Quantcast

tonic fab 26er Howie

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
honestly that is the best looking 26" hardtail i have ever seen, i am very stoked on this bike...Hopefully production will get under way with it so I can buy one at soon. I was very happy with my TOP but this is rad enough to replace it...

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Yeah im glad about the IS thing as well, please keep to some standards on this bike, i know most guys will want to run disks/mountain shell cranks...I see he has saints or some other outboard bearing crank on there?

What is with the wrap around the seat? Are you hiding something from us?

Landon

Monkey
Oct 20, 2004
Howdy.

Thanks for the feedback about the bike.

The bandana is just a Guy Marsh style thing. It does hide a small detail specific to this frame which is an unslotted ST. Guy likes to run a Macneil "wedge" mod seatpost so why slot it?

His frame has a euro BB, but we've also got a couple Mids. My feeling is that most people buying this frame would prefer a Mid BB. Any feed back? I also orginally thought people would want to run V-brakes, but now, I'm not so sure.

Seat tube on this bike is 10" center to center. Pretty close to a Fall Guy.

L

ebrider510

Monkey
Dec 7, 2006
Bay Area, CA
dam that looks like a sick ride. so sick....never thought i'd see this from tonic but im glad we have.

about the mid or euro BB question...a mid BB would be awesome considering you could run tons of different BMX cranks on it. i guess they do make some 3p Chromo cranks with a Euro BB but the mid is a very cool idea. BMX cranks are a lot cheaper most of the time as well so this could be a big plus in my book.

V-brakes or disc? i love V-brakes because they are super simple and even the cheapest ones have decent power. they are also a lot cheaper in general..maybe make it capable of running either? lots of people do like running disc's so it could be a draw back to some. also you can run any rim you want with disc which is nice..

just my opinions...im sure you already knew all this info but mite help a slight bit

opjones

Monkey
Aug 17, 2006
Detroit
Any feed back? I also orginally thought people would want to run V-brakes, but now, I'm not so sure.

That's a tuffy for sure, I think you'll get 50/50 feedback on that. I personally have ran both on my P and I love the stopping power of the Disc all the time, I don't have to mess with adjustments as much as with V's, and when i ride street and get wet, we all know the brakes aren't as good.

But some peeps will live with what I don't like.

so my vote would be just Disc.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
The mid should work but PLEASE make sure this has disk tabs, i can see the 24 not having them but on the 26 i think it would be crazy not to have them there. That alone would shy me away from buying this bike...

Landon

Monkey
Oct 20, 2004
manhattanprjkt83 :

It's definately going to be a 135/10mm axle/disc brake bike. It rains a lot in Oregon, but those aren't fender tabs on the DO.

I think a euro or mid BB option makes sense, but that's probably it.

L

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
I think a euro or mid BB option makes sense, but that's probably it.

L
I'd say Spanish or Mid. Screw euro and those dinky bearings, especially now that more and more bmx cranks are coming with 22mm spindles.

Good looking bike. Actually looks a lot like my Simple... sans the Tonic seat stay.

jtdcg

Chimp
Aug 15, 2004
NH
New 26" looks great, look forward to seeing and hearing more.

As a slight side note has anyone else noticed when you google tonic fab it give the website up as "this site may harm your computer" and links you to all sort of badware warnings? Anyone that could shed some light would be great. I doubt tonicfab wants that tag.

BikeSATORI

Monkey
Apr 13, 2007
one world...
I'm likin' what I'm seein'! Very smooth, very clean!
I never expected a 26'er from Tonic either, but same thing about USB. The market's there, the demand exists.... apparently enough to change hard opinions and ideas. progression continues.

Go Mid bb for sure.

but, wonder about 14mm X135 rear, or just 10mm X 135...

anyword on geo ideas yet?? 1 size fits all again? I'm guessing a guy marsh style set-up would be too large for me though.

didn't realize guy was on rst space now. I'm digging the new colors from atomlab, wish those rims were available though.

sorry for the sidetrack here...
that eastern front is a cool blog too... anyone have any idea how to contact that guy? He asks where that wallride is located and says, "let me know", but there is no way to let him know. It's near Detroit. was in a props vid, and that kid who bashed his teeth out... oh man.

sokoloka

Monkey
Sep 14, 2005
San Diego / London
sorry for the sidetrack here...
that eastern front is a cool blog too... anyone have any idea how to contact that guy? He asks where that wallride is located and says, "let me know", but there is no way to let him know. It's near Detroit. was in a props vid, and that kid who bashed his teeth out... oh man.
It's Ryan Denehy - I'll PM you his email address.

stinky6

Monkey
Dec 24, 2004
Monroe
"didn't realize guy was on rst space now. I'm digging the new colors from atomlab, wish those rims were available though."

Guy most likely rattle-canned the rims. Guy would probably change the color of is bike on a weekly basis if he could.

Landon

Monkey
Oct 20, 2004
BikeSatori:

I'm glad you like the way the Howie looks, thanks. As for sizing, I think it'll be a one-size-fits-most bike for a while. I think the size of the bike was what I was immediately stoked on when I rode it. It's a 1/4" longer front end than a Fall Guy, and it just feels really good. It has the same amount of tire/toe clearance as a Fall Guy, so you can ride 175's and still have decent X-up clearance.

Guy's bike set-up is pretty normal. Medium rise bars, one or no stem spacers, and a low seat. Guy's not particularly tall (5-9-ish) and started blazing on the bike immediately. He has always ridden "longer" bikes though. Still, one of the worst things about these bikes is that very few people have a chance to ride them before they buy.

The Howie is definately going to be a 10x135 disc brake bike. I really like 14mm axles (and I don't ride pegs), but I couldn't even name a single manufacturer of a 14x135 hub. I want this bike to be as easy as possible for people to build up, and avoiding non-mainstream standards goes a long way to achieving this. If you want to run a 14mm BMX hub with 26" wheels, the Union Street Working Class Hero looks like a good choice.

Yeah, Guy did paint his rims..although Atomlab does have some new colors coming out, this isn't one of them.

-L

Landon

Monkey
Oct 20, 2004
nugget:

The Howie is very light. Tiny dropouts, a very refined CS yoke, a compact frame, and some different tubing have really brought the weight down without sacrificing strength (in theory.) No rocket science, just refinements.

Testing is the main bottle neck getting this bike to market. It won't be released untill it's proven. Still in the prototype stage, but production bikes will be available late summer if things go according to plan.

For that matter, we have a batch of Fall Guys pretty much done, so if anyone is interested, contact me with a color choice.

-L

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
So landon, we know this is in the prototype stages but what price point can we expect this bad boy to come in at? Just an estimate?

opjones

Monkey
Aug 17, 2006
Detroit
Landon posted these up on his blog today.

nice tight, clean, low weight drop out/disc mount.

Am I seeing a Euro BB? It looks like a threaded cup on the far side

Landon wasn't kidding about the rear tire clearance

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
that is look'en so rad,........ love the simplicity.

not much axle adj, don't need it everyone runs slammed.

still trademark seatstay tweek @ drop out.

no extra material anywear.

IS headset.

love it!

Landon

Monkey
Oct 20, 2004
Landon wasn't kidding about the rear tire clearance
Plenty of clearance side-to-side. The 2.4 Maxxis bottoms out on the seat tube. Do I need to mention the bike has short chain stays?

God that thing is hot.
Thanks. It's just a short list of people who have them, but so far people really like their Howies.

BikeSATORI

Monkey
Apr 13, 2007
one world...
like OPJones pointed out, I really really hope that is not a euro bb shell... I have some fly cups to cure that, but I'd rather not and just go with the simplicity and strength of a mid or spanish...

SB8 looks smooth on that too.

Landon

Monkey
Oct 20, 2004
It does look sick. What's the BB height? Looks low.
It does look low in that photo. I think that's because of my brilliant photography. Notice how "level" the work bench is?
The bike has 1" of BB drop, with an 80mm fork, so it's the same BB height as a Fall Guy..12.5 to 12.75 depending on tires. Cru, I noticed your Simple (which looks really amazing) has very little, or no BB drop. BB height was a detail I wasn't so sure about with the Howie. I can see advantages to both higher and lower BBs. BB drop is one of the biggest differences between the Howie and the Fall Guy. I don't believe there's a definitive "right" answer. So far, riders have really liked the Howie's geometry, so we'll stick with this BB height for the moment.

no extra material anywear.
It's hard to see, but the chainstay yoke is a 1/4# lighter than the Fall Guy. No revolutions, but a lot of little refinements.

I prefer Mid BB's.
Me too. We'll offer a euro, but most will be Mid bikes. The frame below is Mid. I doubt we'll offer one which can easily accept gears.

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
Looks really nice - super clean build and lines.

Slightly OT questions - how do you like the Small Block Tires? And what size are those? 2.35 front and rear?

Landon

Monkey
Oct 20, 2004
Don:

I haven't ridden the Small Block tires. Paul (the bike's owner) l rides trails pretty much exclusively, and really likes them. He's running the 2.35" size.

L

L