Quantcast

Tires...

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Ok so I've decided that my Kenda Kinetics aren't what I'm looking for in a tire.

I want something a tad lighter with better traction in the turns.
Around here right now it's mostly dry trails with some semi-tech stuff.

Anybody got any suggestions?

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
Don't know what to tell you, everyone seems to have their favorite. Right now I'm loving some Continentals that my friends hate and we ride the same trails.

May find something useful here

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
I'm not sure of the weight range you're interested in (I'm not familiar with Kinetics), but I've always had great luck with Mutanoraptors.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
pixelninja said:
To reiterate what I wrote in the thread BikeGeek posted: Panaracer Fire XC Pro 2.1's

I rode thoes for a year straight around here and I loved them on my hardtail. They make them in different sizes now correct?

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
I just mounted some Kenda Nevegals:
Front: 2.35 Sticky-E
Rear: 2.1 Sticky-E dual compound

Rode on them yesterday and they hooked up pretty damn good :thumb: Before that I had a 2.35 ST Maxxis High Roller on the front with a 2.0 Hutch Python Lite on the back and the rear would always wash on dry surfaces...font did hook up tho!!

I was impressed with my first ride on the Kenda's. They roll a bit slow, but boy to they hook up. Time will tell...the sidewalls on the Kenda's worry me a bit...they are paper thin.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
McGRP01 said:
Do a search n00b... :rolleyes: ;)
Yeah I did, I was looking for more specific info however I just read thru that thread and it game me some ideas.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Acadian said:
I just mounted some Kenda Nevegals:
Front: 2.35 Sticky-E
Rear: 2.1 Sticky-E dual compound

Rode on them yesterday and they hooked up pretty damn good :thumb: Before that I had a 2.35 ST Maxxis High Roller on the front with a 2.0 Hutch Python Lite on the back and the rear would always wash on dry surfaces...font did hook up tho!!

I was impressed with my first ride on the Kenda's. They roll a bit slow, but boy to they hook up. Time will tell...the sidewalls on the Kenda's worry me a bit...they are paper thin.
what type of riding were you doing?

Oh my Kenda Kinetics I didn't have any sidewall problems with.
I really liked the MAXXIS HANSVENTURE 2.35 that came on my MKIII however I had all kinds of pinch flat problems with them.

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
ok...in all seriousness, I have 2.35 Kenda BG/Nev Stick-E combo on my Kona, and they hook up on everything. I just ordered another set in 2.1 to see if I can get a little less rolling resistance. Other than that, they're awesome!

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
stosh said:
I rode thoes for a year straight around here and I loved them on my hardtail. They make them in different sizes now correct?
Just 1.8 and 2.1.

Panaracer is now making one called the Cinder that looks similar to the Fire XC, but is made of a different compound and comes in 1.9, 2.1 and 2.25. The 2.25 is almost 200g more than the 2.1 Fire XC.

http://www.panaracer.com/eng/products/mtb/xc.html

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
McGRP01 said:
ok...in all seriousness, I have 2.35 Kenda BG/Nev Stick-E combo on my Kona, and they hook up on everything. I just ordered another set in 2.1 to see if I can get a little less rolling resistance. Other than that, they're awesome!
You run the BG in front?

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
stosh said:
You run the BG in front?
Yeah, even though it/they are not fr/rr specific tires, most people run them this way. I have run a BG front and rear and it was good in dry conditions, but not as good in the slop. And, on my DH bike I run Nev's front and rear.

mogulskr

Monkey
Aug 28, 2002
NH
I just mounted some Kenda Nevegals as well.
Front & Rear: 2.1 Sticky-E dual compound

They do hook up well, the thin side wall worries me as well. I also noticed when I went down a steep loose descent the front tire seemed to move from side to side (maybe from the side wall). I run 38 PSI in them so maybe that is the issue.

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
stosh said:
What is the advantage of the Cinder?
Beats me. The Panaracer site basically just says the new compound makes it a better tire than the Fire. If it weighs the same as the Fire, I may try a pair when my Fire's wear out.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
I still don't agree with this whole sticky compound that companies are coming out with. I'm not sure how when tires are covered in dust or mud the sticky'ness of the compound matters at all?

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
stosh said:
I still don't agree with this whole sticky compound crazy. I'm not sure how when tires are covered in dust or mud the sticky'ness of the compound matters at all?
I agree to an extent. Although, in muddy situations, I can see how having a compound that sheds mud easier would be a good thing. Less mud packing up your tread = more traction.

In dry conditions, I would think that the hardness or softness of the rubber would make a bigger difference than the "stickiness" of the compound.

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
stosh said:
I still don't agree with this whole sticky compound that companies are coming out with. I'm not sure how when tires are covered in dust or mud the sticky'ness of the compound matters at all?
My Kendas hook up to everything, wet or dry. Roots, rocks... I'll never go back.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
pixelninja said:
In dry conditions, I would think that the hardness or softness of the rubber would make a bigger difference than the "stickiness" of the compound.
They're really using a "sticky" compound? I always thought "sticky" was just a buzzword used to simplify the hardness/softness characteristics.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
McGRP01 said:
My Kendas hook up to everything, wet or dry. Roots, rocks... I'll never go back.
Maybe I'll have to pick a set up. I hate paying full price after seeing the Kenda guy at selling them so cheap at Mountain Bike Weekend.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
BikeGeek said:
They're really using a "sticky" compound? I always thought "sticky" was just a buzzword used to simplify the hardness/softness characteristics.
You may be right but when has the word Sticky refered to a hardness or softness of something.
I always thought it was called sticky because they seemed more tacky to the touch.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
BG you're right in a sense...

