Quantcast

The Zerode thread

Philliam

Chimp
Jan 16, 2012
Are those "Alfine undies" available for purchase?

Also, anyone know status of rumored Zelvy hub guard? MrPlow? Kntr?

Last edited:

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO

Not sure if this was posted of Elinore or not but here it is. Always a bonus when the guy shooting the video is good.

MrPlow

Monkey
Sep 9, 2004
Toowoomba Queensland
Sorry... Zelvy has been on vacation for 3 months.
:p SORRY Kntr and others...
Been cleaning up a flooded workshop this week!
We also took on distribution for BOS, and One Ghost Industries AND I knocked this up for my son (not quite finished)

Picking up a Zerode this week to take back to make some moulds. Anything else you guys want apart from a gearbox guard and downtube guard? When we shuttle in Aus we throw the front wheel over the back of the tray, the next guys brake lever then rubs your top tube. I am making a V10c top tube guard for this. would a Zerode need one?
What about any guards for the chain stays?? I should have the frame for a week or more. So good time to do all this.

Last edited:

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
The chainstay protector may be cool. Every blue moon there can be contact. Not sure about the top tube.

Raingauge

Monkey
Apr 3, 2008
Canadia
:p SORRY Kntr and others...
Been cleaning up a flooded workshop this week!
We also took on distribution for BOS, and One Ghost Industries AND I knocked this up for my son (not quite finished)
Will you be selling the kids bike? I need something with 14" wheels for my littlest one.

Dodgysam

Chimp
Jan 23, 2013
although its dry and dusty as all hell here I took the big bitch out for a burn on Saturday morning to test out the alfine undies.
Wanted to make sure they didnt interfere with anything.
Had to make a teeny tiny adjustment to it but all in all a raging success.
Keen to see how the other 2 find them in Morzine and Britain.

Dodgysam

Chimp
Jan 23, 2013
nice cameo of you on the New Zealand news bulletin last night Jono/styledairtime.
Im guessing you got on there cos you knew the cameraman or reporter...you handsome sonofabitch...and have a shave!

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
"Another great result for team KB Zerode at the latest round of the NZ National series. In a star studded multinational field Kieran Bennett and Nathan Rankin took out 2nd and 3rd places. With Sam Blenkinsop and Brook MacDonald taking out 1st and 4th. Reuben Olorenshaw snuck into the top ten just in front current junior world DH champ Loic Bruni. Lawrence Cawte rounded off a great weekend winning the Under 19’s by 4 seconds."

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
sorta :spam:

so my buddy started a new company called SEIPP and one of his little projects was adding some protection to the Zerode. It is made of derlin and has proven to be pretty strong. he is selling them for $120USD and he can be reached here: https://www.facebook.com/pages/SEIPP/458362347552722

Demo9's mom bought one for him and he can attest to it's strength as seen below in a few pics

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey

rode it all year and especially in the beginning gave it a few hard hits. this is the original proto that i have been running all year. first hit was a crank case on the windham WC track straight out of the box. We Opted for plastic bcuz its light and has better sliding properties. One of the biggest differences betweent his and the stock one is that this one has a better angle so it slides more than it digs. Additionally it is incredibly strong. This is the bottom of my bike today.

StyledAirtime

Monkey
May 24, 2006
NewZealand
the hose clamp. the big exposed bolts out either side. I dunno just for 120 USD looks a bit untidy. but im sure it works and is fantastic ,what do i know really. my kevlar guard is on the way over the ocean soon.

Dodgysam

Chimp
Jan 23, 2013
Also Im not sure Id want to be taking hit where the force is being taken directly on the shock mounting bolt...it could end up doing more damage than good.
I do like the idea though...but maybe find a new way to attach it to the frame rather than the shock mount.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Also Im not sure Id want to be taking hit where the force is being taken directly on the shock mounting bolt...it could end up doing more damage than good.
I do like the idea though...but maybe find a new way to attach it to the frame rather than the shock mount.
i brought that point up but as you can see from Demo9's bike, it can take a beating...plus shock hardware is a lot cheaper then a new shock

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
The original Zerode guards (white ones) were mounted this way, We bored and tapped the new style holes to try to accommodate another type of guard but decided that it wasnt worth pursuing and could never be strong enough. That is why he made it how he did.

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
Looks good, but so bulky, especially for the very small piggy back of the Double Barrel. If it was made a touch smaller to increase ground clearance, not take from it, I think it'd be better. It might be better than it apears in the pics though. Just in the pics it seems to stick down quite a lot. I'd rather half the material, and they break twice as easy. Looks like replacing them every now and then wouldn't be bad anyway. Does it need the bottom bolt? Could be thinnner without it. And could it be made closer to the piggy back by having internal recessed bits for the piggy back to clear? Great idea, I'd just refine it a touch. I've always thought bikes should have a built in skid plate like this. I tried to get it on my Katipo years ago. Great concept.

Last edited:

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
It provides more ground clearance than stock, despite its thickness. Rather, the ground clearance is the same, but the stock one is more triangular than ramped, it cant possibly get any closer to the shock, it could technically get skinny-er, but we designed this to be strong. (not that it has to stay that way.)

we essentially took a stock one, and "bent it in" so it didnt have that "sharp" angle on it. I had 2 stock ones before i got this one, the stock ones seemed to "dig" in a bit more and get ripped off. Not that it is a problem for everybody, but I wasnt having luck. I contacted SEIPP and he said he could get this made. Called a few days later and it was done. He says the key to hsi is that instead of starting on the bottom of the frame, it starts on the shock hardware. It lets it be thicker and have the same clearance, but get a better angle so it can slide. (my main request) If you contact him, I bet he can make it skinny-er for you and customize it. They are different per shock and he is just wrapping up on an RC4 model since this has proven to be successful.

Scientific drawing done with a micrometer and correct calibration

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
Wow that's nuts snapping those bolts, they're M6. Possibly been bottomed a lot through it's life for that to happen. I wonder if they were the titanium or steel ones.
Correct spring weight on any bike, and correct pressure in the resi are a must.
Where both bolts still in place, or had one fallen out?
Crazy fast section.

Last edited: