Quantcast

Tomac and Honda (Gearbox bike)

Trekrules

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2007
Astro,Fezarri blah blah are knock offs of the 2:1 Mono frame with almost a 200mm shorter i2i shock.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Astro,Fezarri blah blah are knock offs of the 2:1 Mono frame with almost a 200mm shorter i2i shock.
They are a knock off of many bikes ;) Though their new bike looks strangely nice. I wonder If we will live to see the days that for regular riders catalog products would be enough for most riders(maybe not RM though ;) )

daisycutter

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2006
New York City
Tomac and Honda (Gearbox bike) DH bike makes sense as Tomac's DH bike is no longer in production. I expect a few more teasers for the next six months and something solid around sea otter time.

Last edited:

Pete..

Monkey
Feb 11, 2009
Santa Cruz
Remember last year there was a complete Honda bike and a Session 88 set up with the Showa suspension spotted at Whistler? Anyone ever actually find out what was going on with that?

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Remember last year there was a complete Honda bike and a Session 88 set up with the Showa suspension spotted at Whistler? Anyone ever actually find out what was going on with that?
i think the engineer said on here that they were doing testing before the Session 88 originally came out and that he knew someone with a RN01...(or something along those lines)

Trekrules

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2007
They are a knock off of many bikes ;) Though their new bike looks strangely nice.
I mean that the Astro and their copy frames done by many brands are based of the origional Foes bike;),they are known as the litle brother of the Foes with other leverage ratio & 240mm i2i shock instead of the big 420mm i2i shock that the Foes has.

troy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 3, 2008
I rode a Tomac all season and found it amazing? Better than my previous v10 and Sunday.
Dude, You are on RM. Your frame LOOKS similar to astro frame so it has to be pure s***
reasons:
It hazz no DW-linkZzZZz
needs MOAR antisquadzzz
haz no Sunday/ DHR sticker
doesn't come in rootbeer colorwayzzz

Who gives a s*** that it has different geo, suspension curve and tubeset? ;)

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Dude, You are on RM. Your frame LOOKS similar to astro frame so it has to be pure s***
reasons:
It hazz no DW-linkZzZZz
needs MOAR antisquadzzz
haz no Sunday/ DHR sticker
doesn't come in rootbeer colorwayzzz

Who gives a s*** that it has different geo, suspension curve and tubeset? ;)
Why so serious? In all seriousness, I know one guy who had a tomac and had mixed feelings about the bike. Seen some similar reviews over the net though some very positive too. Eventhough the hate is kinda harsh. People like to remember the negatives.

troy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 3, 2008
Sorry, forgot about [sarcasm][/sarcasm] tags at the beginning and at the end of my post :cheers:.

dhr-racer

Monkey
Jan 24, 2007
A, A
Why so serious? In all seriousness, I know one guy who had a tomac and had mixed feelings about the bike. Seen some similar reviews over the net though some very positive too. Eventhough the hate is kinda harsh. People like to remember the negatives.

because your not serious until your

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Hell has frozen over! Dood from Nebraska thinks he can do a better job of bringing a gearbox bike to production than the enginerds at Honda? Awesome.
it wasn't lack of engineering capabilities, manufacturing processes, etc that kept Honda from bringing the bike to market. They crunched the numbers and realized that there was no way they were going to sell enough bikes to turn a profit.

captainspauldin

intrigued by a pole
May 14, 2007
Jersey Shore
it wasn't lack of engineering capabilities, manufacturing processes, etc that kept Honda from bringing the bike to market. They crunched the numbers and realized that there was no way they were going to sell enough bikes to turn a profit.
Kinda makes me think Tomac's trip to Japan to visit honda is just a marketing ploy.. I mean we are talking about Tomac and Honda in the same sentence right?

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Exactly. My point being Honda did not do it for a reason. But this guy thinks he can do it? Awesome. Then do it. I'd love to see it.

An engineering student/racer built a derailer "in a box" like 3 years ago. I think the glamour of the "technology" has worn off a bit. I guess I'm way more over it than most people. If it was a better mouse trap I'd think we'd be seeing more of them. Or maybe not. Fack it.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Exactly. My point being Honda did not do it for a reason. But this guy thinks he can do it? Awesome. Then do it. I'd love to see it.
It's interesting to see the different approaches from a company outside the industry than within the bike industry.

An engineering student/racer built a derailer "in a box" like 3 years ago. I think the glamour of the "technology" has worn off a bit. I guess I'm way more over it than most people. If it was a better mouse trap I'd think we'd be seeing more of them. Or maybe not. Fack it.

