Quantcast

***Thursderp GMT***

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Glad you missed the fence posts... that would have been bad.

Gravel biking FTMFL

As @rockofullr Said, E.13 coil post... completely serviceable at home with standard tools. No bleed required.
XC is still in there too. I did see some people use gravel bikes for parts of the AZT... :no:
I've never seen a gravel bike up close but I know quite a few guys who are thinking about them for "training" purposes. Back in my day we slapped on a set of 1.85 Panaracer Fire XC on a hardtail or burley Continentals on a touring bike.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
So my meeting got pushed to next week. Any CO folks want to go ride bikes this afternoon?

KenW449

Thanos did nothing wrong
Jun 13, 2017
Floating down the whiskey river...
I've never seen a gravel bike up close but I know quite a few guys who are thinking about them for "training" purposes. Back in my day we slapped on a set of 1.85 Panaracer Fire XC on a hardtail or burley Continentals on a touring bike.
Sounds cheaper and makes moar sense than buying an entire bike that rides road and dirt poorly... Training for what? They are for when you wanna ride a road bike but don't wanna seem lame to the MTBers but in reality you are lame to both.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Sounds cheaper and makes moar sense than buying an entire bike that rides road and dirt poorly... Training for what? They are for when you wanna ride a road bike but don't wanna seem lame to the MTBers but in reality you are lame to both.
I am not sure they care about being lame, they seem to focus on reducing their off season to make the most of the high country trail season.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
do I spy
with my little eyes
a e-bike?
Pivot Shuttle.
How the fuck did you end up over there?
Bike ended up over there. I bailed maybe 10 feet down from the entrance.
a. I wouldn't NOT have a dropper on my trail bike. Nope.
b. @Toshi ... that's a burly steep line if it's what I'm thinking. But shouldn't you be WAY rider's-left??
Perhaps that was the issue. :D
Way rider's left there is a rock ledge drop on top of the steep as fuck-ness. Maybe I was in the wrong place. :D

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
My Uber driver this afternoon claimed to be a neurosurgery resident with 3 years left. Good story, that. But I can look up who the residents are, and he ain't in there. I still left him a $2 tip in the app regardless.

KenW449

Thanos did nothing wrong
Jun 13, 2017
Floating down the whiskey river...
I will be interested to see what sort of downhill speed he gets but, since we are also riding with The Weather Girl ,who just got a mountain bike 2 weeks ago, bro speed may not be on tonight's agenda.
I imagine on straight, groomed stuff, pretty decent. But if thing get rocky/ loose, i would imagine it would slow to a crawl.
Not bad looking. Gonna introduce her to Teh Monkey? :monkeydance:

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Rode this evening a little. Unlike yesterday, I had no energy and the solid 100% humidity in the woods just killed my enthusiasm. Hoping for cooler days soon.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
wheels are out on fedex truck for delivery, going to be performing SCIENCE this evening trying to seat them with the compressor
please try not to bork things up, eh?
You've never sounded so. Fucking. White.
now THAT’s an impressive feat for the suburban dwelling, m-driving, yeti-owning accountant!
Cold beers and good drugs.
still 2/10. fuck jam bands. all of them.

All it took me was one ride with a regular seatpost to realize that, at least in CO, a dropper post is damn near a requirement. Too much up and steep down to make me wanna fiddle with it all the time.
interesting...i rode the nomad without one for a few months on normal rides...didn’t really miss it. just left it a touch lower than usual.

I attempted the optional line at Dakota Ridge. It did not go so well.

:D
so pleased it was the pivot and not the 5010. couldn’t have happened to a better bike!

last day in maine. back to CT tomorrow, then long drive to NC saturday. taking next friday off to go to the mountains by myself to recover from my “vacation.”

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I found this while in a youtube hole last night ... good view of the optional exit at 2:06 / end.
I think I entered it from the wrong location. I entered right at the switchback, rider's left at the start. He went down at an angle. I went down (+/- actually being on the bike) straight.

Perhaps I need to try this again. :D

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
let me know when, maybe I'll join you.
Make sure you're both wearing goggles otherwise they won't let you ride there.

(Joking due to guy in video getting rad! while needing his goggles)

Last edited: