Quantcast

Totally Awesomo Weekend

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
Wow, the weather this weekend was AWESOME. Cool temperatures made for awesome riding. I got to hit the Shed and go on a 3 hour ride at Patapsco this morning. Did anyone else take advantage of this beautiful weekend? If so, what did you do?

aggrorider

Monkey
Sep 20, 2005
IT RAINED HERE ALL WEEKEND LONG!!!!!!!!NOW WE ARE FLOODED TO NO END!!!!!!! :mumble:

glad you had fun though :thumb:

corey_rideDC

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
DCmetro
i lost my kitchen pass to the shed today, so i went to wakefield skatepark for a bit. 45 minutes in, i broke my freewheel. pissed, i went home, grabbed the big bike and spent 2 hours practicing beating my dog down the slalom course. he kills me outta the gate, but i get him on the big stuff :D

May 24, 2005
Baltimore
I rode 2 miles to my buddy's house to watch football today and drink beer and eat pizza. Then rode 2 miles back home after he didn't have any plywood or cinder blocks to make some sweet jumps out front of his house. :(

ThePriceSeliger

Mushhead
Mar 31, 2004
Denver, Colorado
I got crunk at my sisters friends birthday party. Football is canceled for a while, out field is flooded like a lake. We went kyaking(sp?) on them tonight. No riding though. Still can't get my BB out.

Transfer

Monkey
Jan 23, 2004
Seattle, WA
I worked saturday. Sunday I drove out to Elizabeth Furnace for the first time, parked in the wrong place and consequently rode the wrong trail (which was pretty sucky). On the way out I found the right trail but had no time to ride at that point. Drove an hour and a half each way and missed the trail. :(
At least I got out of DC for a day.

Stiff

Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Miss Washington DC
Sat - Whale and I pedalled 5 hours at Elizabethe Furnace. Up westside Shaw across BUzzard Rock (aka Yoga Deathmatch), up eastside Shaw, down Swestside Shaw. Really a great rocky coursing but singlering powered 2.7 tires made it a little tougher than it shoule be.

Sun - Rested the legs and worked the arms shuttling DH.

May 24, 2005
Baltimore
Oh and I spent a good part of Saturday pondering which big bike I would get for next season. I now have it narrowed to the Norco A-Line, Norco Shore Two, Spesh SX Trail I, or just say screw it all and get a Stinky (or a Stab).

Bah. Can't decide if I should go big bike or medium-big bike.

BussaFrame

Monkey
Apr 19, 2005
HotButterToppin said:
Oh and I spent a good part of Saturday pondering which big bike I would get for next season. I now have it narrowed to the Norco A-Line, Norco Shore Two, Spesh SX Trail I, or just say screw it all and get a Stinky (or a Stab).

I'm debating the same thing over here. I'm not sure which will win out though.

I spent a few hours saturday at the shed. The worked the floor at the shop sunday. Oh and watched some football both days.

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
HotButterToppin said:

Specialized SX trail or the Big Hit 3.

My good weekend just came crashing to an end. In football, we are 3-2 and the team we were about to play is 5-0. We were supposed to play them Friday but it got re-scheduled for Monday (Today). We are actually a better team then they are, we have just not played up to our potential. Well tonight we played our asses of and came up short 22-19. Not fun at all man. They usually beat every team out by at least 40. So we played awesome, but it was just too close. I hate games like that.

Oh well, now our chances of getting in the Play-offs are slim. We need a lot to happen to make it there. Hopefully next weekend will be a little better. And I mean the whole weekend, like Friday through Monday. Haha.

May 24, 2005
Baltimore
I was really considering the BigHit 3 until I saw how much it'll cost ($2800 as I doubt Princeton is gonna cut me any deals). And for the same money the A-Line is a lot better spec'd (better MTX wheels, better VF2 888 fork, 9" rear). But it's such a beast I wonder if it'll be any good for the more tech riding at the Shed...which is why I'm still considering singlecrown fork bikes like the SXT and new Norco Shore bikes.

The big gripe is that I doubt anyone local will have any of the bikes for a test ride with the exception of the Kona which I can get a weekend demo on from Proteus. I think the only Norco dealer is in friggin Philly too. BAH!!

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
Yea finding a Norco isnt going to be easy. But it might not be as hard as your think. I believe that the SX Trail line is a series now too. So they have multiple bikes.

