Quantcast

the prototype Ohlins fork (moar pics)

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
god those Maverick bikes were fugly. It had been a long time, but I saw one again IRL a few weeks back and was like whoa, bro.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
god those Maverick bikes were fugly. It had been a long time, but I saw one again IRL a few weeks back and was like whoa, bro.
i remember way back when they first came out the magazine i was reading (bike or MBA?) talked about it like it was the second coming of christ

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
You are talking about an industry that pushed two complete new wheel sizes through although there are only minor (if at all) performance upgrades. If Öhlins hypes the fork enough they will sell like sliced bread.

BTW: the real benefit of an USD is that you can use the same chassis to accommodate all three (current) wheel sizes and possibly also most of the PLUS sizes. So smart move for a smaller manufacturer to go that route.
I'm not claiming it's a bad idea or that USD forks are bad. I'm saying it's idiotic to think ohlins has made a fork that is so good teams will forgo sponsor money

tomasis7

stroganoff
Nov 5, 2014
Electronic bong-shed LEGAL
I'm not claiming it's a bad idea or that USD forks are bad. I'm saying it's idiotic to think ohlins has made a fork that is so good teams will forgo sponsor money
Ohlins never sponsored any team and it tells a lot.if any team doesn't afford it, its fine. MTB industry is so small and I have no idea why ohlins is going in it.

Bos, its different story cuz the guy has worked with sunn team and Voillouz, and the guy is MTB enthusiast.

Plus, Ohlins is not SRAM. Give away Taiwanese made stuffs which are leaky as well.Pay mechanics to serve them every hour.

Last edited:

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Ohlins never sponsored any team and it tells a lot.if any team doesn't afford it, its fine. MTB industry is so small and I have no idea why ohlins is going in it.

Bos, its different story cuz the guy has worked with sunn team and Voillouz, and the guy is MTB enthusiast.

Plus, Ohlins is not SRAM. Give away Taiwanese made stuffs which are leaky as well.Pay mechanics to serve them every hour.
Jesus I need to block you finally since I still don't know how that is connected to a topic? In the mtb industry there is very little money so top teams need every sponsor possible. Are you suggesting nukeproof or someone not named specialized who seems to have a special connection to ohlins will switch to them?

The rest of your post also doesn't answer my point being that ohlins won't make a product that is miles better than any other thing available on the market. The age of big technology changes in dh is finishe. I like ohlins but I'm not a delusional fanboy.

tomasis7

stroganoff
Nov 5, 2014
Jesus I need to block you finally since I still don't know how that is connected to a topic? In the mtb industry there is very little money so top teams need every sponsor possible. Are you suggesting nukeproof or someone not named specialized who seems to have a special connection to ohlins will switch to them?

The rest of your post also doesn't answer my point being that ohlins won't make a product that is miles better than any other thing available on the market. The age of big technology changes in dh is finishe. I like ohlins but I'm not a delusional fanboy.
You seem to suggest that Ohlins must sell products and sponsor teams. But in past Ohlins didnt need to do that when motorsport is involved. Then i mentioned that I have no idea why Ohlins goes in MTB industry ,it seemed that its a fun project for the guys.

You're funny and like to exaggerate a lot of things. In Motorsport every tenth of second matters. Keep squeezing of product development here and there.But Dh racing is such small sport that is barely noticed, I know. That's why I been sarcastic.

Block me,its fine. So I don't need deal with your arrogance.

Last edited:

vikingboy

Monkey
Dec 15, 2009
I only guessing but could be Ohlins are entering MTB because it's relatively easy to repurpose their existing product line and it's possibly a feeder sport to MX where there's more money to be had from customers.

Regardless I'm glad to see them in the sport, anyone who advances the tech is welcome in my eyes.

jezso

Chimp
Dec 31, 2010
Dubai, UAE
I only guessing but could be Ohlins are entering MTB because it's relatively easy to repurpose their existing product line and it's possibly a feeder sport to MX where there's more money to be had from customers.

Regardless I'm glad to see them in the sport, anyone who advances the tech is welcome in my eyes.
Actually this is good reasoning. As they already have the core knowledge competency to build suspension equipment for two and four wheel application, all backed up with existing production/assembly lines, it is easy to see that there is value to extend their markets, even if it is not as huge like moto. By putting their name in they can also increase the MTB market as their name will attract folks from other sports or from the "outside world" :)

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
In 2015, the lightest and stiffest chassis is just as important as the damping. Perhaps more so, as damping from all the suspension companies is quite good nowadays, a given really. As an end-user, I'm also interested in reliability and some sort of value.

I'm sure Ohlins can get the cartridge right, but that's the easy part... ?

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
You seem to suggest that Ohlins must sell products and sponsor teams. But in past Ohlins didnt need to do that when motorsport is involved. Then i mentioned that I have no idea why Ohlins goes in MTB industry ,it seemed that its a fun project for the guys.

You're funny and like to exaggerate a lot of things. In Motorsport every tenth of second matters. Keep squeezing of product development here and there.But Dh racing is such small sport that is barely noticed, I know. That's why I been sarcastic.

Block me,its fine. So I don't need deal with your arrogance.
Jesus you are thick. I'm not saying Ohlins must sell stuff or sponsor teams. I'm saying teams NEED money so they need suspension sponsors that GIVE them money. That is why everyone rides sram and not DVO, BOS, Avalanche or any other high end small company. It's the basic concept business. In moto you have much bigger sponsors so you can afford to be picky. In dh budgets are tight. I'm not arrogant. Just tired with your thick skull. Read what I write. Maybe read some english book that will teach you reading comprehension before you start quoting philosophers to make you sound smart.

tomasis7

stroganoff
Nov 5, 2014
Jesus you are thick. I'm not saying Ohlins must sell stuff or sponsor teams. I'm saying teams NEED money so they need suspension sponsors that GIVE them money. That is why everyone rides sram and not DVO, BOS, Avalanche or any other high end small company. It's the basic concept business. In moto you have much bigger sponsors so you can afford to be picky. In dh budgets are tight. I'm not arrogant. Just tired with your thick skull. Read what I write. Maybe read some english book that will teach you reading comprehension before you start quoting philosophers to make you sound smart.
Oh my god, I already stated that I know that dh sport is small. Ohlins is just another player who got in mtb. They have different philosophy of marketing. I see plenty of bos forks in dh racing which counteracts your argument.

I'm not interested to hear how teams should be run hence your discrete boasting of your strategy competence. You must always claim your ego here and there. Your damn Bavarian aunt, your girlfriend and your job etc.

Reading philosophy is part of my job. The signature proves that some people despite their excellent grammar skills fail to see the world,reality in their essence. Intelligence is not a prequisite to understand things, contrary to wisdom.

We express our opinions and there is no need to mock someone because you don't like someone's opinion.

Get out of your fucking Sovieticus cave!