Quantcast

This is what's wrong with The Industry™

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
What's wrong with tea? ;)
Hahahah
Ok. Here goes... Tea takes far too long to prepare. and once prepared even longer to reach the optimal temperature window to drink to not either burn your mouth or taste completely rank. I'd find tea with milk or sugar disgusting and adding cold water to cool it quickly also ruins it's taste. But after all that hassle even if the palnets align and your favourite good quality tea is prepared to perfection and drunk with optimal timing it still doesn't actually taste all that great. Such a disappointment! I rarely bother.
Coffee is even worse.

I've always found it funny how many coffee addicts over the years have commented on my caffeine intake from energy drinks. Most believing they're somehow entitled to as they have some sort of moral highground. (before energy drinks were a thing Coke-a-Cola was my supply)

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Oops, my bad! I was running errands and picked the first link I found. The X01 DH AXS RD was a prototype I saw at PB.
If T type AXS is on the cards for DH it's going to require a complete derailleur redesign rather than just a re-designed shorter cage. Neither Shimano or SRAM 12 spd derailleurs can cope with a genuinely close small ratio cassette. Due in part to the longer parallelogram but mostly because of the way the guide jockey pivots downwards (away from the cassette) to clear dinner plate sprockets is it shifts further up the cassette sprockets. No amount of B-Tension fiddling will get it shifting well across anything but a wide ratio cassette.

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Hahahah
Ok. Here goes... Tea takes far too long to prepare. and once prepared even longer to reach the optimal temperature window to drink to not either burn your mouth or taste completely rank. I'd find tea with milk or sugar disgusting and adding cold water to cool it quickly also ruins it's taste. But after all that hassle even if the palnets align and your favourite good quality tea is prepared to perfection and drunk with optimal timing it still doesn't actually taste all that great. Such a disappointment! I rarely bother.
Coffee is even worse.

I've always found it funny how many coffee addicts over the years have commented on my caffeine intake from energy drinks. Most believing they're somehow entitled to as they have some sort of moral highground. (before energy drinks were a thing Coke-a-Cola was my supply)
1706382049924.png

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
actually does the exact opposite for me.
often a can of Monny actually sends me to sleep

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Just to confirm. Comments associated only with the amount of caffiene. and easily well in to the hundreds in number. are what I found funny. I'm well aware of the rest of the shit in there (energy drinks).
the ridiculous claw you have to associate with.
Though. Can you confirm what you're actually saying here?

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
do you have adhs?
Having ADHD doesnt mean coffee calms you down tho. It sends me to the moon and I also have it.

As for Gravel lenses. As much as I like Gravel Bikepacking bikes since those have a use the sport lost a marble when it created its own racing that's not CX.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
whats wrong with gravel racing?
Well I may be wrong but can you explain why Gravel Racing is treated as a different to Cyclocross? Since it does really seem like splitting hairs here. I get long distance races but there are short travel races with bikes with race geo and that seems awfully close to cx.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
gravel and cx are nothing alike as copetitive events, or otherwise really either. cx just races around grassy parks and runs up stairs.
But then how is a more difficult terrain Gravel race different to XC or Marathon races on MTB's? ALso how are the bikes different? Now you kinda have me curious. The only Gravel bikes that make me interested are long travel bikepackers so this is new to me.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
But then how is a more difficult terrain Gravel race different to XC or Marathon races on MTB's? ALso how are the bikes different? Now you kinda have me curious. The only Gravel bikes that make me interested are long travel bikepackers so this is new to me.
It's really not. XC marathon and gravel are very blurry, and many riders choose a gravel bike with suspension or an XC bike with drop bars.

Gravel and CX are worlds different from a racing perspective, not sure on the bikes. I would imagine geometry is quite different as CX is tight and requires constant dismounting, gravel is long term grinds over dozens of miles.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
look what bike industry has done to you people

made you think dirt road races like leadville are a new sport, just to sell you different shit, which is actually some of the oldest shit, that's been sold all along

these nuances are positively fascinating, please elaborate :rofl:
wait until the cyclocrossers tell you about how fun and challenging it is to get off in the mud and hop over little barriers!

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
It's really not. XC marathon and gravel are very blurry, and many riders choose a gravel bike with suspension or an XC bike with drop bars.

Gravel and CX are worlds different from a racing perspective, not sure on the bikes. I would imagine geometry is quite different as CX is tight and requires constant dismounting, gravel is long term grinds over dozens of miles.
But there are also gravel bikes as bikes marketed for short distance gravel races so NOT marathons. For the long distance ones I assume the MTB Hardtail with drop bars meta will be where they end. This is why I mentioned I get long distance races. CX is not long distance so there is a clear difference there. Long distance gravel races must be fun for people who are into hemorroids.

Fool

The Thing cannot be described
Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn
BRB, boutta go get rich off my new product idea GrvlGgglz™ -- that's right, gravel-specific goggles. Already picked up VeganCyclist as an influencer. Preorders only. $129.99 Excuse me while I comb AliExpress for sourcing.

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
BRB, boutta go get rich off my new product idea GrvlGgglz™ -- that's right, gravel-specific goggles. Already picked up VeganCyclist as an influencer. Preorders only. $129.99 Excuse me while I comb AliExpress for sourcing.
Need to be customizable with the branding of your favorite mustache wax on the strap.

ebarker9

Monkey
Oct 2, 2007
I do like their Ridescape OR lenses though, and Techniums are well vented. Also helps that they only cost around €50
Do they work well in the really high contrast situation that they describe? Maybe I'm just getting to be an old man but with tinted lenses I can't see anything when riding in the woods and with clear lenses I'm blinded when I'm out of the tree cover.

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
I did a 120 km XC race last year that I definitely wouldn't want to do on a cx or gravel bike as it had a number of technical and super steep loose gnar descents...I did use a 10 year old 27.5 hardtail though, didn't die and finished 5th in my middle age man category, take that, bike industry. I also have a Roubaix roadie that I typically run with 32mm cx tires as a get around town on all kinds of terrain bike, but it also will rattle the fuck out of you if you try to take it on actual gravel rough roads for any extended period of time. And yes, I'm a dork, and I'm signed up to do the 120km-er again this year.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Aren't CX bikes limited to some ridiculously skinny tyre? Gravel bike tyres get pretty wide and offer a whole lot more safety and comfort.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Nah only for racing UCI CX. 33mm. Plenty disc roadbikes can take a far wider tyre than that nowadays and so could any CX bike made with decent mud clearance. Even many old canti brake frames.
a 47mm gravel tyre isn't far off 1.9" not an uncommon width for XC racing BITD