Quantcast

Toke up, hippies!

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Sales of recreational pot start at 8 this morning. Local news just showed hippies in Pueblo that have been lining up since 2:30 this morning. Can't say they aren't dedicated, ****ing cold outside.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
http://news.yahoo.com/national-review-marijuana-161920924.html

The prohibition of marijuana, its editors argue, has led to "billions in enforcement costs, and hundreds of thousands of arrests each year, in a fruitless attempt to control a mostly benign drug."

"We make a lot of criminals while preventing very little crime," the National Review writes, "and do a great deal of harm in the course of trying to prevent an activity that presents little if any harm in and of itself."

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
i have a bootleg copy of reefer madness & need to re-watch. don't even think i've seen tweakers portrayed as malevolently. if i'm to believe the naysayers, getting high will lead to all-night charleston-ing & over the poodle skirt action in the rumble seat

dark days lay ahead.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I was just reading that, f@ckers.

“The rapid changes in Colorado’s marijuana laws have caused many people across the state to re-evaluate their relationship with cannabis. Those who are curious about marijuana and plan to try it include people who have never used it, as well as those who smoked decades ago, before marriage and kids. They say they now plan to buy some marijuana because it's easy, convenient and legal.

But the continuing stigma surrounding marijuana use—not to mention the very real risks to their jobs—keeps many cannabis newcomers from stepping fully into the light. A 52-year-old man who plans to try pot for the first time didn’t want any part of his name published. ‘My hesitation comes from 50 years of negativity associated with drug use and concern about my name being in a news report,’ he wrote in an email.”

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
So some quick stoner math:
Lets say they average $500k in sales a week (I am lowballing, of course). That is $6.5M in annual revenue that has magically appeared from a puff of smoke.

I don't recall what California was looking to tax at, but I know they were talking as much as $100M in taxes.

Seems legit. I can't wait for the new pot related crime statistics to come out of this. :fans:

Last edited:

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
I can't wait for the new pot related crime statistics to come out of this.
there's already a rash of breakins & robberies of individuals, growhouses, and "pharmacies", and since this is a cash heavy industry, i expect it will at least spike until e-commerce regs get relaxed.

friend of mine has a security company in denver & is making fat stacks just for looking like a mexican Huell

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
i heard it's taxed at something like 20%.
specific to pot, it's 25%, which i think is just a hair below gas tax rate of 22%, but below the combined state/fed'l rate.
Measure AA, which just passed (unfortunately IMHO) says "no".

"Now, for marijuana, the first 15 percent is a tax on the wholesale from the grower to the retailer -- but our sense is that most of these operations will likely pass that on to the consumer. Then, the retailer will have to charge an additional 10 percent tax on top of all the regular taxes, and some local governments are adding another 5 percent on top of that. So marijuana consumers will effectively be paying 30-40 percent taxes on this product, and that amounts to a windfall for the legislature -- taxes that are two to three times the rate of alcohol."