Could I recommend one more. I know a lot of people are biased towards Cannondale, but have you thought of the Gemini. We have a 2004 Large Gemini 900 with a Sherman Firefly and is very well spec'd, all for $1980. It was origianlly $2200. And I am sure they are willing to drop the price a little seeing how long it has been there.

You realize that when you buy a big bike, now you have to do big drops. Haha. I took my Prophet up to the Shed and has a lot of fun with it. Higher BB height and the Full suspension made my ride sweet. We have got to ride up there again, we found this sweet off trail on the drop trails that takes you to a pond. I am sure someone has been on it, buts its cool.

May 24, 2005
Baltimore
I'm not a big Cracknfail fan. Nor a fan of singlepivots. Not that there's anything wrong with them, and I'm sure plenty of people on them can out-ride me with ease, but I just don't want one.

Yeah I've been to that section. Very cool stuff. Sadly that was also the day my damn grips came off and I wasn't about to do step-downs holding onto my handlebars directly. Heh heh.

I did a couple drops up at SS on my rental Stinky. It was quite a bit smoother than on a hardtail which goes without saying. Though it worked best while the shock had 200psi in it and that only lasted about an hour after each pumping (damn leaky-shocked rentals!). But yeah, with a bike with 8/9" front/back I'm pretty obligated to huck myself off stuff.

I'm pretty annoyed with Spesh this year as they seem to have spec'd all their bikes with the VF model 06 forks instead of VF2 which at least gives you external rebound/compression adjustment. The VF OEM models all use the 2005 SSVF innards instead of the updated 2006 VF innards. So the SXT that's $3000 is the same 66 that comes on the $2500 Norco. For reference, the cheapest Demo is $3800 and has the same fork as the $2800 A-Line. Laaaaaaaaame.

whale

Monkey
Apr 23, 2004
Silver Spring, MD
Stiff said:
Sat - Whale and I pedalled 5 hours at Elizabethe Furnace. Up westside Shaw across BUzzard Rock (aka Yoga Deathmatch), up eastside Shaw, down Swestside Shaw. Really a great rocky coursing but singlering powered 2.7 tires made it a little tougher than it shoule be.

Sun - Rested the legs and worked the arms shuttling DH.
EF riding was great on saturday... suckas. too bad my thumb was too swelled up to ride on sunday, i would have liked to have joined y'all.

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
HotButterToppin said:
I'm not a big Cracknfail fan. Nor a fan of singlepivots. Not that there's anything wrong with them, and I'm sure plenty of people on them can out-ride me with ease, but I just don't want one.

Yeah I've been to that section. Very cool stuff. Sadly that was also the day my damn grips came off and I wasn't about to do step-downs holding onto my handlebars directly. Heh heh.

I did a couple drops up at SS on my rental Stinky. It was quite a bit smoother than on a hardtail which goes without saying. Though it worked best while the shock had 200psi in it and that only lasted about an hour after each pumping (damn leaky-shocked rentals!). But yeah, with a bike with 8/9" front/back I'm pretty obligated to huck myself off stuff.

I'm pretty annoyed with Spesh this year as they seem to have spec'd all their bikes with the VF model 06 forks instead of VF2 which at least gives you external rebound/compression adjustment. The VF OEM models all use the 2005 SSVF innards instead of the updated 2006 VF innards. So the SXT that's $3000 is the same 66 that comes on the $2500 Norco. For reference, the cheapest Demo is $3800 and has the same fork as the $2800 A-Line. Laaaaaaaaame.
Hey Hey Hey, dont be hating on the Cannondales.

True about that price of everything. Im not really sure on this one, but my friend had a Norco VPS Shore I believe and the thing was like a tin can. Or at least it sounded like it when you knocked on it. So I am just saying that sure the price might be better, but is the frame the same quality as the Specialized is and what kind of warrenty does Norco have? I know Specialized will basically replace anything. That is just my opinion and also I dont really know a lot about Norco seeing as they are in Canada. But for the price that Norco sounds pretty sweet. But I would def. ride one before you go out spending cash like that.

bballboy388

Monkey
Dec 4, 2004
what about ironhorse just to throw that out there there new 7point 7 looks sweet and durable its not a single piviot i just donno how much it is u can look at it if u go to there website and click on 06 cataloge

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
bballboy388 said:
What about Ironhorse? Just to throw that out there. They're new 7point 7 looks sweet and durable. Its not a single piviot. I just don't know how much it is. You can look at it if you go to they're website (www.ironhorsebikes.com) and click on the 2006 cataloge.
There, I fixed it for you Greg. Always looking out for a brother.

