Quantcast

Things that seem simple to others that you find confounding:

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Rudy has been cutting my hair for the past 5 years. He does it perfect (and I have changed styles from military to civilian) and he's old school. Straight razor on the neck, trims the eyebrows, talks sh!t about the locals.

So you figure $11 for a hair cut, $3 for a shave, $3 for an education, and $3 for a tip.
same here. $13 for the haircut though.

3 32 inch LCD TV's hanging from the ceiling and lots of dead stuffed animals in the room.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
my barber still has a Ron Paul 2008 5'X8' poster in the window. well, i'll find out in an hour if it still is.

that's worth it right there to troll this sad bastard for 20 minutes

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
"That dude's drive train didn't fail as he was riding that rock section?"

Typical answer:
".....................................................................................yes?"
What about this: The dude's drive train failed as he was riding that rock section". how is understanding that any different than understanding that his drive train didn't fail? I find your confoundment confounding.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Maff...specially Kollege Algeebra. The one thing standing between me and world domination...
I had math issues in HS because I just hated being there so badly, but when I really sat down, and really tried to get all the concepts, things got alot easier for me. Wife gave me that advice of trying to treat problems like little puzzles, and in that way it's become kind of fun...dare I say enjoyable.. all the small victories.

ryebread

Monkey
Jun 20, 2007
Central Oregon
Math. any kind, doesn't matter how easy the kids say it is. I'm a picture guy.

Holiday dates. I can never remember what date Memorial day, Labor day, Valentines day, etc. fall on. The only one I have dialed is fourth of July.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I had math issues in HS because I just hated being there so badly, but when I really sat down, and really tried to get all the concepts, things got alot easier for me. Wife gave me that advice of trying to treat problems like little puzzles, and in that way it's become kind of fun...dare I say enjoyable.. all the small victories.
I hated Algebra in high school and didn't get much past it. Once I started Trig in college, I started to enjoy it myself. My mom (PhD in math theory from UNC) said it was the difference between "math" and "arithmetic". I learned to hate arithmetic, but math I enjoy.

jasride

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2006
PA
When I show up late for work because my car wouldn't start.
4 different fellow employees tell me 4 different reasons why it wouldn't
start. How the hell can they each know what the one reason was for not starting?

jasride

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2006
PA
How does a keyboard work? When you type words, how are they showing up on the monitor exactly how they should?

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Something else:

I have no idea how to program a remote control or set the time on a VCR or something. Totally electronics braindead. Especially when it only has a few buttons like a watch. WTF am I supposed to do with 3 unlabeled buttons?

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
do you take your bike computer into the shop to be "tweaked" when you swap your 1.9" for 2.2"?

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
do you take your bike computer into the shop to be "tweaked" when you swap your 1.9" for 2.2"?
There is no computer on my MTB, so no.

But on the roadie I have one, but wont ever change the wheel size for fear of being confronted with such an issue.

Apr 30, 2008
Compassion. Haven't really figured that one out... May be a problem someday soon...
who needs compassion when you have a knife.

i can not for the life of me drink anything out of a cup or mug ect while walking without spilling all over my damn self. and computers are still an alien technology to me.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
i'm very pleased to read that as of page 4, no one has mentioned parking between lines

i take it that's from the lack of SUV driving women posting here.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
I hated Algebra in high school and didn't get much past it. Once I started Trig in college, I started to enjoy it myself. My mom (PhD in math theory from UNC) said it was the difference between "math" and "arithmetic". I learned to hate arithmetic, but math I enjoy.
My 15 year old aced College Algebra in jr. high...he will be tutoring me when I take it again...smug little ****...

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
i'm very pleased to read that as of page 4, no one has mentioned parking between lines

i take it that's from the lack of SUV driving women posting here.
Well, if this is going to turn into a things you think are simple but other people seem to have immense difficulty with, I've got a list for you brother, a mile long.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
mathmatics in general. I basically need a calculator if its more math than I have fingers.....

Willy Vanilly

Monkey
Jul 27, 2003
San Jose
What about this: The dude's drive train failed as he was riding that rock section". how is understanding that any different than understanding that his drive train didn't fail? I find your confoundment confounding.
Haha. I guess that's the point. In that example, I would have taken it to mean that the guy's drive train survived as he was riding that rock section... didn't = neg, fail = neg ==> positive. Right?

Exactly why I posted it in this thread... confuses the crap out of me at the moment

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
The difference between balanced and unbalanced audio. I understand the difference I just call one the other for some reason. Same with series and parallel. I do the same thing on the video end with S-Video (Luma and Chroma) and RGBHV (H,V). Very frustrating to my co-workers...

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
I took Latin in high school. Spanish is like, well, a foreign language to me. Jenn keeps trying to hammer in the occasional phrase (she's fluent), but it just doesn't stick. So, yep, Spanish and actually all foreign language doesn't seem to stick in my brain very well.
That seems to be a common problem with most "computer" people. I know several flavors of unix, linux, VMS, MCP, DOS/Windows, OS2, Netware; add to that Basic, VB.net, Turbo Pascal/Delphi, C/C++, half a dozen ASMs and I still can't learn foreign languages. It just seems to take a the ability to think illogically to learn other languages.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
That seems to be a common problem with most "computer" people. I know several flavors of unix, linux, VMS, MCP, DOS/Windows, OS2, Netware; add to that Basic, VB.net, Turbo Pascal/Delphi, C/C++, half a dozen ASMs and I still can't learn foreign languages. It just seems to take a the ability to think illogically to learn other languages.
i stringently disagree. like you, i've written in bazillion languages on more than a few platforms/architectures and have a knack for spoken languages. this has held for the vast majority of my various co-workers who've studied languages.

grammar is grammar.
automata theory & language theory go hand in glove

i believe it all comes down to interest level & reinforcement. i'll freely admit i'm not someone you'd call smart or disciplined, but experience can be masqueraded as such.

johnnyru

Monkey
Feb 20, 2004
Slingerlands, NY
I have a few...

Explaining something I think is simple to someone who has no clue. This usually has to do with something mechanical or computers. For some people this comes easily...not me.

Credits on RM. Please don't explain, I don't really need to know.

My wife dropping hints thinking that I am going to figure it out. Is it a game!?! WTF, just tell me what you want done and I'll do it.