Quantcast

Tips for Moab?

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Is that drop to stepup on the turn still there about 2/3's of the way down? That drop was super cool.
Yes I think so, if you mean in the "open" area and mean this one. Apologies for the annoying video though.

Last edited:

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
It is illegal for a bartender to serve you a double. However, it is legal for you to buy someone else a shot which they can dump in their drink, and they can do the same for you.
This is technically illegal, I was booted out of a bar in SLC for doing this during the OR tradeshow.... after dropping $1k+ on drinks and dinner for people

bagtagley

Monkey
Jun 18, 2002
VA
What's up with Ahab? People I know and trust said it was a must-ride, but I was supremely underwhelmed. I figured we took a wrong turn, or needed a tour guide to find the good side-hits. We went back up and did the OG Jeep road, and it was awesome as usual.

Giliberto's is the spot for cheap food. Not amazing, just tasty and plenty of food. I'd put it on par with the other Mexican joints, but you order at the counter, so it's cheaper, faster, and they have a solid salsa and pickled veggie bar.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
What's up with Ahab? People I know and trust said it was a must-ride, but I was supremely underwhelmed. I figured we took a wrong turn, or needed a tour guide to find the good side-hits. We went back up and did the OG Jeep road, and it was awesome as usual.
In case you missed where it's been said like 3 times here: yes upper ahab is a miserable piece of shit

Lower ahab is the only part worth riding. And it has nothing to do with side hits the trail is just generally routed pretty well IMO. The more violent you let yourself get the better it flows over the little short uphills.

You can tell this stuff looking at maps y'all. Squiggly wiggly shit that crosses topo lines both ways over and over again is a bad time. And moab is full of that crap.

Last edited:

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
SLICKROCK!
EVERYTHING AT NAVAHO ROCK
MAG7!
BLUE DOT!
LITERALLY EVERYTHING ON THE SOUTH SIDE OF KLONDIKE BLUFFS!
VANCOUVER!

You CO guys act like EKG is the only shitty trail ever built. If you rode that trail after looking at a map, you deserved every bit if it. Wanna know a trail I've never ridden? EKG!
You're such an elitist snob. :p

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Thanks again everyone. Based on these comments we're gonna hit slickrock, upper Ahab (not lower), then get super gnarly on gooseberry mesa. Can't wait, gonna be so sick!!!

:D

PS: We're rolling out this weekend and will be Moab next week, then heading over to Fruita/Grand Junction at some point. If anyone expects to be around and wants to try to meet up, send me a PM.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Thanks again everyone. Based on these comments we're gonna hit slickrock, upper Ahab (not lower), then get super gnarly on gooseberry mesa. Can't wait, gonna be so sick!!!

:D

PS: We're rolling out this weekend and will be Moab next week, then heading over to Fruita/Grand Junction at some point. If anyone expects to be around and wants to try to meet up, send me a PM.
Bring your warmies!!

And don't forget EKG.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
I forgot the moab rim trail. It's the still in tact counterpart to the good part of portal, right across the crick. It's a hike a bike up it and then just come down but it's pretty damn fun.
Maybe I was overly hung over, but I don't remember the descent being worth that miserable climb up.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Maybe I was overly hung over, but I don't remember the descent being worth that miserable climb up.
Just don't mistake of trying to pedal up it. You made the mistake didn't you?

It's quick but then again so is/was portal. It's fun though.

Although I will say, portal lasts a little bit longer if you bury your face in some sand and boulders and then have to sit there for a while to figure out if you have a face concussion. Having to go walk around off the side of the trail looking for your bike adds some time to the descent too. That was my system last time.

Last edited:

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
I forgot the moab rim trail. It's the still in tact counterpart to the good part of portal, right across the crick. It's a hike a bike up it and then just come down but it's pretty damn fun.
It was pretty awesome when the chairlift was there.
I roached a rim into two pieces following Miles Rockwell down it (name drop alert)

bagtagley

Monkey
Jun 18, 2002
VA
In case you missed where it's been said like 3 times here: yes upper ahab is a miserable piece of shit
That’s why I’m asking wassup. Don’t understand why people recommended it. Lower was okay, but I thought OG Amasa was better.

I liked Mag 7, but I knew what we were getting into.

bagtagley

Monkey
Jun 18, 2002
VA
It was pretty awesome when the chairlift was there.
I roached a rim into two pieces following Miles Rockwell down it (name drop alert)
The lift was great cause you could do laps and figure out the good lines and get comfortable doing it fast. That was also pre DH bike for me, so it was a lot spicier on whatever crappy XC bike I was riding.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
You guys who have been to Moab a bazzilion times can ignore this. But for those who are going for the first time, some words:

I think it is important to remember that Moab is classic mountain biking. Ridiculously fun terrain with usually great weather when the weather is not so great at home. For us who have been there thousands of times, it's easy to nit pick and criticize. But it's all good. It's more about planning the trip with your bros, riding, having fun, hanging out after, making new friends, camping or hot tub time machining, whatever. Don't get too bogged down in "what's the best". As nothing is going to be "the best". There is always going to be trade offs. Just go and ride your bike, explore, push your limits, huck some rocks, and have fun in an outdoor paradise. I think that's what Moab is all about.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Funny

Moab to me is avoiding people at all costs, getting done with porucupine at a time of day that is beater free, achieving a zen like status of tunnel vision smashing over rocks that I'm not even really registering that I'm riding over because lines of sight rule...........and camping next to zero people in the middle of nowhere so I can watch desert sunsets and stars in desolate silence. Maybe ponder what that area was like 50 years ago before it got outdoor marketed to death.

And flipping off everyone I see with california plates. That's fun too.

Last edited: