Quantcast

Timberline Resort WV OPEN

ludovic

Chimp
Aug 5, 2008
The resort will open for skiing on Dec 5th (+/- 2 weeks) - I hope!!!
I am totally not sure, but I'd like to see the mountain biking scene remaining rideable until at least Dec 1st.
Sign this petition HERE (just kidding)!!!!

Nov 3, 2003
Virginia
My son and I will be coming to check it out as soon as Snowshoe closes...:biggrin:
Those trails look fun, not too tech though...but fun. It will be nice to chill and not pin it so damn hard every single run.
We may even bring the 5 inch bikes as well as the DH race rigs.

46chief

Monkey
Jun 12, 2007
My son and I will be coming to check it out as soon as Snowshoe closes...:biggrin:
Those trails look fun, not too tech though...but fun. It will be nice to chill and not pin it so damn hard every single run.
We may even bring the 5 inch bikes as well as the DH race rigs.
Timberline has tech, just no wood, road gaps or man made jump lines. There are a couple steep drift lines that will get your adrenal glands producing. If you want to pin it and reach ludicrous speed there are some sections that you can let go thoroughly explore your max comfortable speed.

Definitely bring both your bikes and take a ride in the Dolly Sods. You will want your big bikes for the Downhill trails though. There are some ATV race lines that are open and absolutely fun as hell to pin it down.

jrnolan

Monkey
May 9, 2008
what is the turnout looking like for the double down? it's a 7+ hour haul for me, but i'm thinking about making the trek
There is no pre-registration so I can only go by other indicators, word of mouth, phone calls and emails. We should have a good turn out and I hope you make it here.

JR

46chief

Monkey
Jun 12, 2007
We have a crew of four or five that will be there, can't wait to get me some of that seneca rocks pale ale! and some timed race runs...before of course.

rewster

Monkey
Feb 3, 2007
charlotte nc
yeah zac, i'm def trying to make it. i was planning on going solo, so it was kinda contingent on getting my truck fixed in time. if you wanna ride together let me know 7049027361

ludovic

Chimp
Aug 5, 2008
On behalf of DaMaps, I would like to personally welcome you to Timberline.
This will be the year’s first Downhill Race for 2008.

For your convenience, race maps are provided below, with previews.
Markers numbers for trail photos.
Double arrows for trail action shots.

Featuring:
2 Downhills for each category.

BEGINNERS category:
Doc’s Revenge
Link: www.damaps.net/wv/bike/trail-1591

Orange Twister
Link: www.damaps.net/wv/bike/trail-1651

ADVANCED / EXPERTS / PROS category:
Jim’s Jump
Link: www.damaps.net/wv/bike/trail-1581

Orange Twister
Link: www.damaps.net/wv/bike/trail-1651

jrnolan

Monkey
May 9, 2008
Thank you to all who rode this weekend. Ludovic has great photos of the body English required to ride steep, really slick, technical terrain. :monkeydance:Thanks also to Scott, Vic, Mike, Kimberley, Debbie, Jimmy, David, Annie, Jessica, Bobby and Doc.

JR

46chief

Monkey
Jun 12, 2007
Thank you JR, without you pulling to gether all the volunteers, setting the courses and opening the trails this summer Timberlines awesome trail system would still be relatively unknown.

It was a fun race with a good crowd of riders ready to mix it up in the slop, I'm still blown away by the sub 4 min times on the mud luge course. I can't wait to see a race ran on dry trails.

rewster

Monkey
Feb 3, 2007
charlotte nc
Big thanks to JR, Scott, and the rest of the timberline crew who were more than accommodating. One of the most fun weekends of riding I've had in a while. The two courses were very well built, each with distinctly different personalities. I see some true potential for this place......they've got the terrain and the motivation, what more do you need? Hope to see things really expand there in the coming seasons. Kudos guys!

ludovic

Chimp
Aug 5, 2008
Attached are the contact sheets for photos taken during the DH race at Timberline.

It was the first race for 2008, and I admit that while the conditions were not the best, riders came from all over the place.

See for yourself - photos below.