Slow rebounding rubber compound for the ultimate in traction control. The slow rebound ratio of the rubber, acts as a suspension, allowing the tread to conform to the trail surface rather than bouncing off of it. Stick-E rubber is used in two applications. One is over the entire tread surface (Freeride/Downhill) the other is on the outside knobs used on cross country applications for outstanding traction in the corners.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
stosh said:
You may be right but when has the word Sticky refered to a hardness or softness of something.
That's why I thought it was a buzzword. Softer tires tend to grip better, hence, they're "stickier." Maybe I'm the only one that thought that way. :)

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
stosh said:
... Slow rebounding rubber compound for the ultimate in traction control. The slow rebound ratio of the rubber, acts as a suspension, allowing the tread to conform to the trail surface rather than bouncing off of it. Stick-E rubber is used in two applications. One is over the entire tread surface (Freeride/Downhill) the other is on the outside knobs used on cross country applications for outstanding traction in the corners.
My money would go to the company that can combine the stickiness with durability while maintaining low rolling resistance. Usually one happens at the expense of the others.

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
BikeGeek said:
The Panaracer site says nothing about "stickiness". It just talks about some special compound that makes the Cinder a better tire than the Fire XC. Here's what it says, take from it what you will:

The heir apparent to the XC Fire, the Cinder incorporates our newest compound technology ZSG Ultima. This compound performs unlike any other that we've ever developed. Hot or cold, wet or dry, ZSG-Ultima is up to the task. Add to this our progressive multi-height knob configuration and the Cinder just rolls away from the Fire XC in terms of overall performance. ASB keeps away the pinchies and "gAbsolute F&R" design makes it work well on the front or rear.
That said, there are some rubber compounds that are more sticky than others. Take for instance the rubber used in climbing shoes. Definitely more sticky than the rubber used in everyday athletic shoes.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
BikeGeek said:
My money would go to the company that can combine the stickiness with durability while maintaining low rolling resistance. Usually one happens at the expense of the others.

Then your money should go to Michelin. Their new dual compound XCR and AM tires are my favourite tires ever.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
SuspectDevice said:
Then your money should go to Michelin. Their new dual compound XCR and AM tires are my favourite tires ever.
Michelin 2.1 Comp S used to be my tire of choice. Then the Comp S dropped to a 1.9 and they introduced the Comp S lite in 2.1. The lite never performed the same as the regular S. I haven't looked at Michelin in a while, maybe I'll check out their lineup again.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
pixelninja said:
The Panaracer site says nothing about "stickiness". It just talks about some special compound that makes the Cinder a better tire than the Fire XC. Here's what it says, take from it what you will:

That said, there are some rubber compounds that are more sticky than others. Take for instance the rubber used in climbing shoes. Definitely more sticky than the rubber used in everyday athletic shoes.
The cinders seem expensive where I've seen them sold.

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
MMcG said:
some wicked cheap specialized enduro 2.0 tires at www.chucksbikes.com - $4.50 each!

Just for the hell of it I picked up two. Nine bucks for two 2.0 tires from a solid company like the Big S - figured I couldn't lose.
Are they the 60 or 120tpi version? Doesn't really matter, I guess, for that price.

Meat Foot

Monkey
Mar 24, 2004
On the asthenosphere
stosh said:
Hey Stosh,
I love them Fires in the 2.1 all around. I had the intention to run a Cinder 2.25 up front on my XC rig. Well, turns out I put it on the back and placed a Fire 2.4 FR on front (from my SS). Will ride tonight, and report later. What are you looking for weight wise? I hear good things about the Kenda Tomac stuff. Nevegals, Cortezs, etc. They are generally a little bit lighter than the Panaracer stuff given the same widths. I have read on MTBR that the Cinder is good front and rear too.

Cheers.

Meat Foot

Monkey
Mar 24, 2004
On the asthenosphere
pixelninja said:
Performance is selling another of my favorites tires for a good price: IRC Mythos 2.1 for $12.95 each. I found these tires hook up well in dry rocky conditions. And they're light too, 565g each. Note that these come in front and rear specific versions.

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=12463#
Killer buy, how do they do in the gravelly, rocky, rooty, hardpack, rollers, you get the idea about all arounder. I have heard good things on the semi-slicks for the dry hardpack. I have never owned a semi slick though. Mixed bag.

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
Meat Foot said:
Killer buy, how do they do in the gravelly, rocky, rooty, hardpack, rollers, you get the idea about all arounder. I have heard good things on the semi-slicks for the dry hardpack. I have never owned a semi slick though. Mixed bag.
The only condition that I haven't used the Mythos in is mud. Other than that, I found them to be a great all-around tire. They were my last set and I now run the Fire XC Pros. I'd say that both are good all-around tires.