Quantcast

The Obsession

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
not hard to bend, you ever use a pipe bender?

awesome design. post up picks are your welding it together.

Vrock

Linkage Design Blog
Aug 13, 2005
Spain
It's very similar to a PDC Racing but it's a great design, I like it and I Like It's made of steel too.

Good luck with the proyect.

c.o.d51

Monkey
Oct 5, 2005
Here's some pics of some of the materials and his work. I was over at his place last week and how he didn't get a headache from sitting an inch or two away from that lathe for 9 hours is beyond me...
OBSESSION BIKES said:
The program is SolidWorks student edition.

I have the first set of build pictures and there is much more to come. Last week a spent about 40 hours at the lathe machining parts for the bike as well as doing some welding.

Raw Materials

Main tubes .049 wall thickness (first one is going to be overbuilt)

machining tools

machining tolerance check

Raw stock left- finished product right

upper mounting eyelet mock up

TIG Welding in the bat cave

[img]http://www.freeridesouth.com/pics/pictures/10527.jpg
Side one of eyelet welded

More to come soon.......

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
This thread should be a mandatory read for all the bike industry goons-shows ideas at work and a love for making cool stuff. Good luck-sweet looking project.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Tig welding barehanded? You're a brave man. If you find that tig gloves don't give you the tactile feedback that you need, some guys cut off the index finger and thumb.
Your project looks awesome so far.
Can I make a couple of suggestions? Make that top gusset tube straight. You will have to use a really heavy wall tube in order to bend it. You can save a lot of weight with a straight one or 2 plates.
Also, look at using a higher end butted tube for the TT. You can save about 1/4# easy. True temper makes some nice BMX tubes that look like they would work. They are easier to work with too since they don't have all the mill scale. Cheap too!

If you get stuck, check out the frame forum
It's like ridemonkey but only for people who build bikes.

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
cant belive no one has said this yet, bottom link looks flexy...:p

nice work!!! cant wait till i learn solidworks next year, so far its just inventor 10.

beaverbiker

Monkey
Feb 5, 2003
Santa Clara
FEA pic

Thanks for the positive feedback, my buddy is so stoked on this project.
sorry to burst your bubble, but you might want to read some books and take some classes before you bother believing any FEA data you have. if you make one tiny mistake your numbers mean nothing. looking at the loading/boundary conditions on that link it looks like you're missing some things. also, it would be best to correlate your data to real world testing. otherwise all you have is a bunch of random numbers and colors and a big waste of time.

the bike looks sick, i wouldn't even bother with FE models

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
sorry to burst your bubble, but you might want to read some books and take some classes before you bother believing any FEA data you have. if you make one tiny mistake your numbers mean nothing. looking at the loading/boundary conditions on that link it looks like you're missing some things. also, it would be best to correlate your data to real world testing. otherwise all you have is a bunch of random numbers and colors and a big waste of time.
Curtis is totally 100% right on this. Inaccurately constrained FEA can be worse than no FEA at all.

c.o.d51

Monkey
Oct 5, 2005
Is that the derailleur hanger from a Sunday that I see?
Why yes it is. He just liked it so much:biggrin: He needed a hanger quickly, so he popped it off his Sunday.

As for the FEA, this is what he said:
Forgive my long response, but I will attempt to answer all the questions and comments, that have been posed since my last post, to the best of my knowledge.

I couldn’t agree with you more about the FEA. There is absolutely no substitute for real world testing. I have a watered down version of the COSMOS FEA program and consequently that is the reason why I have only bothered to analyze one link out of the entire bike. I have a strong physics background and have read up extensively on FEA analysis, but that is not to say I know how to precisely analyze a part using it.

I realize that the numbers that FEA generates are totally worthless if calculations or restraints/ loads are off by even a fraction. I also realize that I did not include all restraints/ loads in the picture I posted. I know the actual numbers that the program generates are probably not accurate, but the program does show high stress areas and I use that information to try and make educated decisions on link design and geometry.

As for the concerns about the “links being flexy” and the eyelet under the “seat tube being a weak point”, they are the least of my concerns. Consider that the links are 25mm thick at the widest point and are made out of 7075 aluminum which has a shear strength of about 48,000 psi. I feel confident that the links will hold up fine and if they don't, than I will redesign them based on the previous failure.

The eyelet is .120 wall 4130 seamless which is ridiculously thick for a bike and also takes advantage of the great compression strength that tubes offer. The eyelet itself has many advantages over the bent top tube. I will go into that further if anyone is interested.

The seat tube gusset is also being revised. After much consideration I decided a bent tube is not the ideal profile to have there and not the most cost/ fabrication efficient. I will post updates of design when I post next set of build pictures sometime next week.

That is a Sunday hanger. Because of my extremely limited budget for this bike I decided to use a preexisting derailleur on the first one in order to cut the cost of having a custom one machined. I chose the Sunday hanger because it is so well designed and allows me greater flexibility in dropout design. If and when I build a second revision to this frame I will design my own hanger and have it machined.

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
As for the concerns about the “links being flexy” and the eyelet under the “seat tube being a weak point”, they are the least of my concerns.
hehehehe, its a joke about the links.... you need to paint them rootbeer color. :p

nice work on the bike!!! keep us updated!

snowskilz

xblue attacked piggy won
May 15, 2004
rado
i designed almost that same exact bike just over a year ago. My inspiration came from the old cortina/avalanche bike and the sunday. My problem was that i couldnt get the leverage ratio where i wanted but your buddy got it spot on. i wanted the BB a hair lower then your buddy has it.

