Quantcast

Tipping.....

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
ok my wife thinks I'm an @ss because I generally don't tip people...ie...pizza delivery, taxi, waiters...and so on. I just don't feel it's up to me to provide these people with extra income....maybe I'm just a cheapskate...but if someone want's a tip from me here's one.....get a better job that doesn't rely on other peoples kindness.....any other opinions out there....D

bikebabe

Monkey
Jul 31, 2002
Maryland
If the service is good, I'll tip. If the service sucks, I don't tip. It doesn't kill me to leave an extra few bucks...and then there's that karma thing.

It does bug me when people expect a tip, don't even try to earn it and then get offended when I pay the exact fare. (ie a cab driver who can't get off his butt to put my suitcase in the trunk)

the BIG cheese

The STUFF
Feb 26, 2002
stick red
im an avid listener to walton and johnson and the other day this was the topic, anyways this waitress was displeased with the 2 dollar tip she was left for the 10$ meal for one she served. she took the credit card and added 5$ to the 12$ ticket. she got nailed with fraud:D

i dont expect tips but im glad/suprised when i get them

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
In service industries in america, tips are included in salary/wage expectations. Your cab ride costs less than it needs to because the cabbie doesn't get paid as much as he should, because part of his wages are dependent on the quality of his service. If he does a good job he should get a standard tip. If he does bad job he gets no tip at all.

If he does a good job, and you don't tip, you're Fing up the system and the cabbie ends up making less than he should for his work, while you pay less than you fairly should for the service.

I'll stop feeling that way the irst time I see a cabbie sporting a Rolex, but until then I'll help them make an honest living.

I was waiter back in the day. My wages were $2.01 an hour when minimum wage was $4.25...

And, I especially tip a lot in massage parlors! It makes me feel good about myself, and the masseuses always show me how much they appreciate it. I always walk out with a big smile...

Pistol

Chimp
Jul 8, 2002
SD
Originally posted by BMXman
but if someone want's a tip from me here's one.....get a better job that doesn't rely on other peoples kindness
Ummmm. . . your wife is right. It would be one thing if you had legitimate reasons for not tipping, but it really doesn't sound that way. The funny thing, though, is that you are the one who loses in the end.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
ok my wife thinks I'm an @ss because I generally don't tip people...ie...pizza delivery, taxi, waiters...and so on. I just don't feel it's up to me to provide these people with extra income....maybe I'm just a cheapskate...but if someone want's a tip from me here's one.....get a better job that doesn't rely on other peoples kindness.....any other opinions out there....D

i have to say i think you are an ass too and you are just a cheapskate. i waiter makes 2.15 a hour with the expectation of getting a tip. and they work hard for that chump change.

i hope you dont frequent any place that you dont tip because i will tell you right now when you walk in the door, the servers fight to not get your table. and then talk mad **** about you when you leave. if you want good service, tip.

i could go on and on about people who dont tip but it would start to get personal and im not going to do it. if every body had the attitude that they needed a job that paid more that didnt rely on people's kindness(by the way its called etiquette) then who would deliver your fvcking pizza, or bring your food to you or refill your water or what ever for minimum wage or less.

so you have never worked for tips have you?

:mad:

mrbigisbudgood

Strangely intrigued by Echo
Oct 30, 2001
Charlotte, NC
It's all about karma my friend.

You give, you recieve. Tip the damn pizza guy. Tip the waitress. They have families to support, college to pay for, bills. $2.00 an hour doesn't go very far these days.

Oh man, you are cheap and insensitive.

If you don't want to tip, then don't use the services anywhere where tipping is expected.

Pick up your own pizza from the restaurant, drive (or bike) your self, and serve your own food.

Most of these people are paid *LESS* than minimum wage and work very hard for a living just to make ends meet. You are in no way better than them just because you make more money.

You are a Loser with a capital "L" if you are using their services and stiffing them for tips...

Just my opinion.

Tweek

I Love Cheap Beer!
If the service (delivery, waiter/waitress, cabbie) was adequate, I'll give the standard 15-20%, more for better or faster service, of course. I just don't like when they add gratuity to the bill. They usually screw themselves because they add 15%. Hey, they could've gotten more, but because they think I might not tip (when it's my choice to or not) they won't. Oh, and I absolutely hate those signs, usually in bars, that say "Tipping is not a city in China."
Just open my beer, monkey boy. :rolleyes: :D

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
Personally i think (the tip workers) should try to get away from that kind of wage it's an out dated reimbursement system. I honestly think most people would be surprised at what "I" consider service worthy of tipping. I worked in the grocery business for 6 years and have developed opinions on how I should be severed all the way down to how you count my change back to me. I’m a stickler for detail.
Now maybe servers in establishments where you pay more than $100 a plate might stay on the tip system but with more people eating out, than in the past, I think it should be dropped.

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
I tip if the service is good.
if my water glass if filled before I have to go find the pitcher and fill it myself. etc.

it's just my way of saying thanks.

on the other hand, i used to work and a gas station and people would try and tip me if I put oil in their car or checked their tire presure.
I would decline from these tips and tell them I was doing my job and I get a paycheck. I'd say it in a nice way, not like I was too good for their money. that used to piss of the lazy stoners I worked with because they lived for tips but rarely got them. (because they did half ass work)

on the other hand, i used to work at a dry cleaners(i've had all the ****ty jobs) and I was the guy that got the mens dress shirts ready to be washed. I had to check the pockets and often found cash.

I was stoked when I found 20 bucks and weed in one guys pocket.

that was the same job that a customer threatend to break the windows out because he didn't like the price he was being charged. (worse job ever)

Will_Jekyll

CUSTOM Chimp
Aug 10, 2001
Superior,CO
Originally posted by ohio
In service industries in america, tips are included in salary/wage expectations. Your cab ride costs less than it needs to because the cabbie doesn't get paid as much as he should, because part of his wages are dependent on the quality of his service. If he does a good job he should get a standard tip. If he does bad job he gets no tip at all.

If he does a good job, and you don't tip, you're Fing up the system and the cabbie ends up making less than he should for his work, while you pay less than you fairly should for the service.

I'll stop feeling that way the irst time I see a cabbie sporting a Rolex, but until then I'll help them make an honest living.

I was waiter back in the day. My wages were $2.01 an hour when minimum wage was $4.25...

And, I especially tip a lot in massage parlors! It makes me feel good about myself, and the masseuses always show me how much they appreciate it. I always walk out with a big smile...
I think that whole system is B.S. I shouldn't be responsible for paying someone's employees. If they want more money tac it on to the price of the fair or plate don't make it a hidden charge. And why should the cost of my dinner determine how much I tip you. If I go to the same resteraunt and order the 24 oz steak and not the $5 hambuger and you do the same amount of work how does that entitle you to more money? I tip because I know people are getting taxed on it and if I don't want bodily fluids in my food the next time I return that is what I have to do but I don't like it one bit.

mr_dove

Monkey
Jan 18, 2002
Denver, CO
I can accept tipping in food service but I have a problem with it in other areas. I only leave a tip if they provide good service. I don't feel any obligation to tip someone who gives bad service.

They say that it's even better to leave a penny when you get bad service. It's kina like saying "screw you".

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I like to tip and I will not go out to eat unless I can afford the meal and an adequate tip that fits the service rendered. How can you begrudge such a small amount???

Don't want to tip the Cabbie? Take a bus.
Don't want to tip a food service worker? Eat at McDonalds.
Don't want to tip the sex industry worker? Do your wife. :D

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
I just hope that you aren't doing it to the same person more than once, b/c if you are... then you are probably getting some "animal" product on your Veggie pie.
A little SNOT.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
Originally posted by Will_Jekyll

I think that whole system is B.S. I shouldn't be responsible for paying someone's employees. If they want more money tac it on to the price of the fair or plate don't make it a hidden charge. And why should the cost of my dinner determine how much I tip you. If I go to the same resteraunt and order the 24 oz steak and not the $5 hambuger and you do the same amount of work how does that entitle you to more money?
This is my whole point...why aren't businesses paying their employee's a full wage and who is the idoit that decided some how I'm responsible for supplementing someone else's income?....Oh and BTW I was a waiter all the way through cooking school (2.5 yrs.) and I have been on the other end....I currently work at a health food store and get paid squat compared to my previous job....but I'm not working ther to get rich....D

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
Originally posted by -BB-

I just hope that you aren't doing it to the same person more than once, b/c if you are... then you are probably getting some "animal" product on your Veggie pie.
A little SNOT.
so you tip out of fear...what does that say about how the tipping industry is as a whole?.......D

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
Originally posted by dirtgirl

Oh man, you are cheap and insensitive.

If you don't want to tip, then don't use the services anywhere where tipping is expected.

Pick up your own pizza from the restaurant, drive (or bike) your self, and serve your own food.

Most of these people are paid *LESS* than minimum wage and work very hard for a living just to make ends meet. You are in no way better than them just because you make more money.

You are a Loser with a capital "L" if you are using their services and stiffing them for tips...

Just my opinion.
ok don't make generalizations about me when you don't know me...I'm neither cheap nor insensitive.....I DO tip a person when they go out of their way and do something beyond their normal job for me.....It is not my responsibility to help someone who has CHOSEN to take a job that pays less than minimum wage....was the loser comment really necessary.....just trying to have a discussion here....D

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle

it is not my responsibility to help someone who has CHOSEN to take a job that pays less than minimum wageD
maybe that's all they could get....?

i know i've done things because i need to pay rent that i wouldn't do if i had money.....

but then, I AM a loser......baby

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
Originally posted by mrbigisbudgood
It's all about karma my friend.

You give, you recieve. Tip the damn pizza guy. Tip the waitress. They have families to support, college to pay for, bills. $2.00 an hour doesn't go very far these days.
Karma...is a wasted idea on me.....I don't do nice things expecting to get something in return...I do them because I want to, and I expect nothing else...of course if I do get something I'm always thankful....D

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO

This is my whole point...why aren't businesses paying their employee's a full wage and who is the idoit that decided some how I'm responsible for supplementing someone else's income?....Oh and BTW I was a waiter all the way through cooking school (2.5 yrs.) and I have been on the other end....I currently work at a health food store and get paid squat compared to my previous job....but I'm not working ther to get rich....D

well take it up with the company and dont take it out on the employee. people have to work. they need jobs and food service and services in general in which tips are expected, are huge employers in the U.S. so take it up with them if you have a problem.

tell them you want them to pay their employees more money. you pay for their services and then you have to tip their employees when your meal is over so they get out of paying them as much. its bull****. its all about exploitation (and i dont want to go off on an exploitation tangent.)

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO

Explain.....
you are missing out on really excellent service by not tipping, especially at places that you frequent regularly. people who are regular in the joint i work in get stuff for free, they get priority over other customers. they get the best service and product every time they come in. same goes for me and the places that i frequent. its a nice little pay off for a couple of bucks.

-LAURA

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
Originally posted by TN_Fred

well take it up with the company and dont take it out on the employee. people have to work. they need jobs and food service and services in general in which tips are expected, are huge employers in the U.S. so take it up with them if you have a problem.

tell them you want them to pay their employees more money. you pay for their services and then you have to tip their employees when your meal is over so they get out of paying them as much. its bull****. its all about exploitation (and i dont want to go off on an exploitation tangent.)
I agree with your point but it should be the employee not myself who should be taking it up with the employer...If something needs to be done, then the person who is directly affected should be the first to act.......D

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
Originally posted by TN_Fred

you are missing out on really excellent service by not tipping, especially at places that you frequent regularly. people who are regular in the joint i work in get stuff for free, they get priority over other customers. they get the best service and product every time they come in. same goes for me and the places that i frequent. its a nice little pay off for a couple of bucks.

-LAURA
hmmm...so once again....sounds like tipping for something they should be doing already....sounds kind of self serving to me...customers should all be treated in the manner you describe....what about the honest hard working guy who can't afford to tip much vs. the rich person who can...should he be treated any less???.......D

hmmm...so once again....sounds like tipping for something they should be doing already....sounds kind of self serving to me...customers should all be treated in the manner you describe....what about the honest hard working guy who can't afford to tip much vs. the rich person who can...should he be treated any less???.......D
First, now I'm getting confused, I thought we were talking about not tipping at all versus tipping (any amount)?

Second, sorry for calling you a loser earlier, but you hadn't stated that you do tip occassionally for exceptional service, so I thought you meant you never tipped and always stiffed the service staff.

But I still think that someone that doesn't tip for decent service when it is customary is rude and inconsiderate.

If someone doesn't want to (or can't afford to) tip, then they should not use the services of someone where tips are customary.

