Quantcast

The next breakthrough product

aham73

Chimp
Jan 28, 2011
Philadelphia/ San Francisco
hey guys,

i'm new to ridemonkey, but i've been a big rider for about ten years now. mostly riding trail, trials, and now starting into downhill.

anyway, i'm a product design student looking for senior thesis ideas. check the link in my signature for examples of my past work. this semester i get to spend 14 weeks on a project of my choice, highlighting my skills and the industry i am most interested in working for: bike and adventure gear.

i have a few big ideas right now, but before i pose them for feedback, i'd like to ask all of you one big question:

what bike and adventure products give you the biggest headache? how could they be better designed?

your feedback means a ton. thanks everyone!

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
A device that changes the bikes damping when pedalling. A sensor that recognises that there's chain tension on it, and turns a servo on the damper, be it, mechanical or electrical.
I picture the sensor under the chain above the chain stay. It could be set up so the chain is lifted off the sensor when the bike is past a certain percent of travel(say 40%), so that the suspension remained active in the rough pedaling or not.
There's many things that could be done with it.
You could also use the same principal for fork anti dive when braking, or for squat/anti squat on the rear when braking.
Could even activate the seat post, but that could be strange/dangerous.
Or you could do gearing sensors, climbing gears stiffen suspension.
Or just have eye activated sensors in your goggles. Look top left to stiffen, right to soften.

Left and right button shifters would be way cool too. 1 for up, the other side for down.

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
gravity dropper style seatpost that can be incorporated into the existing seattube of a bike.

Not really a DH product though

DHPeteinSC

Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
In the KY (jelly) E-town
Or just have eye activated sensors in your goggles. Look top left to stiffen, right to soften.
:thumb:

This got me thinking :think: Goggles with built in display for laptimes (i.e. Moto-timer) would be sick!! And since the technology exists ( 10 mp camera in a cell phone) have built in video recording, with cam mounted in the goggle frame( F' you USAC and UCI:D) set to work manually or activated by lap timer. Damn...I may have to get started on this idea myself:thumb:

ncrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2004
Los Angeles

This got me thinking :think: Goggles with built in display for laptimes (i.e. Moto-timer) would be sick!! And since the technology exists ( 10 mp camera in a cell phone) have built in video recording, with cam mounted in the goggle frame( F' you USAC and UCI:D) set to work manually or activated by lap timer. Damn...I may have to get started on this idea myself:thumb:
That would be dope.

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!

Theres a company who makes sunglasses that gives you all your vital information while running or riding in the lens itself. They were at interbike I believe.
(not the exactly link or company I was looking for)
http://news.softpedia.com/news/New-Smart-Sunglasses-Tell-You-Sport-Performances-and-Heart-Rate-68826.shtml

Also theres a company that molded a camera in the goggles already. Pretty cool but I think it was a no name goggle company, Ill try and look it up.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/02/liquid-image-outs-summit-series-snow-camera-goggles-ahead-of-ces/

good ideas keep them rollin!

Last edited:

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
Not really a "product" per say, but it would be cool if helmet/chest cams had live feeds (complete with telemetry which displays speed, time, etc...) so that fans could get a "front seat" experience with the likes of Hill, Peat, Minnaar, Gee et al.

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
Not really a "product" per say, but it would be cool if helmet/chest cams had live feeds (complete with telemetry which displays speed, time, etc...) so that fans could get a "front seat" experience with the likes of Hill, Peat, Minnaar, Gee et al.
This is getting pretty close to that, check out the map on the right which follows his tracks and records speed and altitude. Add to that the new bluetooth app which allows for a remote video screen via an iPhone or Droid phone. I'm about to get one of these..

http://contour.com/gallery/123108

Last edited:

LMC

Monkey
Dec 10, 2006
Do you have to actually have a working model in 14 weeks or just a finished design?

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
That would be dope.
You have been beaten for awhile.

http://www.reconinstruments.com/

Got a chance to check these out at the SIA Snow Show this weekend and will be demoing them this week at Winter Park. They are sick!!! Very low profile as well for all of the technology in them.

