Quantcast

The NEW Shaggin' Wagon...

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
narlus said:
does he actually get low 20s on the highway, or is that the suggested mpg is?
I'm not sure. According to another poster that is impossible, but I thought that it was somewhere around low 20's. Regardless, it was impressive for the size of car it is.

The Ito

black noise

Turbo Monkey
Dec 31, 2004
Santa Cruz

Hey, you never said anything about high speed. I have one (not he one in the picture) and while slow, is very reliable, can carry bikes, can handle roughish roads, and gets milage around 20-25 on the highway. Plus you can get them fixed almost anywhere.

escapeartist

Turbo Monkey
Mar 21, 2004
W-S. NC
dfinn said:
a vw rabbit .
That was my first car, and a convertible to boot. I could fit three bikes in/on her. One in the back seat and two on the rack. Unfortunetly, the car is so low that with me and my friends big bikes I had to duct tape water bottlles to the rack to raise the bikes up so the wheels wouldnt hit. Its a great car, as long as you enjoy being cold, and wet, and the idea of acceleration and speeds over 80ish mph scare you. Oh yeah, after 25 years or so the padding in the seats tends to rot out, so your just sitting on vynal and wire, its got a roll bar though!

Sep 8, 2004
I'm 6ft, and My 06 Subaru Forester XT fits perfect. Fast like crazy, and can still get 30mpg, good enough for me.

-James.

Sep 8, 2004
I just re-read and noticed the 6'7" bit. The forrester should still fit as its got a lot of headroom, in my opinion.

-James.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
jimbo_the_biker said:
I'm 6ft, and My 06 Subaru Forester XT fits perfect. Fast like crazy, and can still get 30mpg, good enough for me.

-James.
Thats higher than the EPA sticker says and the EPA stickers are being revised cause you never get as high as they claim in real world driving.

My friend has one and gets around 19 mpg combined in mostly highway driving.

http://www.startribune.com/432/story/175758.html

EPA proposes revised mpg estimates
In response to complaints that current figures are more fiction than fact, the agency said it will downgrade its mileage numbers by as much as 30 percent.

Under testing changes proposed Tuesday by the EPA, fuel economy stickers will show most 2008 models getting 10 to 20 percent less mileage in city driving and 5 to 15 percent less in highway use. Gasoline-electric hybrids will be affected even more, with ratings for city driving decreasing an average of 20 to 30 percent.

rigidhack

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
In a Van(couver) down by the river
I'm surprised nobdy has mentioned it, but the Honda Element is a very cool vehicle. I hated it until I sat in one. I'm 6'4" and I can sit comfortably even in the back seats of the thing. There is crazy amounts of head room, and the seats fold down into a bed (!). The only reason I don't have one (yet) is that they only seat 4 and my wife thought it was ugly. (see below)

I drove a V-6 Tacoma with the TRD Off Road package for a while, but it was not the most comfortable thing on long hauls, and the MPG was pretty weak. All the same, it is a decent choice (go with the 4, not the 6).

I currently have a Honda CR-V which has been pretty nice. Reliable, more "normal" looking than the Element and seats 5 (same chassis, engine & drivetrain). Decent MPG (better than the Toyota it replaced). Nothing super special, though.

Angus

Jack Ass Pen Goo Win
Oct 15, 2004
South Bend
rigidhack said:
I'm surprised nobdy has mentioned it, but the Honda Element is a very cool vehicle. I hated it until I sat in one. I'm 6'4" and I can sit comfortably even in the back seats of the thing. There is crazy amounts of head room, and the seats fold down into a bed (!). The only reason I don't have one (yet) is that they only seat 4 and my wife thought it was ugly. (see below)

I drove a V-6 Tacoma with the TRD Off Road package for a while, but it was not the most comfortable thing on long hauls, and the MPG was pretty weak. All the same, it is a decent choice (go with the 4, not the 6).

I currently have a Honda CR-V which has been pretty nice. Reliable, more "normal" looking than the Element and seats 5 (same chassis, engine & drivetrain). Decent MPG (better than the Toyota it replaced). Nothing super special, though.