If you don't agree with tipping on principle, then don't patronize businesses where tipping is expected. Taking your business (and your $$) elsewhere is making a statement to the business owners; stiffing the employee who provided you with the service is only being rude and inconsiderate.

Will_Jekyll

CUSTOM Chimp
Aug 10, 2001
Superior,CO
Originally posted by dirtgirl
If you don't agree with tipping on principle, then don't patronize businesses where tipping is expected. Taking your business (and your $$) elsewhere is making a statement to the business owners; stiffing the employee who provided you with the service is only being rude and inconsiderate.
Where exactly can I take my business when I want to go out and eat? I'm not aware of any restaurants that don't depend on tips.

mrbigisbudgood

Oct 30, 2001
Charlotte, NC
Originally posted by Will_Jekyll

Where exactly can I take my business when I want to go out and eat? I'm not aware of any restaurants that don't depend on tips.
McDonalds, Burger King, Carl's Jr., KFC, you should be alright there.

We're the richest country in the world. What the hell is so bad about tipping, its customary, get over it. If you dont' like the customs here, move. Y'all can afford to have 3 $5000 downhill bikes, maybe you could help mommy buy diapers for her little girl. Is that so bad? Too much to ask?

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
Originally posted by mrbigisbudgood

McDonalds, Burger King, Carl's Jr., KFC, you should be alright there.

We're the richest country in the world. What the hell is so bad about tipping, its customary, get over it. If you dont' like the customs here, move. Y'all can afford to have 3 $5000 downhill bikes, maybe you could help mommy buy diapers for her little girl. Is that so bad? Too much to ask?
If the workers demand a wage that wage will be paid. Tipping is an outdated compensation system. If your job doesn’t pay the bills get a new job/reduce your expenses. It is just that simple.

ANd What and how i spend my money is not anybody’s business. If you look at somebody and say "hey look at what they have" and EXPECT them to give you some of what they have then the problem most definitely lies in you.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.

so you tip out of fear...what does that say about how the tipping industry is as a whole?.......D
No.. I tip b/c the person did me a service for which part/all of his monitary compensation is expected to be paid by me, and the amount paid varies in proportion to the quality of the service I received.

If there was no tipping, what would be the incentive for the pizza guy to get to your house in a prompt manner? If there WAS no tipping, we would pay for it anyway in higher product costs, but by making it a discressionary item, it provides incentive for the server to be more professional.

mrbigisbudgood

Oct 30, 2001
Charlotte, NC
Originally posted by The Toninator

If the workers demand a wage that wage will be paid. Tipping is an outdated compensation system. If your job doesn’t pay the bills get a new job/reduce your expenses. It is just that simple.

ANd What and how i spend my money is not anybody’s business. If you look at somebody and say "hey look at what they have" and EXPECT them to give you some of what they have then the problem most definitely lies in you.
Wow, that's a really ignorant point of view.

Sounds like you need to start a Restaurant Workers Union. You want something changed, do something about it.

Demand a new job? In today's market? There are a few people on this board who would laugh at you for suggesting the "get a new job" statement. One of them has been looking for almost a year now.

You think somebody's grandmother is waiting tables because she chooses to? I don't think so. She's there because her husband had cancer and used up all their retirement money getting treatments and eventually died. And you won't tip her for bringing you a new fork because the one you had was dirty?

People seem to have the misconception that because they have a good life, everyone else can have it to. Circumstances happen. It's an old system yes, but it works. Should we eliminate the bonus system from Corporate America too? How about overtime?

Being a stingy ass will get you nowhere. But bumping up the wages of waiters/waitresses so you won't have to come off $2 will definitely raise the price of your bacon cheeseburger and fries. Pay them more, your gonna have to pay more for the food, simple little equation.

So you might as well not tip and get the service for free huh? ....edit.... Let the generous people like myself pay for YOUR service. Yeah, thats fair.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I have friends who tip NO MATTER WHAT... I'm like, but if the waiter was rude and slow, you'd STILL tip???! Yes they would.

If the service was bad, I not only don't tip, but I tell the manager how displeased I was.

Expecting tips no matter what is just as stoopid as not tipping no matter what.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
The only time I don't tip is when the service sucked. I'd rather the wages for servers NOT be raised in replacement of the tipping system because as mentioned, then there will be NO incentive to get me my damn refill!

A gratuity is just that.