Quantcast

To take his name or not?

MUTOLI

Air Monkey
Mar 14, 2004
PNW
Sorry to butt in! I am married-have been for over a year now! I was sooooo happy to take his last name because I can't stand my old last name...lets just say I got teased alot from the movie Space Balls (Swartz)! Thanks for marrying me Ethan! :love: Back on subject...unless the last name was completly terrible I feel that taking the husband last name is good. However, I think that the women should choose...after all..it's there name!!!

Mocha

Monkey
Jun 14, 2002
Vancouver Island
I got married this past July. I was planning on using my husband's name socially and keeping my name professionally. Well, that has turned into a nightmare! I forget what name I've used for what, and I have to carry my marriage certificate around for ID. I'm really not a fan of my maiden name anyway, so I'll be changing my name to his in the new year. It will be so much easier, and frankly I like the idea of being a family with one surname. I struggled with the decision though, because most women I know in their 30's would never even think of changing their name. I almost felt like there was something wrong with me for wanting to take my husband's name.

Mocha said:
I got married this past July. I was planning on using my husband's name socially and keeping my name professionally. Well, that has turned into a nightmare! I forget what name I've used for what, and I have to carry my marriage certificate around for ID. I'm really not a fan of my maiden name anyway, so I'll be changing my name to his in the new year. It will be so much easier, and frankly I like the idea of being a family with one surname. I struggled with the decision though, because most women I know in their 30's would never even think of changing their name. I almost felt like there was something wrong with me for wanting to take my husband's name.
Id be LEARY of using his name too...heheheh :D

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Velocity Girl said:
And as for the other wedding traditions....yes, I have the traditional two rings, but Jason has two also! So should he not have his second ring just because it's not tradition? That would be silly, just the same as I personally feel it's silly that a women HAS to take the mans name.
His two rings isn't so strange....

It was the fact that Freak wore a white wedding dress at the wedding.... :sneaky:.....not that there is anything wrong with that. :D

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
I personally don't see changing the last name as a "equal" sacrifice to Staying home and rasing the kids....that Megan B eluded to.

I am probably going to catch flack for that. :think:

Also I associate the refusing to take your husbands families last name with some friends of my family. She took his name and then changed it back and is angry if you call her by her "married name" It seems like she did it in a cold and hurtfull manner. but that is just my experience with it. She seems a hartless cold bitch.....and did it becuase of her less than loving feelings.

To those "professionals" out there who fear people won't associate with you after you take a new name....is kind of strange. Since that was once the norm....it would seem that people would be confused at not taking their husbands last name. They are not going to leave you if you change your last name, that is rediculous. You got married, people understand that and takes much less time to explain than not taking it.

If you are a movie star sure keep the old name, unless it helps your career. But most movie star marriages don't last anyway....so just keep the original I guess. :D

I say change your name to take your husbands to even if symbolically show the union into his family......I am lucky as I have tradition on my side. ;)

Megan Black

I rocked whistler in a mini skirt and f$@* me boot
Jul 28, 2004
Beaver-town, OR
oh you are SO in trouble for that little comment!!!

hahaha! juuuuuust kidding little rhino! :D

RhinofromWA said:
I say change your name to take your husbands to even if symbolically show the union into his family......I am lucky as I have tradition on my side. ;)
I think everyone would agree that symbolically showing the union into a family is positive stuff but I think peeps are wondering maybe WHY giving up their own family name is considered tradition. And also, after she has shown her acknowledgement, how is the husband symbolically showing his union to his wife? Where's the exchange? And if it's something like, "well, he shows her by being a good husband" then why isn't being a good wife just as good of an acknowledgement?

I'm curious to know where this tradition came from, anyone know? When it comes down to the meat-and-potatoes of it, I'm unsure as to why it's the husband's family that is acknowledged/accepted and not the wifes.

Anyone know?? History peeps, where are you!

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
Megan Black said:
I'm curious to know where this tradition came from, anyone know? When it comes down to the meat-and-potatoes of it, I'm unsure as to why it's the husband's family that is acknowledged/accepted and not the wifes.

Anyone know?? History peeps, where are you!
I'll make a guess that it comes from the days of clans. If you become part of a clan you'd been know by the clan name...

Question in general for the "not taking" women - so if you do not take his name, then which name do your children use?

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
Slugman said:
I'll make a guess that it comes from the days of clans. If you become part of a clan you'd been know by the clan name...

Question in general for the "not taking" women - so if you do not take his name, then which name do your children use?
SIMPLE!!! Just don't have any!! I'm not having children anyways, so whatever name I use really has no impact on anyone. Yes, I know I'm going to get the "you'll want kids some day" crap, but really if you knew me, you wouldn't even try that. I'm a no kids gal. Zero praternal instinct. Babies cry and I cringe. Dave's the same way though, so all's good.