Personally, I think that there are enough advantages of a DiaB, if done properly, over a traditional setup. Then again, if someone were to develop a true transmission that doesn't suck / works great, and doesn't cost an arm and a leg the game would change. Hell I'd love to have one on an xc bike!

But deep down I still really just wanna ride this bike.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
An engineering student/racer built a derailer "in a box" like 3 years ago. I think the glamour of the "technology" has worn off a bit.
theres nothing too "glamorous" about a dérailleur in a box or nothing too high tech. especially compared to a Rohloff or Nexus hub.
the d.i.a.b. is a pretty basic idea that works and is very cheap (comparatively)

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
theres nothing too "glamorous" about a dérailleur in a box or nothing too high tech. especially compared to a Rohloff or Nexus hub.
the d.i.a.b. is a pretty basic idea that works and is very cheap (comparatively)
one of the other things I like about the DiaB concept is that it seems it would be easier for the end user to service. Also, using stock components that are already readily available would make it more adjustable (cassettes to adjust your gearing).

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
one of the other things I like about the DiaB concept is that it seems it would be easier for the end user to service. Also, using stock components that are already readily available would make it more adjustable (cassettes to adjust your gearing).
Not to mention being in a box that will protect everything and more than likely extend the life of the parts because they are not exposed to the elements. No more ripping derailleurs off on rocks etc.

I am really excited to see what is to come from Tomac.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
thatd be a huge selling point for me.

are the Rohloff's and Nexus hubs "user" serviceable?

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
I think the broloffs are serviceable in that you change the oil once every two...but that's it.
yeah. a yearly (if that; dh bikes generally see relatively low milage) oil change is all they need. the beauty of the rohloff is that user serviceability seems to be a moot thing; they'll probably outlast most bikes w/o ever having to be opened up.

coming up on 4 years on mine, and it's been flawless. perfect shifting all the time regardless of conditions, w/ no adjustments (ie, shifting unaffected by cable stretch w/ hub indexing) and only a ~15min annual maintenance requirement - this is how all bike transmissions should be. i'm just stoked this bike is holding together; i'd rather not have to buy another derailleur based dh rig.

i'm a litte sceptical of derailleurs in a can for a few reasons - there will still need to be a bunch of proprietary bits in there, there's still adjustment & fine tuning requirements, and said tuning & the replacement of wearing bits (though there's no dirt contamination, you're still dragging a chain across cogs) will require cracking the case open, so there's an added labor component.

though i still think it's entirely within the realm of feasibility for one of the big guns to produce a burly, yet reasonably lightweight 7-8 spd 12mm through axle gearhub that could effectively eliminate the rd for big bike applications, and render the packaging headaches of gearboxes moot. selling mountains of dangly fragile rd's is a much better business model however.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
coming up on 4 years on mine, and it's been flawless. perfect shifting all the time regardless of conditions, w/ no adjustments (ie, shifting unaffected by cable stretch w/ hub indexing)
do the gears "click" into place or is it a smooth transition because of the indexing.

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
do the gears "click" into place or is it a smooth transition because of the indexing.
the gear engagement is smooth, but the indexing (the click you feel at the shifter) is in the hub rather than the shifter, so cable stretch or contamination doesn't affect shifting performance.

nice being able to shift w/o pedalling too. pre-select gears before a corner, or dump a handful quickly w/o having to grind out a too tall gear.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
nice being able to shift w/o pedalling too. pre-select gears before a corner, or dump a handful quickly w/o having to grind out a too tall gear.
that's exactly why i want a gearbox. Central unsprung mass is a bonus, pre-selecting gears mid-turn would be massively beneficial. Wrong gear before a drop? Switch mid-air. Bogged down in a turn? Right where you need to be.

Low maintenance is a bonus, but if you're really riding a $3k+ bike, minor maintenance (lube and cleaning) shouldn't be a big deal.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Another option: Rolhoff mounted as central gearbox, with Lawwill-esque suspension (from Eurobike 2010):
moar like LOLwut, amirite?

scary without a floater...looks seriously overbuilt a la 1999...could be amazing...but the photos say euro 2009, which suggests it might be outdated? Would be cool if it sees the light of day.

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
an impressive bit of metalwork for sure, but what is with germans & their penchant for gratuitous hardware, holes & cnc'ing? some serious editing in order there. ridonculously heavy & expensive to build i'm sure.

Last edited: