Quantcast

The Wildest Place in America:

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
In the lower 48, where would you say is the wildest place in America? Somewhere in Wyoming? Montana? I know that there are huge tracts of wilderness areas set aside in both those states, and my longterm goal is to buy land bordering one of these wilderness areas.

Where can I get the hell away from most people and not have to deal with the brutal alaska winters? Anyone know of any cool areas up that way?

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
Burly,

Are you going to start a militia? If so may I recommend Idaho...

Also, read "Into the Wild." and don't eat any potato seeds. OK?

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Burly,

Are you going to start a militia? If so may I recommend Idaho...

Also, read "Into the Wild." and don't eat any potato seeds. OK?
No. Im going to get a 28k a year job as a wildlife biologist and drink alot of beer. And go fishing.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
In the lower 48, where would you say is the wildest place in America? Somewhere in Wyoming? Montana? I know that there are huge tracts of wilderness areas set aside in both those states, and my longterm goal is to buy land bordering one of these wilderness areas.

Where can I get the hell away from most people and not have to deal with the brutal alaska winters? Anyone know of any cool areas up that way?
Mild winters and no neighbors for miles!

http://www.nmranchsales.com/properties.html

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Mild winters and no neighbors for miles!

http://www.nmranchsales.com/properties.html

I guess I should say that Im not looking for semi-arid scrub land if I can help it. And I dont really need 500 acres. 30 or so would do, but its critical to be near or bordering a national forest of some kind. I know people who've done the same in the south and they have the ultimate setup. No building behind you. Great. Not all that pricey if its in the boonies either.

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
Damn it....I thought this was going to be a thread with pics of a South Beach Burly Party.... :disappointed squirrel:

Hmmm...I'd recommend land bordering Yellowstone....or perhaps the Tetons. Always a good four season climate around there....and lots of land....don't know about cost.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Damn it....I thought this was going to be a thread with pics of a South Beach Burly Party.... :disappointed squirrel:

Hmmm...I'd recommend land bordering Yellowstone....or perhaps the Tetons. Always a good four season climate around there....and lots of land....don't know about cost.

Im sure that yellowstone land is REDONCULOUS but I was looking at some maps the other day, and there are huge designated wilderness areas Ive never even heard of. Yellowstone would be ideal, but I highly doubt I could ever afford that.

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
my short travels through wyoming definitely having me wanting to get back. I like winter and snow though, do you? I would also be considering idaho.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
my short travels through wyoming definitely having me wanting to get back. I like winter and snow though, do you? I would also be considering idaho.
I do like winters and deep snow. Im originally a northerner, I just dont want 9 months of it at 40 below. I have to get out there soon. Once I graduate, Im taking the first menial job I can find that way. The woman is a physical therapist, so she can work anywhere.

RideND

Monkey
Nov 1, 2003
Mandan, ND
My experience with Wyoming is that is the worst state in the union. Montana was cool, Utah was cool, Colorado was cool, and Idaho was alright but Wyoming sucks balls.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
The backwoods of Maine are great but in general the state may be do "Left" for BS.
I dont care about the politics in the slightest. In fact, the more "left" a state is, the more opportunity for conservation most likely. More jobs for me.:clue:

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
Frank Church Wilderness, Idaho. largest chunk of roadless area in the lower 48. You hike back in there and you are a really, really, really, long ways from anywhere.

gg

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
Frank Church Wilderness, Idaho. largest chunk of roadless area in the lower 48. You hike back in there and you are a really, really, really, long ways from anywhere.

gg
his wife should have no problem getting a job there.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
his wife should have no problem getting a job there.
haha. there just has to be a town within commuting distance. I doubt theres a town witout a hospital or PT clinic :biggrin: Im not moving into themiddle of the roadless area. Just working in it hopefully. MTBing in:biggrin:

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
haha. there just has to be a town within commuting distance. I doubt theres a town witout a hospital or PT clinic :biggrin: Im not moving into themiddle of the roadless area. Just working in it hopefully. MTBing in:biggrin:
If you want a good idea on where the largest bits of rugged land are check out the National Geographic Road Atlas. I'm using mine right now to cross the country and it lists/labels all of the national and state land areas. All I can say is that after driving through just a small bit of Nevada, Utah, and beginning Colorado there is a ****load of land out there.

I was really impressed with Utah, the Mormons have kept things pretty nice.

The Ito

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
I don't know why you haven't considered a tract in the 'shed. The prices are fairly reasonable and they have been selling plots for the last year or so fairly regularly. With state and federal parkland all up and down that mountain ridge plus Camp David in the mix, good XC, FR and DH riding, good fishing, etc., it would seem a decent choice unless you are seeking greater elevation. Believe me- things can get pretty wild up there and at night, you might as well be on the moon.

Look around Ennis/Bozeman MT...nothing is really "close" out there, but given the area and lack of other people, commutes, if you will, arent that bad. Not sure about land costs, but I can only imagine it being REALLY expensive around the Madison River due to the fishing.

Tame Ape

BUY HOPE!!!!!!!
Mar 4, 2003
NYC
Upstate NY and Western MA is pretty damn rural.

One of the guys from the LBS is from near there and grew up in a log cabin that his dad built with some friends. Crazy!

Frorider1

Monkey
Apr 28, 2006
New Hampshires white mountains are extremely rural, and so if pretty much all of new hampshire noth of concord.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Upstate NY and Western MA is pretty damn rural.

One of the guys from the LBS is from near there and grew up in a log cabin that his dad built with some friends. Crazy!
Um, pleanty of people live in "log cabins" up here and pleanty of people have built them themselves. That doesn't really sound "wild"!!

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Don't forget about the Southwest. You could drive around Nevada, Utah and even Texas and not see another soul for days.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Don't forget about the Southwest. You could drive around Nevada, Utah and even Texas and not see another soul for days.
Texas aint my thang. Too hot in the southwest MOSTLY, but a good location could change everything. Im just kind of feeling around now. Hoping maybe someone could post some link to some neat little town somewhere I would be interested in. I like the conversation.

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
Texas aint my thang. Too hot in the southwest MOSTLY, but a good location could change everything. Im just kind of feeling around now. Hoping maybe someone could post some link to some neat little town somewhere I would be interested in. I like the conversation.
Here's a "neat little town" for ya:

Middlegate, NV. The GF and myself spent the night here on our move from Tahoe back to MA. What you can't see behind me when I'm taking the picture is the quaint little town consisting of a handful of trailers, a resteraunt/bar and a hotel. That's all. I think it was at least an hour drive in any direction to get to anything else.

We spent the night partying with the locals (all 5 of them, normally 6 but one was away in Kansas on buisness). They even sang some country music for us. It was entertaining to say the least.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
West Texas is a little too flat. I don't enough about Az or Utah either...