good stuff, the shocks have been ?nable by several but thats always being worked on and advanced by him! His dad worked with the custer shocks with brent king (before he branched to king shocks) on off road racing shocks (some of the best in the west!),
Theres alot of experience that goes into his shocks, its just a matter of time before its spot on. Id ride the current curnutt shocks if I had a Foes.

BTW The bike is sick!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
king shocks are total awesomeness

charlie curnutt has been in off-road racing for years, and they just moved his technology into a smaller package

Geo100

Chimp
Jan 17, 2009
Longview WA
BMX Convert had posted a pic of my RS7 in raw. The finished product which weighs in @35.5#. I have about 4hrs of set up so far and it is a rocketship. Took about 1 hr to set up shock and fork, (fork is an experiment) in which I am very happy with so far, Im a Fox guy. I have both Curnutt air and coil for the RS7 and 08Fly and there isnt another shock I would rather have than the Curnutts and I have been riding Foes bikes for 4 yrs now and been sponsored for the past 3. The fox versions are for the person that doesnt want to spend the extra for a Curnutt but still wants to ride Foes.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
The DHX 5 air feels horrible on the FXR.
The DHX 5 air feels horrible on a lot of bikes, fairly common knowledge. No mid-stroke damping support, blows through the travel. I felt like there was very little travel left for the next bump when pushing it through fast rough stuff. Not a very consistant feeling shock. Despite some slight spiking at high shaft speeds, the DHX 5.0 coil is vastly superior and a great all-around shock. After spending the money on a Curnutt shock, I'm still not sure exactly what it was supposed to be "good" at, except feeling harsh. The DHX 5.0 coil shock was a vast improvement for my FXR.

Last edited:

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
The DHX 5 air feels horrible on a lot of bikes, fairly common knowledge. No mid-stroke damping support, blows through the travel. I felt like there was very little travel left for the next bump when pushing it through fast rough stuff. Not a very consistant feeling shock. Despite some slight spiking at high shaft speeds, the DHX 5.0 coil is vastly superior and a great all-around shock. After spending the money on a Curnutt shock, I'm still not sure exactly what it was supposed to be "good" at, except feeling harsh. The DHX 5.0 coil shock was a vast improvement for my FXR.
Both times I bought a Foes, I sprung for the Curnutt with the ti-spring. Boy was that a mistake. Both times the Curnutt came off within a month.