Attachments

ludovic

Chimp
Aug 5, 2008
I will be posting full-sized photos shortly (next couple of days).
We are working on a new program that will make life "sweet".
However (and in the meantime) email me directly here: vic@akaflash.com and let me know which photo you'd like to see.

jrnolan

Monkey
May 9, 2008
Timberline is for the riders! Thank you for comming out to ride.

Men
Pro
1st.Justin Gregory Total: 8.51.28

Expert Sr.
1st.David Layman Total: 8.17.18
2nd.John Martin Total: 9.12.16
3rd.Charlie Brand Total: 9.40.33
Drew Barringer Total: 10.23.08
Robert M. Total: 10.16.17
Aaron Y. Total: 10.31.27
Nick P. Total: 10.03.29

Expert Master
1st . Jason Cyr Total: 9.19.29
2nd . Tim Richardson Total: 9.26.33
3rd . Henry P Total: 9.51.17

Expert Jr.
1st . Corey Chambers Total: 8.32.21

Sport Sr.
1st . Geoff Allen Total: 9.01.29
2nd . Chris Philips Total: 11.36.10
3rd . Andrew Wiedrich. Total: 11.41.13

Sport Master
1st . Joe Kimmet Total: 11.28.48
2nd . Fredrick Carter Total: 19.15.08

Sport Jr.
1st . Robert Lewis Total: 10:20:07
2nd . Lucas P. Total: 17.05.33

Beginner Master.
1st . Ben Badger Total: 13.59.57

Beginner Jr.
1st . Rick Nolan Total: 12.39.12
2nd . Sam Skidmore Total: 12.50.01
3rd . Eric Larch Total: 13.19.25
Mickey Vernon Total: 15.34.06
Van Morales Total: 19.13.22
Logan Lemon Total: 23.27.08

Women
Beginner Jr.
1st. Shannon Kimmet Total:18.30.57

Fastest combined time: David Laymen 8.17.18
Fastest first run: David Laymen 3.45.28
Fastest second run: David Laymen 4.32.30

ludovic

Chimp
Aug 5, 2008
Timberline Resort Double DH - The timing was remarkable!
A rather wet 1000-vertical feet under 4 minutes!

Here's a link with full-sized photos:
www.akaflash.com
(look for the PHOTO COVERAGE on the right)

46chief

Monkey
Jun 12, 2007
I think the quality of riding was impressive, The dude that had the fastest time of the day also ran the Revenge of the Rattlesnake (36miles) the day before and did pretty well. plus all the riders that slayed it on the slime.

It was pretty cool having the XC race there, I hope they do it again like this next year, but have some mud tires for sale in the bike shop.

jrnolan

Monkey
May 9, 2008
There were a few things that riders told me they liked at the "Double Down."

Cash payout- all classes
SL gates
Two runs
Good courses and well marked
XXC race on Saturday
Finish arena
Cheep lodging

Any other things that were good or need work, let me know.

We are going to keep it open on the weekends into November.

jrnolan

Monkey
May 9, 2008
Timberline's trails are buff, 100% open and all the leaves are blown out- the tread is unreal. Come on over this weekend and see for yourself.

JR

jrnolan

Monkey
May 9, 2008
The forecast is looking like the snow will melt. This weekend doesn't look good, too much snow. Next weekend? If it is close we will be open.

I will post as the week goes by to let you know.

JR

jrnolan

Monkey
May 9, 2008
It is not over, we will be open this weekend. To those of you who rode here this season- thanks! To those who have not- what are you waiting for, and invitation? Well here it is, you are invited!

JR

ludovic

Chimp
Aug 5, 2008
You will never guess what Timberline is about to do to their brand new DH bike trails this winter. Hope you like steep, technical tight turns on boards instead of wheels.

I personally look forward to seeing you all through the winter... and back for more DH in the spring.

VSBJake

Chimp
Jul 21, 2006
NoVa
Still running the lifts this weekend? I plan to come out sunday if so...... c'mon,c'mon
Anybody else?

VSBJake

Chimp
Jul 21, 2006
NoVa
Sweet! u guys are the best! With your help I should only be looking at 2 weeks downtime between seasons!(DH & ski) Lets do the same in springtime!!!