This is getting pretty close to that, check out the map on the right which follows his tracks and records speed and altitude. Add to that the new bluetooth app which allows for a remote video screen via an iPhone or Droid phone. I'm about to get one of these..

http://contour.com/gallery/123108

I'll have my Contour GPS in hand at the end of the week for a review. Right now the Iphone viewfinder via bluetooth it is only compatible with the Iphone but an Android update will be out soon.
I'll make sure to throw the review up here as well. It will also be a side by side comparison to the Go Pro Hero HD with the LCD screen.

Last edited:

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Not really breakthrough, but nobody makes a good computer that includes a lap timer. I just bought a Knog NERD for my road bike. It's durable enough for DH. Tweak the wheel sensor to work with a bigger fork and add a wireless push button on the bar for lap times. Done.
The product itself is already there, it just needs some program tweaks.

sgarstin

Chimp
Feb 26, 2010
this isnt new, but some kind of data acquisition might be usefull for geometry setup, suspension setup, weight, flexing, power transfer, g forces, pedal forces, drag, etc

A tear off system that tears a whole tear off, not just a strip, that is somehow activated by your own voice... or something where you dont have to take your hand off the bar.

A clipless pedal system with some kind of magnetism that gets your foot in the right place on the pedal faster.

better suspension.

I am just throwing ideas out there whether they suck or not.

Pslide

Turbo Monkey
Its hard but arent all the road/xc ones too? Ive slammed down on it and my butt was ok. Maybe it wasnt the most comfy feeling but that is not what it was designed for.
I'm with insanitylevel9. The Tioga looks like a weapon dangerously close to your manly bits.

I'm talking about a saddle designed to be first and foremost a control point between your legs, not something to sit on, and to also minimize snagging on shorts/pants and not destroy your junk in a crash. And yet be light and tough.

Some good ideas in this thread though!

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
Some kind of run flat tires, beadlock for tubeless! Something so when you flat, you wont "possibly" throw away an entire series, you can somewhat salvage a run.

Disc guards for bikes? like the ones on the 450 mx bikes, one for a derailur?

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
Nice find! Those seem amazing. Not the best looking, but great tech. No way would I pay $428. Maybe half that, maybe.
Yeah, the price is ridiculous. They look much better in person as well.

The one pair that they had out in the open for people to wear and check out at the SIA show were stolen yesterday.

nmpearson

Monkey
Dec 30, 2006
someone needs to produce a small GPS sensor/tracker(i'm not sure what it's called), that you can put on your bike and track your bike if it's stolen on a comp. I really don't think it'd be that tough to do, just no ones done it. I mean, i lost my Droid, and used an app to track it within a few hundred feet, so it has to be 100% possible

woodsguy

gets infinity MPG
Mar 18, 2007
Sutton, MA
Electro-magnetic flat pedals. They will not only hold your feet but also guide them to the center of the pedal. The wattage can be adjusted for the desired amount of hold. The pedal can have a top plate that rotates to break the magnetic bond. The magnets can also be adjusted to change the amount of float. Oh and the shoes can have a chip so the pedals shut off when not near the shoe.

Edit: Just read through the posts and it looks like mag pedals have already been mentioned. Oh well. My idea is a bit more involved tho.

Last edited:

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
I'm with insanitylevel9. The Tioga looks like a weapon dangerously close to your manly bits.

I'm talking about a saddle designed to be first and foremost a control point between your legs, not something to sit on, and to also minimize snagging on shorts/pants and not destroy your junk in a crash. And yet be light and tough.

