Quantcast

This gotta hurt when landing !

Darkreaper

Monkey
Sep 26, 2004
Away in the head
Mattoid said:
Apparently this guy isnt such a bad rider. But go ahead and tear into him for effin up this jump.
Not just for screwing up the jump, it's the total lack of common sense involved here. If he had any experience with smaller jumps he should have been able to judge the distance required somewhat better, especially with a steep hill to accelerate and an agressive kicker to launch off.

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
kidwoo said:
BCD has put up some really condescending (without jest) posts lately which in my opinion detracts from his normally very helpful and insightful contributions as well as the value of this website/forum. That's all.
i guess you would have to see me say that.
i know there are guys out there who get all
hype from watching and reading MAGS and VIDEOS
then think they are impervious and go huckit.
it is funny, to me that they idolize and think that
they can go out where someone has made a "pro"
size jump and that they can do it.

my racer mentality is that i have just as much
fun ripping a rut as hucking 40'. i get sick of
THE COOL SHOT is alway someone going big.
that is what go schmo sees and that is when
they try to replicate riders that have years of
experience.

i have ridden geared bikes off-road for 20 years!
in that time i have done some dumb stuff but never
like that video clip. i ride within my limits and have
also never broke a bone!

to go with that vid they should post him in
a hospital bed for the kids to see!

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
bcd said:
to go with that vid they should post him in
a hospital bed for the kids to see!
I don't disagree with anything you said. I just think it's silly to attack the genre when there will obviously be people who aren't smart enough to know their own limits.......but this happens in everything. It's like blaming manufacturers of alchohol when there are drunk driving accidents.......like blaming a ski area for having a cliff band that people like to jump off of when someone gets hurt......or blaming ginsu for cutting your finger while chopping vegatables because of the badass mincing ninja on TV........

That kid in that video (and I'm sure countless others) is not some victim of"freeride marketing". More like a victim of his own stupidity. I know you are aware of the frequency and severity of motocross accidents with people who get a bike and think they want to look like Carmichael. I don't blame Honda, KTM etc. for that........

Except in a few rare circumstances, injuries are the responsibilty of the person involved. Badmouthing the entire practice of a sport and not the foolishness of the individual(s) is just horribly misdirected. Especially in a sport that is so enjoyable to so many people and in an aspect of riding that is getting lots of people riding bikes who might otherwise be sitting on thier butts playing nintendo.

Sorry for the rant.....I know you love bikes......enough to make your own very original incarnations of them obviously....... I just got a little fired up about the criticism that seemed out of place. I don't think there's a "wrong" way to enjoy bike riding. :)

ncrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2004
Los Angeles
I found this very same clip and similar thread on NSMB. The vid is of rose hill in the kamloops and the high flying rider is a ripper and a local (from what the post say). Witnesses said he smashed his face up pretty bad and obviously had a nice trip to the hospital. The difference I see from the NSMB thread and our thread is that most people here are bitching about it in some for or anouther. Everybody on NSMB just wished the guy to heal up and hoped he was ok. We should do the same.

clancy98

Monkey
Dec 6, 2004
come on, if we can't say **** about the rider, or the sport, or the location, then shut up and quit posting freaking videos. I dont give two ****s if the guy got hurt thats not my responsibility, its over. The video was posted for entertainment. I laughed, because it was a dumbass thing to do.

Since when is it not okay to laugh at people who's stupidity or poor planning bites them in the ass? You probably could have rolled a damn soccer ball over that thing and seen that you are gonna eat dirt if ya try it.

Funny **** woot!

seismic

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2003
South East Asia
I posted this video because I thought it looked scarry ! .....I can see that all I have obtained is a bunch of people arguing about if the guy is a jerk or not. To the people who have nothing else but critisism towards this guy, - do you really think it was his intention to hurt himself ? What about a little respect for the fellow riders/jumpers/huckers/racers in the sport ? If you are just sitting in front of your computer and looking for someone to hate......then grap your bike, go to your local trail and burn some of all that negative energy ....

