Quantcast

Tipping: Do to-go orders warrant it?

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
This is an ongoing debate in the household, as of late.

Do you tip when you make a phone order and pick up your food, to-go, from restuarants?
I know that the cooks get paid hourly, but is there a middle-man who gets the shaft if I dont tip?

Seems to me, I tip for good service at waiting my table, not out of pity.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
the Inbred said:
i think a better question would be:

am i supposed to tip at Sonic???
Only if you deem the shorts, short enough.

...but seriously, could we get some food service goon in here to give the other side?

BuddhaRoadkill

I suck at Tool
Feb 15, 2004
Chintimini Bog
The definitive answer is .... No.
No table side service, no tip. That's not to say you can't or it's not appreciated, it's just not expected and not taxed. Tip Jars at counter service places are a different animal. These employees are not taxed like sit-down wait staff are. It's entirely up to your personal feelings of generosity toward the more than likely minimum wage help.

Just an FYI, most restaurants have a tip-out system. A percentage of the tip you leave goes into a pool which is divided among the host, busser, and kitchen help.

F.O.G

Monkey
Feb 8, 2005
Monterey, CA
When I pick-up I always ask if the Cooks will get the tip. If they do I leave one, if no I don't unless it is a place I go all the time.

riverside73

Monkey
Nov 29, 2004
How about tipping at one of those all you-can-eat buffets? I have wondered if I am being cheap buy only leaving a dollar, but I think that taking away a dirty plate or two certainly doesn't warrant a normal tip like a full service sit down restaurant.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I don't ever tip for pick-up.

Why? They didn't do anything. They just handed you your food. If it's a curb-side service, I might chuck an extra buck in but only if I was feeling generous.

I tip generously when I eat in, but I'm not tipping to take my own food into my own home and serve it to myself.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
binary visions said:
I tip generously when I eat in, but I'm not tipping to take my own food into my own home and serve it to myself.
yeah, at that point, you might as well have had it delivered.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Well, from what Ive been told:

A waiter/waitress making like $2 an hour has to take the order, box the order, etc. Same as they would as if you were at a table.

BuddhaRoadkill

I suck at Tool
Feb 15, 2004
Chintimini Bog
BurlyShirley said:

A waiter/waitress making like $2 an hour has to take the order, box the order, etc. Same as they would as if you were at a table.
Not true for most places. The underlings do all that. The host or manager picks up the phone, not wait staff. The expiditor/cook boxes it up. The host/manager gives it your hungry self. None of the people involved in to-go orders make tipping wage [a wage under minimum].

Still, tips are always appreciated - but not expected for to-go orders.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Yes...Many times kitchen staffs double as servers/delivery people (therefore legally get paid less than minimum), and they count on all tips to make a living. Happened to me/gf.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
No, because I made myself a tip rule and that would break my rule.
If they do not refill my drink, I do not tip. That is my rule. (except for delivery)
There is a place in downtown where you pay a cashier at the door, and you put a number on your table. Then you go fix your own drink, and sit down. When your food is ready, the cashier drops your food off and does not return for the rest of your meal.
That = No tip.

ridetoofast

scarred, broken and drunk
Mar 31, 2002
crashing at a trail near you...
i dont know if its corporate policy or just the store i was in, but when i was in charleston sc at a wafflehouse i saw a sign that said to go orders were AUTOMATICALLY assessed a tip!

i was like WTF you have GOT to be kidding me!!!

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Jeremy R said:
No, because I made myself a tip rule and that would break my rule.
If they do not refill my drink, I do not tip. That is my rule. (except for delivery)
There is a place in downtown where you pay a cashier at the door, and you put a number on your table. Then you go fix your own drink, and sit down. When your food is ready, the cashier drops your food off and does not return for the rest of your meal.
That = No tip.
I shall hereby adopt your rule.

And there is no reason to tip for takeout.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
BurlyShirley said:

Those things are overhead. They are covered in the price of the food. A tip should represent good service that made your dining experience more pleasant. Mr. Pink's rant rang true with me.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I'm not sure if other states do this, but in Oregon, 15% can be added to any credit card transaction that is food service related. So I try to pay cash when I eat out or in because you could end up paying for bad service, or no service in the event of take-out.

Example:
Went to a local place for dinner and a few drinks. Food was good, drinks were ok, service was so-so. I left a 10% tip for the so-so service and when I saw my statement, I had paid 25% (the 10% I left plus the auto 15%).

kinghami3

Future Turbo Monkey
Jun 1, 2004
Ballard 4 life.
BMXman said:
I rarely tip so I think it's up to the customer...screw what any one else thinks...D
People like me hate people like you :p I got a $1.29 tip yesterday, and I was pissed, especially because his place was so out of the way. $3-5 is the norm.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
kinghami3 said:
People like me hate people like you :p I got a $1.29 tip yesterday, and I was pissed, especially because his place was so out of the way. $3-5 is the norm.

well I don't care what the norm is....I spend my money how I want...you want a tip?...get a job that doesn't rely on other peoples charity. I have worked in the food industry for over 15 years and I can't believe the tipping system still exists.

Customers paying directly for employees salary...WTF!....all the folks who work in an industry that rely on tips should get together and form a union and force their employers to pay them a full salary like the other 99% of the jobs out there....it a completely out dated system....D

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Move to another country with fair wages. For example in NZ you don't tip anyone. In fact once I had to twist a taxi driver's arm to get him to take a tip for helping me with my huge bike box and 3 large 70 lbs suitcases...

kinghami3

Future Turbo Monkey
Jun 1, 2004
Ballard 4 life.
BMXman said:
well I don't care what the norm is....I spend my money how I want...you want a tip?...get a job that doesn't rely on other peoples charity. I have worked in the food industry for over 15 years and I can't believe the tipping system still exists.

Customers paying directly for employees salary...WTF!....all the folks who work in an industry that rely on tips should get together and form a union and force their employers to pay them a full salary like the other 99% of the jobs out there....it a completely out dated system....D
If you don't want to tip, get of you lazy a$$ and do it yourself. Don't make someone else do it then jip them. A tip is an incentive to do a good job, the better job I do, the more you should tip. In my opinion (and this is after working in an office, print shop, construction, etc.) that tipping is ideally the fairest method of payment, though it doesn't always work out that way. As a college student with no Work Study, this is about the highest paying job I can get in a place like Seattle.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
ridetoofast said:
i dont know if its corporate policy or just the store i was in, but when i was in charleston sc at a wafflehouse i saw a sign that said to go orders were AUTOMATICALLY assessed a tip!

i was like WTF you have GOT to be kidding me!!!
Most places in Europe automatically add the tip onto the price of the food and their waitstaff gets paid A LIVING WAGE, rather than depend on assholes such as yourselves to get by. It's very rare that I tip below 20% (You've gotta be an ass to accomplish this), and I make 10k a year and go to school. Get real, it's not like you're having to forgo buying little Jimmy shoes if you tip the waitress making $2.13 an hour.

:rolleyes:

goodtobeIrie

Monkey
Aug 25, 2004
nor cal
BMXman said:

I hope you go to the same restaurant sometimes...because I guarantee they're messing with your food for not tipping...people who do not tip are scum of the earth...Food service is an excellent paying job for the hours you have to put in if you work for a decent place...if you work for a crap place and have a lot of cheapskate people who don't deserve to live not tip you...then you still get 8% of that check taxed to you...because they assume some jackass isn't too cheap to leave at least 10% at a restaurant...most of these servers are just trying to survive, especially a lot of college students...and you're taking money OUT of there pocket by not tipping them...so quit being a loser

now if they suck ass at serving you...leave a bad tip...but they still got you your food didn't they...and sometimes people have a bad day, the cooks are being assholes, nothing in the restaurant is going right...it's just way too busy...(if you want good service, you should avoid eating during the rush hours)...or you're just an asshole customer from the get go so they don't care and treat you like crap cuz they want to and could care less about the $1, if they're lucky, you're gonna leave anyways...