Tell your buddy sweet job!

c.o.d51

Monkey
Oct 5, 2005
A.R.K. said:
Ok so here it is. The latest build pictures. I still have lots to do, and I will continue to post pictures and progress until I have a fully built up and tested bike. I still have to weld the upper and lower pivot on the front triangle, but this is what I have so far.

I revised the seat tube gusset because having a thin wall tube bent was not practice and cutting fish mounts in the bent tube also posed problems. I decided upon a saddle gusset because it was lighter, cheaper, and easier to make.

"Thank you Solidworks. I was able to use the sheet metal feature in Solidworks in order to find the unbent profile of the saddle gusset. (it would be very hard to do by eye)

Raw material for saddle gusset.

(No fancy laser cutters for me)

After bending

just how its suppose to fit

headtube before lathe chuck snaped

Headtube after the lathe chuck snapped. (what are you going to do..its a 30 year old lathe that I got for free)

jig

tube mitering

fit up

in jig

just a little size comparison for those who question strength of the frame
More pics to come soon...

c.o.d51

Monkey
Oct 5, 2005
Front triangle is pretty much done with the exception of the shock mount, so here we go:

The creator:

big-ted

Danced with A, attacked by C, fired by D.
Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Headtube looks like it could safely be a bit shorter to lower the bars, but other than that, I'm just going to repeat my previous sentiments...

:drool: :drool:

johnnyru

Monkey
Feb 20, 2004
Slingerlands, NY
Sweet! That head tube junction is unique...it reminds me of this...

That'd be a trick paint scheme. Nice work, must be nice to be able to do something like that, huh?

c.o.d51

Monkey
Oct 5, 2005
Headtube looks like it could safely be a bit shorter to lower the bars, but other than that, I'm just going to repeat my previous sentiments...

:drool: :drool:
It probably could be shorter, but for a first one, he's really happy with how it came out.

This first one is just overbuilt.

giantrider89

Monkey
Oct 16, 2006
P-town, MN
The welds actually look pretty good...usually the garage framebuilders turn out some pretty ugly welds....not that I could do better or anything.....looks nice! :thumb:

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
:drool::drool::drool::drool:

great stuff!!! someones gonna ask it sooner or later and i know its overbuilt but how much does the front triangle weigh?:imstupid:

c.o.d51

Monkey
Oct 5, 2005
:drool::drool::drool::drool:

great stuff!!! someones gonna ask it sooner or later and i know its overbuilt but how much does the front triangle weigh?:imstupid:
It's a bit of a heavyweight right now, I think it's around 6-7lbs. Complete frame, for this first one is going to end up being a little under 13lbs. The next ones are going to shave a few pounds quite easily. I can't wait for his links and the chainstay yoke to come from the machinist. Then he'll be able to get the rear triangle built. This thing is going to be super low too. I can't wait :biggrin:

RMboy

Monkey
Dec 1, 2006
England the Great...
looking so sweet wish i had the resources to do that...

i dont know if u said it further back i did not see, but how low is the BB going to be, and how long is the wheel base???

is it going to be lower than the sunday? oh u going to bother with iscg mounts lol...?

Bearmntpicnic

Monkey
Oct 23, 2005
charlottesville
thats an awesome garage build. I dont know what your financial situation or if you would be intrested, but I think you could start a grass roots company with a bike like that.

c.o.d51

Monkey
Oct 5, 2005
looking so sweet wish i had the resources to do that...

i dont know if u said it further back i did not see, but how low is the BB going to be, and how long is the wheel base???

is it going to be lower than the sunday? oh u going to bother with iscg mounts lol...?
It's bb height is 14", but I don't remember the wheelbase he went with off hand. It's earlier in the thread. I actually have no clue what he's doing with ISCG mounts. They're in his design, so I'm going to assume that he's using them. Standover height though, this is THE lowest 8"+ travel bike that I've ever seen. It's standover height is lower than my Race Link, and it's a good deal lower than the Sunday. It's going to be long, low, and fast.

As for starting a company, what's holding him back right now is the cost of having parts machined. If he had his own mill, you could probably expect to see a larger production run. He has put in around 65 hours of manual machining so far, and it's just too much for him to do. He is also paying other people to have the links and bb yoke machine, and it's fairly expensive. If a mill ends up coming though...

Budget started at around 3000. He put about 2000 into his new welder, and the rest has/is going into the materials and costs of machining/powder coating.

TrumbullHucker

trumbullruxer
Aug 29, 2005
shimzbury, ct
alan "aka jefferson"- its jordan from trumbull whats GOOD!

all i can say right now is :shocked:
what you are doing is prob one of my dreams
i am going to SUNY DELHI to get a AOS Degree in Welding Technology.
its a 2 year coarse, and man, if u are getting big with buisness, im hear for ya buddy. welding which is my passion and bikes which is my passion..what could be better :)

anyways your bike looks amazing, sleek and clean and low.

what about chain growth length?? looks like itll grrroowwww

cant wait to ride with you and rob again, i am now riding an 06 7point5 ( ditched the shatty S.G.S and finally riding something respectable (hehe) )

love to hear from u guys

laaaaater