Quantcast

Thread of limited audience: Solidworks

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
azonicbruce said:
Really? What kind? I do outdoor architectural. SolidWorks is perfect for modeling, rendering, and manufacturing needs but SERIOUSLY lacks any lighting analysis tools that we really need.

Does VectorWorks have anything like this? From their website it looks like it only modeling.

I do Theatrical Lighting Design. Vector Works doesn't really do any type of Analysis, its more geared toward theatrical type stuff. You can layout your theatre, hang lights, and see it in 3D. It will generate paperwork, and is mostly used for lighting plots.

I don't really know of any programs that do analysis, if you find any, let me know :blah:

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
azonicbruce said:
The ones we found that look promising are:

1) OptisWorks - Works directly in SolidWorks

http://www.optis-world.com/default.asp

Biggest setback...price. About $20k

2) Other one was TracePro. I can't seem to remember the website.

Wow, it looks cool, but for 20 Grand, i'm not so interested!

You could always try WYSIWYG from ETC....... Which I just found out was apparantly bought by Cast Software :confused:

Linky

draco

Monkey
Mar 5, 2003
Roche-STAR
I rock my student edition of 05. I never model anything cool asides from stupid class-work cars and bikes. however, we are contemplating designing and building a little sports car this summer. I'm starting now.

can anyone confirm 05-06 compatibility?

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
azonicbruce said:
$100 bucks? You should be able to get a "personal" edition for free. Just speak to your local VAR. It only lasts 90 days, though. Maybe that's why the student edition cost money? :confused:
i'm still using that SolidEdge you sent me....3 or 4yrs ago.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
I dont think $100 bucks for two years of a $4000 program is a bad deal..... it'll be out dated in two years anyway.

And i'm sure you could get creative and make it last more than 2 years, but we can't talk about that kind of stuff on here :devil:

kingbee

Monkey
Mar 29, 2004
Ohio
My last job I was using Inventor. I changed jobs and Im back to AutoCAD 14! Talk about a step down. I do everything in 3d on AutoCAD also. Im in works with getting Inventor here though.

Whats the biggest difference between Inventor and SolidWorks?