Quantcast

Timberline WV OPEN!

jrnolan

Monkey
May 9, 2008
Timberline Resort in Davis WV has taken the first steps to open DH trails on it's terrain for this season. Timberline/Davis WV has a long history of first class events. The organizers of (The 24 Hours of Canaan, Revenge of the Rattlesnake, WVMBA State Championship and more) events in and around Timberline produce some of the best courses you can find. The reason that Davis MTB events are so popular, is the TERRAIN!

The terrain at Timberline is World Class. It's HUGE! Natural 40 ft. vertical wall rides, drops, steep roll ins, unbelievable tight bermed log cut roads, steep double/single track, natural trials and glade type tree runs!

I will post more on opening dates, upcomming events very soon. Let's hear what you folks think.

Thanks, JR Nolan

jrnolan

Monkey
May 9, 2008
Heck yeah! Thanks for the interest. Timberline's web site is behind the curve but will be updated this comming week. Pics and details are on the way . . . stay tuned.

Plans include: September WVMBA Event- DH, Dual SL, Trials, XC and more
Series- DH, SL and more
Invitational

JR

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Cool man, so how many trails are open? What is the lift pass cost? Is it all natural terrain or is there plans to build some freeride stuff?

Any shots of the terrain mentioned in the first post eg the steeps and wall rides?

jrnolan

Monkey
May 9, 2008
The below italic is on the web site . . . BUT . . . Everyone is invited on this weekend, no charge! We will look kindly at those who contribute $15 to our general fund. This fund goes to food and beverage for the day and to feeding volunteers during the trail work (pump track and SL) to come.

Go to:

http://www.timberlineresort.com/

May 31st - June 1st Timberline will host an invitational weekend of riding. Members of Mid-Atlantic race organizations, professionals riders, clubs, shop owners/employees and locals are all invited to attend. The format of the vent will feature a variety of attractions. There will be guided sessions at 10 am and 2 pm led by the people who built Timberline's system of trails and riding areas. J.R. Nolan, who is in charge of the mountain bike operation, believes that this will be, "...a unique opportunity and the best way to discover the wealth of riding that is Timberline." Nolan adds that the allure of the biking terrain is evident, "...based on the successful past events held at Timberline." Call 1-800-766-9464 for more information.

jrnolan

Monkey
May 9, 2008
I will post events and their dates soon and will put up some pics of the natural BIG terrain we have. FR will be on natural terrain features for now. You will not be disappointed. T-Line will open more and more as the season progresses. As it stands now there are three main runs top to bottom with several offshoots and areas to play. This will grow a lot in the next two weeks, doubling in size. Total vertical feet approx 6K. I will keep you posted.

jrnolan

Monkey
May 9, 2008
Yes, total vertical for all trails. There are so many 300 to 500 foot tree shots and stand alone areas that totaling is the best way to list the riding with a feel for what is there. Honestly, the area is overwhelming in the possibilities for growth and discovery of new riding.

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
It's a nice place. I rode about 4 DH runs on my XC bike at each of 24 hours of Canaan for the 3 years I did that race. I always wanted my DH bike to be waiting at the top of the last climb since the last 1.5 miles was pure DH.

jrnolan

Monkey
May 9, 2008
Yes, this is a great place to ride. Here is a photo of the RIP Rock....Do you remember where this is from?

This stone threw many riders head over heals...in the dead of night!

jrnolan

Monkey
May 9, 2008
Come on up here on May 31 and June 1 and see what I am talking about. Free lift service- oh yeah.
BTW the "Bunk House" is open for really good deals on a place to stay at the base of the hill. SUPER CHEEP $16.90/night! CAll Timberline. 1-800-SNOWING

jrnolan

Monkey
May 9, 2008
Yes, our event will be on the WVMBA events schedule. Sept 20 and 21st.

During this summer there will be a race series held on "off" weekends. Dates, Time and format TBA soon.

There will be some very interesting events held at Timberline with shades of "Snowy Luau" BIG KAHUNA!

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
The weekend after Snowshoe #3 is 6-7, not 20-21 as you proposed.

Bummer, I can't make it back for that race. There is a race in Greenville, SC that weekend.

jrnolan

Monkey
May 9, 2008
The weekend after Snowshoe #3 is 6-7, not 20-21 as you proposed.

Bummer, I can't make it back for that race. There is a race in Greenville, SC that weekend.
The date is not set yet, let me look into this and see . . .

JR

jrnolan

Monkey
May 9, 2008
OK Crazy,
Here is some buff, flowing single track "trails" for you.

JK- I know you don't to be called Crazy. I'll post some single track DH for you later. Don't worry, we have it.

JR

jrnolan

Monkey
May 9, 2008
We will use that section down toward the meadow (as one of three DH starts) then swing over to new sections that lead to Wall Rides and the new Twister's Sister. I am working on all this and look forward to the May 31 and June 1st weekend.

Nov 3, 2003
Virginia
Awesome news, Haven't been there since 95 when I raced the 24 hours of Canaan...
I don't torture myself like that anymore, looking forward to another lift assisted park close by, well...kind of close.

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
The terrain looks real promising and more resorts open is never a bad thing. I can't help but feel like the "wall rides" are just areas of erosion...when i think wallride I think of this

jrnolan

Monkey
May 9, 2008
The terrain looks real promising and more resorts open is never a bad thing. I can't help but feel like the "wall rides" are just areas of erosion...when i think wallride I think of this

I understand. The wall rides @ Timberline are bench cuts from building ski trails that traverse steep grades. They are not wood and man made. They are hundreds of feet long and range from 10 to 40 feet in width.

jrnolan

Monkey
May 9, 2008
This weekend is important to the future of Timberline DH/FR prospects. We need to show Doc (the owner) that there is an interest.
Free lifts, guided tours (10 & 2), free lunch and super cheep lodging- all in one of the best areas (Davis WV) for all MTBing you will find.

JR

jrnolan

Monkey
May 9, 2008
Just a suggestion, but those "wall rides" could be carved into some nice hips.
That's the truth! I have free reign of the development of Tline's riding. I have use of all our equipment (dozers, backhoes, track hoes, dump trucks, etc.) but need operators. Tline has potential that is endless.

Feb 12, 2008
Maryland
Anyone from the Gaithersburg/Rockville area heading down? I want to make the trip but my riding buddy is still hurt from smashing a rock at Mass.