Quantcast

Today in Craigslist

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Whats up with the rear derailleur? Is that normal on a DH bike? I am no downhiller, but methinks it is a bit jacked up...
Dip**** put a longer than stock shock on it, and didn't lengthen the chain to compensate despite the increased chainstay length.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Dip**** put a longer than stock shock on it, and didn't lengthen the chain to compensate despite the increased chainstay length.
I love how the longer shock has given it a more AM rake on the front for more gnar.

<edit> It needs bar ends.

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I forget, one was the slalom, one was the DH. I liked the look of the slalom.
no, i remember now.

they had a f/s slalom bike, the prowler was a single pivot freeride ish bike, then they had the proline which was their dh race bike

proline:

prowler:

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
the prowler was actually its own frame, closer in size and geometry to their DS hardtail - i believe they referred to it as the prowler DS. it was i think a 4" bike while the regular prowler was 7"

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
no, i remember now.

they had a f/s slalom bike, the prowler was a single pivot freeride ish bike, then they had the proline which was their dh race bike

proline:

prowler:
Oh SNAP! Wow, I feel old. At least I remember something now. Was the hardtail a prowler, too then? I forget...

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
the hardtail was just called the "dual slalom". i have one sitting in my garage.
Forever ago there was one for sale on MTBR with some funky Judy dual crown fork or something. I ended up with an Azonic DS1 with dual 24" wheels and a Stratos FR4 fork. :fans: That bike was awesome.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Forever ago there was one for sale on MTBR with some funky Judy dual crown fork or something. I ended up with an Azonic DS1 with dual 24" wheels and a Stratos FR4 fork. :fans: That bike was awesome.
the DS hardtail was the one mountain bike that they got the geometry right. it's still a pretty rad bike, even by today's standards. although it wasn't without it's issues. the rear disc brake mount was rotated too far counter clockwise (if you're looking at the non drive side). because it has horizontal dropouts, that meant you had to take the brake caliper off to remove the rear wheel. also the rear end on mine was welded ever so slightly out of alignment

the geometry on the prowler freeride was pretty atrocious. the proline supposedly had much better geometry but was super flexy. so few of the prowler ds frames existed i never met anyone that rode one. so out of all the mtb frames they made, the ds hardtail was the only one they got (mostly) right, which i'm guessing is because they were primarily a bmx race company.