Quantcast

The What Helmet Do You Wear Thread

Ok, since today seems to be all about helmets, and the fact that I just broke mine over the weekend, I'd like to find out who's wearing what.

I'm sitting here with a pretty good concussion as I type this (3rd one now in 2-1/2 years) and I'm starting to consider moving from a MadMaxII to an MX helmet. Weight and cost were always a prior consideration, but after looking at some numbers, it looks like alot of the MX helmets are only 100g or so heavier than the Giro. (I can handle that.) At this point, cost has become irrelivant other than ensuring I'm getting a fair deal on the purchase.

So, I'm not looking to expand the debate between mtb and MX helmets or why one is *cooler* than the other. What I'd like to see is the quick and short answer:

I wear "XYZ"

aggrorider

Monkey
Sep 20, 2005
I have a Giro Remedy Carbon full face on the way, but since it's taking so long I think I may get the new Specialized Deviant.

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
I bought a cheap 661 full bravo. I will be wearing that soon. As far as I can tell it protects just as well as any of the 300+ dollar MTB helmets do. My next helmet will be a moto helmet though.

aggrorider said:
I have a Giro Remedy Carbon full face on the way, but since it's taking so long I think I may get the new Specialized Deviant.
Yeah, I actually have a standing order for the new Remedy as well. However, after this weekends digger, I think I'm going to cancel and start looking for a moto helmet.

Oh, and BTW, a buddy of mine bought the Deviant (which he promptly returned) and I got to try it on. While it may be crazy light, it fits really weird. The chin strap is too far back letting the helmet rotate backwards making it really uncomfortable. I found it to be an overbuilt XC lid, not a DH lid.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
I have a $150 MSR (Shoei clone) helmet that I have been rocking for years.

Some people complain moto helmets are heavy...it just takes a short time to get used to them. Anymore the wieght is less of an issue with these light helmets coming out.

Some complain that Moto helmets are to "big" , or bulbous looking. That is a poor argument.

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
M2R Revolution X-2 With a spiffy new custom paint job on it. Lets hope i don't toast it frist time out this weekend.

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
none, helemts are for pvssys,

im kidding im just ridng the bell belistic, i think i might be getting the remedy, or the new fox (but not for a few more months)

Dufault01

Chimp
Nov 10, 2005
I had a tld datona last year. It probably weighed 3 ounces and didnt protect my head at all, but it looked cool.

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
I'm rockin' the new Fox V3 Blitz

It's worth it. My Fox Tracer was bulky, but like Rhino said, you get used to it. The V3 is 2.9 lbs (1.1 lbs less than the Tracer I believe...)and well ventilated. The Tracer had to be retired 'cause of the concussion I got during a ride in late August....However!! It wasn't nearly as bad as it could've been, thanks to the moto protection!!

Eggzoi

Monkey
Jan 6, 2006
Australia
I rock the Giro Mad Max 2. Did try on a Fox though, and found it very comfy, but when I do most of my riding in Aussie heat I like to be well ventilated.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
DirtyMike said:
Vigot Vamoose2. Go Go seatbelt buckle strap

Vigor Vamoose 2 for me too, in carbon. I love the buckle strap. My wife wears the same helmet and loves it but hers in not carbon.:)

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Kanter said:
Vigor Vamoose 2 for me too, in carbon. I love the buckle strap. My wife wears the same helmet and loves it but hers in not carbon.:)

Lol my spelling Sucks tonight. Mine is custom painted and all.... took it out the box to my Bro and he had it about 2 weeks. After a year i would like to redo it .... Cept he is sooo goo dnow i would cry frist time i scratched it. was his first Helmet when i had it done.

jus

Chimp
Nov 3, 2004
661 Hurricane Flight soon to have custom paint courtesy Dylan Dean! I'll post pics when it's done.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
TLD SE moto helmet.

For me it was the best fitting moto helmet that i could find. I used to ride giro mad max's for three years but I kept breaking them, i will never go back. Overall i think that the TLD will end up being cheaper in the long run due to durability.

gschuette

Monkey
Sep 22, 2004
Truck
Only D2s for downhill and a Giro Xen if I do any sort of XC. I figure my head is worth an expensive helmet or two.

Oh yeah I just got a KBC VR2 Assassin helmet. Not for mountain bikes though.