Velocity Girl

whack-a-mole
Sep 12, 2001
Atlanta
DH Diva said:
SIMPLE!!! Just don't have any!! I'm not having children anyways, so whatever name I use really has no impact on anyone. Yes, I know I'm going to get the "you'll want kids some day" crap, but really if you knew me, you wouldn't even try that. I'm a no kids gal. Zero praternal instinct. Babies cry and I cringe. Dave's the same way though, so all's good.

So nice to hear I'm not the only one who was born without maternal instincts!! And the older I get, the more my feelings are confirmed that I indeed was not meant to be a mother (other than a puppy mom that is :D )

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
DH Diva said:
Good choice! My wife and I are the same way - it's fun having a neice and a nephew, but we don't want any of our own!

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
DH Diva said:
ME TOO! I like babies....they're cute and so soft, but the minute they cry I'm done. It's not just babies, toddlers drive me crazy. I have had to leave the store because I was going to commit a crime against parents before. I was waiting some motherly instinct to come along, but after 31 years, nothing. Heck, I forget to feed the cat have the time!!!

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
Velocity Girl said:
(other than a puppy mom that is :D )
I'm very content being a puppy mom! I don't think I told you a Freak yet, but I adopted Indy a friend!! His names Giovanni (Gio for short). We've had him about a month now. He's a red brindle (wide stripe brindle), 3 years old, and just the sweetest little thing. I'll send some pictures! Indy and him get along great too. I started fostering him after his previous owner abandoned him at the adoption kennel, and after two days we decided to keep him.

allsk8sno

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
Bellingham, WA
haha tradition....we (rainbow_smoke) and i just got married and our wedding was far from traditional (www.spackman.ws), we had no true attendents and it was just us and the pastor...(and my sword) while i think most traditions are fated to fall the name change is really something the couple should share as a way of showing their union and such ... now as to who's name to take that is soley up to the couple and i think as long as they both agree whole heartedly on the same thing then it fine, be it his, hers, gobblygoop... that being said i didn't really like my last name alot growing up but i have grown into it and was happy she wanted to take my name but then it wasn't a big change for her...(www.spackman.ws)

grimm

Monkey
Jan 12, 2002
Sweden
Altho im not a "lady", i wanted to share my opinion on this.

I dont believe in marriage at all, since to me its only about a piece of paper and making legal stuff easier IF the relationship doesnt last. But that stuff can be sorted with a little effort anyhow

But to those who do believe in marriage, i dont see why you people should have to follow a certain norm, such as taking names etc. It is up to the people getting married to decide this between them. I dont see why a woman should take the man's name, or vice versa for that matter. Also i dont see the woman as the "pants wearer" if she doesnt wanna take the man's name. It doesnt make the slightest difference to me.

So to you the threadstarter all i have to say is do what you feel most comfortable with and what you agree on with your boyfriend. That, and only that, is what its about in my opinion. Good luck!

MudGrrl

AAAAH! Monkeys stole my math!
Mar 4, 2004
Boston....outside of it....
The first time I was engaged, he said that he was going to take my name.
He didn't.
We aren't together anymore.

I am now with someone who loves his family very much.
I will probably take his name......
but I want to figure out how my name will be represented...........I have a very Scottish last name, and am proud my ancestors. I am related to a Queen.

I may take his last name, but he's gonna wear my tartan/crest in the ceremony.
Fck the tux, wear the kilt.

And for the guys who would be really pissed if a chick doesn't take your name, I would venture a guess that you probably wouldn't pick up a gal who would think to do so.

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
couple of thoughts...

kids, if you are planning on having any - hypenated names are a little more of a pain to deal with than a single last name.

some traditions have the kids bearing the maiden name as a middle name, thinking of mudgrrls Scots heritage, that might be a good way to preserve it.

I took my hubbys name, just for simplicity sake.

geargrrl

MudGrrl

AAAAH! Monkeys stole my math!
Mar 4, 2004
Boston....outside of it....
geargrrl said:
some traditions have the kids bearing the maiden name as a middle name, thinking of mudgrrls Scots heritage, that might be a good way to preserve it.
My great grandmother was an only child. Her last name was Stewart. She married my great grandfather, last name Barker. They had one child, my grandfather. My grandfather had 4 girls.

My mother tried to keep the Stewart name in the family, so my brother is Nathan Stewart......

Yes, I like that idea.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
After reading this thread and thinking about this topic for a second i've come to the conclusion that when you get married both people are venturing forth in a new chapter in life of commitment and love. So then both should change their name to something new. Since i thought of this novel idea i propose everyone who marries change their last name to mine. Assface. And when you do i will only charge a nominal tribute fee of $5.
Case closed... next!