Quantcast

The state of the garage door Wednesday

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
The foster dog was up every two hours last night with the shits, so I am feeling :dead: :dead: this morning. Poor puppy....it's not her fault. I've got to bring one of her "samples" for testing today. She's got to have some sort of bug. It's not uncommon for these transport dogs to have giardia.

Anyway, I still dragged myself to the pool this morning for 2400 yards despite really having no motivation whatsoever to get it done.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
It is dumping here already.

Going to be a messy ride later.
had intended to dodge the forthcoming deluge and rode last night. still got rained on by a few intense showers. still, was a nice ride.

brother is getting some tumors removed from his bladder today (in fact, at this very moment). kinda nervous.

at work. in a cube. a little hung over. could be worse I suppose...

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
IMG_5150.jpeg

Very happy with how these turned out. They are also insulated which should keep heat in during the winter, as our bedroom is above the garage. I think it matches reasonably well the overall look of the house (sort of a modernized colonial, I guess).

Beats the hell out of the old peeling, broken wood doors we had.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Morning. Working on cleaning the garage for graduation party setup (in case of rain and I think it's where I will put the food so it's out of the sun too). Supposed to rain a ton and have severe storms today so I want to get what I can done outside while it's just super humid and not storming. Cat brought in a chipmunk again...I am getting really good at grabbing them and throwing them out the door without getting bit so that's a plus.

Anyone have a recommendation for a decent (not crazy overpriced) laptop for a college freshman studying psychology, Spanish (maybe some BioChem for neuroscience ). We are debating PC vs. MacBook so all recommendations are welcome.

@Sandwich new doors look great!

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
Man, I don't know what the fuck is going on with these emojis. I'm sending this kissing emoji to my wife. Is that two men? Two women? Straight? I don't fucking know. Just send it. And why are they yellow like the Simpsons?

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
Rough draft of musical project submitted to collaborator. There's a stupid obvious mistake I made 9 minutes into a 10 minute track and editing it might be painful enough that I'd rather just record it all over again. It's a very minimal piece and "doing too much" gets real obvious real fast.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
@TreeSaw M3 MacBook Air is the way. At least 16 GB RAM and 512 GB of SSD. Remember to click through to the Apple Store for Education. Small discount

/me is working 4-10 pm. Dropped kid off via cargo bike. I think I’ll bust out the ramps and do some sweet jumps in front of my house in a bit

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Morning. Working on cleaning the garage for graduation party setup (in case of rain and I think it's where I will put the food so it's out of the sun too). Supposed to rain a ton and have severe storms today so I want to get what I can done outside while it's just super humid and not storming. Cat brought in a chipmunk again...I am getting really good at grabbing them and throwing them out the door without getting bit so that's a plus.

Anyone have a recommendation for a decent (not crazy overpriced) laptop for a college freshman studying psychology, Spanish (maybe some BioChem for neuroscience ). We are debating PC vs. MacBook so all recommendations are welcome.

@Sandwich new doors look great!
I'm not going to weigh in too much on the conversation, but I feel compelled to mention how much I hate my current macbook air. It's fast enough, but the whole OS is designed for people who type with two fingers and have 9000 icons on their desktop. It's a good personal computer, but an absolutely dreadful productivity device. All of the things that make an iPhone great make a laptop terrible, and they're kind of the same on both.

I cannot wait to get back on a windows machine in a couple months. I can delete all of the special programs I need just to make this computer run the way I'm used to.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Morning Monkeys.

Played a quick 9 holes before the office, left my wedge on the 8th green. Greens keeper gave me a lift to grab it and it was gone. Homeboy setting pins had picked it up, so I grabbed it from him. Only put one ball in the pond, I call that a win.

The Ranorex gig is a contract until March. It's expected to extend or possibly convert, but there is no guarantee. It's $70/hr, but no PTO. They do have 14 paid holidays. It is 100% remote, laptop provided.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
I'm not going to weigh in too much on the conversation, but I feel compelled to mention how much I hate my current macbook air. It's fast enough, but the whole OS is designed for people who type with two fingers and have 9000 icons on their desktop. It's a good personal computer, but an absolutely dreadful productivity device. All of the things that make an iPhone great make a laptop terrible, and they're kind of the same on both.

I cannot wait to get back on a windows machine in a couple months. I can delete all of the special programs I need just to make this computer run the way I'm used to.
Yes....this is why I don't like the MacBooks. I am a Windows machine kind of gal too!

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
sounds like she'd just be doing some general word processing / office suite and web app stuff no? IMO as nice as apple products are, they are generally higher priced than comparable win machines these days, and for what it'd be used for i'm not certain there's any real benefit of mac over win.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
So I ended up also getting my host sick and I am now back in NYC still coughing. Had a really hard time falling asleep and then ended up sleeping to 11am when I finally did and now it feels like I have a hang over. Stupid summer cold please go away.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
@TreeSaw M3 MacBook Air is the way. At least 16 GB RAM and 512 GB of SSD. Remember to click through to the Apple Store for Education. Small discount

/me is working 4-10 pm. Dropped kid off via cargo bike. I think I’ll bust out the ramps and do some sweet jumps in front of my house in a bit
She wants a MacBook (M2 or M3 and yes to the RAM/SSD) I was checking out the education store too...$1400 yikes! I'm going to need a third job to pay for her college supplies!

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
sounds like she'd just be doing some general word processing / office suite and web app stuff no? IMO as nice as apple products are, they are generally higher priced than comparable win machines these days, and for what it'd be used for i'm not certain there's any real benefit of mac over win.
This was my argument as well. I'm not sure but I'm feeling like it's another status crap thing (Stanley cup mentality of a teenager).

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Yes....this is why I don't like the MacBooks. I am a Windows machine kind of gal too!
Honestly I do love the immediate and incredible syncing of imessage and my photos. Yes windows has icloud but it's so handicapped compared to the real thing. It's incredible taking a photo with my phone then sending an email to a contractor with a typed message and that photo attached. Your daughter may love the thing because apple, but if I were looking for universal compatibility and something that would set them up for success in a professional environment, I think windows should do it. Seriously I can't even set my touchpad to scroll one way and my mouse to scroll similar to windows without a special program running. Simple answer is that apple doesn't want you to use a mouse, they want you on their touchpad.

Since I lied and am blathering on about it, here's a suggestion for a laptop:

I am suggesting this one for my next employer. Super powerful, 90hz refresh rate screen is easier to look at, 2.5k is higher res than HD, discrete graphics will do any games or video processing, powerful processor with a HD front camera. Touch screen so you can pinch+zoom on google maps, and glorious INPUTS so you can stick an HDMI cable in and present in front of class. Screen is in between a 13.5" and 15.6" which could be good or bad, I dunno.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
entry price for any model macbook is a grand. you can get a comparably spec'd windows laptop for almost half that.

here's a thought - set a budget (say, $700 just as an example) and tell her she can pick what she wants, but anything above the budget she would have to make up the difference.