Quantcast

Time To Destroy STRAVA Records.....

Shizzon

Monkey
Jun 25, 2015
Electric motors are rated differently than ICEs. An electric motor's power output is largely limited by heat build up vs airflow in a gas engine. So that 80hp is probably only possible for a few seconds. They should publish the various duty cycles. An electric motor that can produce 80hp continuously will probably weigh several hundred lbs.
For some reason I decided to dig into this out of my own curiosity. I have experience in working with products from Nue Motors from back in my RC car days, and recalled that they made some pretty large and high power brushless motors, so I decided to take another look and try my hand at extrapolating what a 80hp motor from them might weight.

From memory, they are pretty decent about being honest with their power ratings, and their products are highly regarded in aerial acrobatics aircraft, though I'm sure they serve other industries.

The 4400 series of motors (In-runner, 5-20kW Continuous Watts depending on rotor/can length and winding) is approximately 6.4 lb's in the 20kW version and is 152mm long. Assuming their rated power is true, this configuration is produces approximately 4.28W/g. This ratio of watt/g actually improves as you go up through the available lengths/power ratings (the 4410_5,000w config is at 2.80 W/g, the 4420_10,000w is at 3.64 W/g.

Extrapolating a bit, I'm getting that a 60kW (80HP) continuous In-runner from Nue Motors would be under 15 lb's.

They also make out-runners up to 80kW apparently, but no data sheets are on the web site.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
For some reason I decided to dig into this out of my own curiosity. I have experience in working with products from Nue Motors from back in my RC car days, and recalled that they made some pretty large and high power brushless motors, so I decided to take another look and try my hand at extrapolating what a 80hp motor from them might weight.

From memory, they are pretty decent about being honest with their power ratings, and their products are highly regarded in aerial acrobatics aircraft, though I'm sure they serve other industries.

The 4400 series of motors (In-runner, 5-20kW Continuous Watts depending on rotor/can length and winding) is approximately 6.4 lb's in the 20kW version and is 152mm long. Assuming their rated power is true, this configuration is produces approximately 4.28W/g. This ratio of watt/g actually improves as you go up through the available lengths/power ratings (the 4410_5,000w config is at 2.80 W/g, the 4420_10,000w is at 3.64 W/g.

Extrapolating a bit, I'm getting that a 60kW (80HP) continuous In-runner from Nue Motors would be under 15 lb's.

They also make out-runners up to 80kW apparently, but no data sheets are on the web site.

I would take their continuous rating information with a grain of salt. The normal definition of "continuous" is pretty much run forever at that output. Neumotors defines it as the power rating at which the external temperature is below 100C. Permanent magnets typically start to demagnetize around 80C so yeah no. It is also an open frame design which aids in cooling, which is fine for an RC airplane, not so much a dirt bike. Their wattage rating is also electrical consumption, not shaft power output. Efficiency of such motors is high at lower RPMs but will drop off significantly at higher RPMs. Permanent magnet motors also have to deal with back EMF, where at higher RPMs it also runs like a generator, so you have to have sufficient voltage to overcome the generated voltage. It may be able to consume 20KW of electrical power at stall, but unless you have a very high supply voltage that will drop off at max RPM. BEVs, especially smaller vehicles have limited voltage capability.

Anyway it is a moot point. It would be silly of them to use a 60KW continuous power output motor as the battery cannot deliver that amount of power for more than a few minutes. My original assesment was probably way off base. I had originally looked at stand alone motors with basic ambient cooling which is going to be much larger and heavier than a purpose built performance EV motor. Although much larger than what a dirtbike needs this is probably a better representation of what they use wioth radiators for the liquid cooling. They seem to have a 2:1 ratio of peak:continuous rating.

Last edited:

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
The interesting new motors have liquid or forced air cooling.

Also, what rider can hang on to 80hp continuous. It is only bursts. 6 hours of trail riding is over 6 times longer than what a KTM Freeride can do..

The high voltage bikes look like the way forward. There’s a lot of builders talking shop here.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Or just destroy your body by running downstairs and stepping on a LEGO in the middle of the night......
Thanfully I am not really into having kids and so is my GF so avoiding legos is a bit easier and usually if I hurt myself I'm the one to blame (well unless some smart person decided to lay on the landing of a blind jump)

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Stark Varg will not be homologated, so it won't be street legal. Unfortunately that doesn't work for me. They said a street legal moto "will be coming" but that's as far as they went.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
Well in some states adding lights is all that is needed. In CA guys used to get full-on MX bikes approved at DMV. Wonder what the inspector would do if you showed up with lights and slicks mounted up? There is literally no reason I could think of that it would fail inspection. Maybe because it is an unknown brand?

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
They're Suron's. not Ebikes. so are illegal everywhere except private land in the UK. but that doesn't stop every council estate having a few buzzing around prettty much every day.
2 kids passed me doing the coolest wheelie on the road on theirs just the other day.

UK Po-Po generally don't GAF... but occasionally do.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
There literally isn't a police car that could catch that MX bike....... SURON are boats. Way rather pay $3-4K more and get the KTM or this monster.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I get them wanting to prove a point by crushing them, but that's kind of saddening.

Are police auctions still a thing down there?

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Crushing uninsured cars is just as retarded and the UK police crush 20000+ of those a year too with zero fucks given to the environmental impact

sell/auction them and put the money to good use FFS.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
for stolen/recovered and unclaimed vehicles/items/property.
Not seized.
Ah I thought this was in Washington or something.

But still that's silly. The police auction seized items all the time here. Stolen/recovered/seized/etc - same shit, different pile.

aaronjb

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2010
What ever happened to that old dude in CA on a Suron who knocked an actual mountain biker out a few months ago?

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
Also, what rider can hang on to 80hp continuous. It is only bursts.
I'm not even sure about that. My KTM 300 was rated at 50ish hp and I never hit the throttle stop in my 10 years of owning it. Before I could turn the throttle that far one of the following was happening: The tire had broken traction, the front wheel was coming up and threatening to wheelie over, it was about to hit the rev limiter even in 5th gear. That much power in a 212lb bike just wasn't usable. I owned it for the smooth torque right off idle. The horsepower number was meaningless. More than 60hp? No one can put that down with dirtbike gearing at dirtbike speeds.

The battery capacity is 3x a stock Surron but it weighs more than twice as much and has much more rolling resistance. I predict 3hr run time on trails, which is enough for real rides but NOT the 6hrs they claim.

So the power and range figures are grossly exaggerated but it's still probably the best bike since the Alta. Now for a lighter weight trail focused bike that doesn't feel the need to compete with motocross racers...

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
It's nice that in Hawaii the police tolerate Surrons on the road. I use mine to run errands when it's too sunny and hot to pedal my townie. In Breckenridge I don't know how tolerant they are but for 3 years I've gotten away with riding to the trails and the occasional grocery store trip by keeping it under 30mph and stopping at intersections.