Fury

Monkey
Oct 9, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Shame on any of you that are making fun of this guy for crashing. We've all rag-dolled whether it happened when we were just out riding or on the race course. Besides, although this is definitely one of those "WAAAAAAAY too much speed" moments, this doesn't come remotely close to the following stupidity:

http://www.big-boys.com/articles/2ndplace.html

http://www.big-boys.com/articles/drunkbike.html

http://www.big-boys.com/articles/windowbike.html

http://www.big-boys.com/articles/bikerfall3.html

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
...O.K. - all the trash-talking, and Middle-School posturing aside:

Has anyone bothered to ask if this poor bastard is O.K.?

Does anyone know if he's alright?

ncrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2004
Los Angeles
OK I think it's fair to talk s&*T about the guy in the last bigboy vid. C'mon, where the helmet, moron. Darwin was right.

ncrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2004
Los Angeles
S.K.C. said:
...O.K. - all the trash-talking, and Middle-School posturing aside:

Has anyone bothered to ask if this poor bastard is O.K.?

Does anyone know if he's alright?
did you read any of the posts?
I posted what happened to hime earlier this morning. Just look for it. The guy is also apparently a very skilled rider and local to the area with that jump.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
...my bad - I skimmed thru the whole post - I'll go back to check it out...

Hope he's still able to function.

Edit: Just read your post NC... Amen brother - good to see someone else is hoping this guy is O.K.

- I know what it's like to scare the sh!t out of yourself and others pulling something new on a ramp, or drop, or whatever and not making it... Good to hear that he's O.K.

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
kidwoo said:
I don't disagree with anything you said.
Sorry for the rant.....I know you love bikes......enough to make your own very original incarnations of them obviously....... I just got a little fired up about the criticism that seemed out of place. I don't think there's a "wrong" way to enjoy bike riding. :)

i don't ether. i don't race every time i am on my bike.
i do every aspect of cycling there is.

i just get fired up when, not saying this is what happened to this guy,
but when people get draw in over there heads and get hurt.
it is there fault. they are the responable party, but they don't walk
off wall street and go hucking. there are infancies that motivate
people to to ride over there head and it makes our sport look dumb!

i am not saying there should not be cool bick of peopel jumping in mags and videos. i just don't like people getting hurt i guess. we all do dumb
things. that was just retartely over jumped and poorly made ramp.

IMO take it or leave it

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
seismic said:
it looked scarry !
Now that is an unfortunate typo right there Seismic.

I hope the dude is ok. It sucks that the crash is more entertaining than the jump would have been had he landed it clean. Personally I laughed, but in that nervous laugh way where in that back of my head I was saying to myself "Damn, I hope one of my jumps never goes that wrong..."

clancy98

Monkey
Dec 6, 2004
Fury said:
Shame on any of you that are making fun of this guy for crashing. We've all rag-dolled whether it happened when we were just out riding or on the race course.
and in those powerful and introspective moments you and you're buddies all had a good cry together....

sh|t, my friends laugh at me when I go down. bet yours do too. and here I am, still able to make it through a day without urinating myself whenever I hear a loud noise. :nopity:

Fury

Monkey
Oct 9, 2002
Toronto, Canada
clancy98 said:
and in those powerful and introspective moments you and you're buddies all had a good cry together....

sh|t, my friends laugh at me when I go down. bet yours do too. and here I am, still able to make it through a day without urinating myself whenever I hear a loud noise. :nopity:
Theres a difference between recognizing a stupid mistake and laughing at someone who is badly injured.

Downhiller

Turbo Monkey
Sep 20, 2004
CROATIA....europe....CROATIA
why??????

this show up when i click onlink

"404 Error... Page Not Found

Oops! 404 Error...

404? In other words, the file you are looking for was not found.

There are a number of reasons why this might be, such as the page may no longer exists or was moved."