Some good ideas in this thread though!
Why would it be more dangerous than a normal saddle? Unless your manly bits are 5mm in diameter they should be safe ;) I crash a lot, used to catch my seat from time to time. I know Im hardly a test group but this saddle should be more popular. Its safe to crash with, drop on it and very tough. Its really the best saddle for any bike you dont want spend long time sitting on (its not very comfy but doable, did 30-60min rides on it). I really hope my junk is not somehow abnormal by not being crushed by it ;)

As for magnetic flat pedals - Im against. Sometimes I want my foot to stay on the pedal but not be clipped in. It would be hard to if that idea went into place

Last edited:
I believe there's a lot to be done regarding:
- Suspension: true "sensing" susp. that adapts to the current workload and is independent of braking. A mechanical or electronic device that takes the accelerations and inertias imparted on the fork and changes fork settings accordingly.
- Transmission: make a compact, robust, light and sealed transmission, with enough speeds to use a single chainring. That could be a gearbox + belt, for example. But instead, one day sram or shimano will release a 32speed cassette with a chain like a teeth floss claiming it's some kind of revolution, the ultimate transmission (and therefore anything else obsolete and unworthy of any real bike).

-Variable geo: I believe there is a big market for the people who own a single bike and want it "to do it all". This could help get the lycra and baggie pants world closer. :D

The millyard bike is an example of where things should point to IMHO. LINK

Someone mentioned a way of knowing if your foot is correctly placed on the pedal... My pc keyboard has a small notch in two keys to help positioning; isn't there already a pedal with one of those "bumps" on it?

Last edited:

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
That Tioga saddle looks amazing. In a crash, the only downfall I can imagine is your hoop might end up looking like the aftermath of a cleveland steamer on spiderman. Otherwise, bang on.

Half the stuff in this thread is hilarious.

Wanna do something cool? Do a frame with a center mounted, contained road deraileur, similar to what BCD did years ago. No gearbox rubbish, just a simple, light and easy to maintain system thats uses all the benefits of a Der without the problems. Now that'd be neat.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Wanna do something cool? Do a frame with a center mounted, contained road deraileur, similar to what BCD did years ago. No gearbox rubbish, just a simple, light and easy to maintain system thats uses all the benefits of a Der without the problems. Now that'd be neat.
:stupid:

To me the only serious problem with a derailleur is how exposed it is. Put it in midframe and it would be awesome.

Pslide

Turbo Monkey
We've got these tiny magnets on our fridge, probably 4 mm cubes, and those suckers are strong. Size them up a bit and I don't see why you'd need electro magnets. Weight wouldn't even be an issue. And it's not like you couldn't pull your foot off, I think the idea is just to get better foot placement and maybe a slightly more connected feeling. Would be a fun little project.

I stuck some turf cleats on my 5.10s that I thought would be a tactile guide for better foot placement. They fit into the space of the pedals. My parking lot test in the snow indicated my idea needs quite a bit more refinement if it has any merit at all... :rolleyes:

Pslide

Turbo Monkey
That Tioga saddle looks amazing. In a crash, the only downfall I can imagine is your hoop might end up looking like the aftermath of a cleveland steamer on spiderman. Otherwise, bang on.

Half the stuff in this thread is hilarious.

So the new ideas are hilarious, and your great idea is the one that's already been done. :think:

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
So the new ideas are hilarious, and your great idea is the one that's already been done. :think:
BCD and Honda did build variants on the idea but as far as I know no such thing has ever been brought to market.

woodsguy

gets infinity MPG
Mar 18, 2007
Sutton, MA
We've got these tiny magnets on our fridge, probably 4 mm cubes, and those suckers are strong. Size them up a bit and I don't see why you'd need electro magnets. Weight wouldn't even be an issue. And it's not like you couldn't pull your foot off, I think the idea is just to get better foot placement and maybe a slightly more connected feeling. Would be a fun little project.

The reason I went with electromagnets was to be able to adjust the amount of hold. You could go all the way from a slight tug to roadie like pulling ability.

Last edited:

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
No, like an integrated assembly built into the frame. Would be lighter and possibly stiffer.
Bbbbuuutttt if it breaks you're screwed, and I don't always want a dropper. Also if I'm pedaling and the loop is all up then all down I am down to save the weight high up on the bike, you also still have to make the over all height adjustable so either way the thing has to move up and down (you actually cut the integrated road bike, yup definitely taken a hack saw to some 15-20K road bikes) and you only get minimal adjustment when cut