Here is a good Element thread lots O bike pics too...
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?postid=1516167#poststop

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
The forester is much better than the legacy for tall folks. I can't stand the legacy. Especially the passanger seat. The forester has a much better layout. Still not big enough for me though.

santacruzer87

Monkey
Apr 21, 2005
On my bicycle
dfinn said:
good point. what you should really be looking at is buying a vw rabbit and converting it to run on recycled cooking oil. leg room shouldn't be a problem as long as you take out the front seat and sit in the back.
ha
haha
hahahahahahaha

Buck Fever

Monkey
Jul 12, 2004
Hipsterville USA
syadasti said:
Thats higher than the EPA sticker says and the EPA stickers are being revised cause you never get as high as they claim in real world driving.

My friend has one and gets around 19 mpg combined in mostly highway driving.
My wife has a Forester XS and it absolutely gets 30mpg on the highway. She actually averaged nearly 33mpg on our trip from MD to OR last summer. We've put about 40K miles on it so far, and nothing has gone wrong yet...not that I would expect problems from any car with 40K on it. It definitely handles the snow...we drive up to Mt. Hood about twice a week and have only had to put the chains on twice this winter. It'll do dirt roads and very minor off road driving but nothing major.

I think the Forester is a great car for my wife and it's the one that I use almost every time I haul my bikes (only because my car has needed new rotors in the front for about 8 months and I typically have to drive an hour to get to the trails). I'm not wild about driving it though. I'm 5'11" and while there is plenty of leg and headroom, especially with the seat all the way down, I find that my view out of the upper right portion of the windshield is uncomfortably obstructed by the rear view...and I find the seats to be terribly uncomfortable. No one else I know has a problem with the rear view mirror but for some reason it's a major issue with me. I actually chose my V70 T-5 wagon over a BMW M3 partially because of the same reason. It just felt weird taking right handers and not being able to see what's coming up.

I've had fair experience with my 98 Volvo V70 as well. I averaged 34mpg from Chigaco to Baltimore with an average speed of 68. The T-5 option makes for a pretty quick wagon too.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Buck Fever said:
My wife has a Forester XS and it absolutely gets 30mpg on the highway.
Different model. He said XT - you know the turbo charged engine. Regardless you never get what the sticker stays most of the time, no matter what the brand - thats why the EPA is changing their tests.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
syadasti said:
Different model. He said XT - you know the turbo charged engine. Regardless you never get what the sticker stays most of the time, no matter what the brand - thats why the EPA is changing their tests.

I've always gotten better mileage than sticker. Heavy throttle but shift very early.

Sep 8, 2004
Yeah. I actually did clock 30mpg on a trip around Mt Rainier back in august. I did the loop several times when I first got the car, with total trip MPG averages of 27-30mpg.

Not sure what it'll get now, I just replaced the rims/tires. I'll have to upload a pic once the rain stop and I get it all sparkly.

-James.

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
there's been alot of talk on a couple other outdoor related forums and people really seem to love their elements. plenty of room to fit stuff in, the seats fold into cots, awd, honda reliability...it's just a little weird looking but I think I could learn to like it.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
dfinn said:
there's been alot of talk on a couple other outdoor related forums and people really seem to love their elements. plenty of room to fit stuff in, the seats fold into cots, awd, honda reliability...it's just a little weird looking but I think I could learn to like it.
Don't they paint them monotone now so they don't look quite as ugly now?

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
jimbo_the_biker said:
Yeah. I actually did clock 30mpg on a trip around Mt Rainier back in august. I did the loop several times when I first got the car, with total trip MPG averages of 27-30mpg.

Not sure what it'll get now, I just replaced the rims/tires. I'll have to upload a pic once the rain stop and I get it all sparkly.

-James.
RTFA

I believe that you got around 27-30mpg during some trips, but long distance highway trips are best case scenarios. The real world driver does worse than EPA estimates hence the new test for 2008.

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
syadasti said:
Don't they paint them monotone now so they don't look quite as ugly now?
I have no idea. I'm in the process of shopping for a new vehicle myself but I won't be spending any where near what it would cost for one of those. Not having a car payment has been great and I don't plan on going back to that any time soon.