May 24, 2005
Baltimore
Yeah the Iron Horse bikes are making it onto my list. The 7point bikes are supposed to ride quite nice and for 06 they actually come with decent forks (Marz 66s). So yeah they're on there just as soon as I find out how much they cost.

The Norco is indeed rattley from what I've heard from others. That sounds a bit annoying to say the least. I do hear they are heavy and bombproof though. The warranty isn't a Specialized warranty either, which is a drag. And then there's saying the hell with all of it and buying a Spesh Demo 8. Hehe.

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
Demo 8? If you were ganna do that I would say just get a big hit. Might be a little more friendly with the pedaling thing. Its up to you though man. I would say by a Specialized, Kona, Iron Horse, or a nice Santa Cruz if you can find one. I am sure Don from Fleet Street would hook you up.

bballboy388

Monkey
Dec 4, 2004
hey hey hey if the man wants a demo 8 let the man have a demo 8(as long as i can ride it around the parking lot) :)

May 24, 2005
Baltimore
Oh yeah, sign me right up for that. In fact, screw this big bike thing just sell me your Ruckus! Clearly it works great for DH....unless I skid out and fall on my face in the last corner. ;)

If Princeton can hook me up with a decent price on the Big Hit I may still get a Specialized. Who cares about pedalling though? I mean honestly, I pedalled the, by all accounts, crappy-pedalling Stinky around SS for a weekend and really didn't mind it. So anything better than that is fine with me. Plus, downhill bike and pedalling efficiency aren't really that tied together. So long as the freewheel hooks up for wheelie drops it'll be fine.

I forgot Fleet sold Santacruz. A VPFree would be pretty pimp, though probably pretty pricey. I'll give Donald a ring.

If all else fails I'll just buy the SX Trail 1 and be resigned to only doing 30' 360 roadgaps like Bearclaw on my midsize-bike. ;)

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
Hahahaha. I am sure you could take to the guys at Princeton.

Yea I have got to make a stop by Fleet Street one day and see some SC in person and up close. Haha.

The SX Trail would be bad ass man. Go for it.

May 24, 2005
Baltimore
Thrown in the towel? He was alive and well the last time I was there a month ago, so if it went tits-up then it has to have been recently. Which is odd really, because every time I've been in there in the past 6 months he's had several customers.

Ryan, he doesn't stock a big range of bikes in the showroom so chances are he might have a 4x but that's about it from SC. Worth a call though.

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
Yea but what he doesnt have on the floor, he could probably order since he sells Santa Cruz. Its worth a try, if not I see a Big Hit 3 in your future seeing as it is cheaper then the SX Trail I believe.

VDfree

Monkey
Feb 18, 2005
germantown
Wow, word travels fast. Donald just found out last week that his building was getting sold. He was pretty bumbed and was talking about leaving the bike industry. Anyone who knows Donald knows that he is addicted to bikes and that would be a depressing thought. Wait and see, we are going to see good things come out of this crappy situation...stay tuned!

May 24, 2005
Baltimore
Ah man, that's a drag. Think I'll swing by and see what's up this weekend.

Ryan, do you know what the policy is for part swaps when you buy a new bike (particularlly forks)? The Big Hit 3's low end 888 VF would be swapped for a 888RC2X (or at least a VF2) before I bought it and I'm wondering if they would do some sort of discount based on the value of the OEM fork. Otherwise the more I think about it the better the Norco looks, even if it's a TON of bike, travel and weight-wise. Just can't seem to find a bike better spec'ed and capable for the money.

VPFree would be nice but just too expensive with a decent spec. Driving up to NYC to buy a Norco is gonna suck though.

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
Man that sucks to hear that Don might leave the biking industry. He is one of the coolest guys I have ever met.

Alec, are you talking about directly from Specialized or from the shop when the bike arrives. I am not sure about that one. I would think Specialized might do something like that but afterall they arent exactly a "custom" bike company. You might be better to buy the Big Hit instead of the Norco as far as the whole driving/warrenty thing, and just sell the 888 VF when it comes then buy a fork of your choice. You might get more money out of it that way. But it would be worth a try to ask about the fork swap discount.

And about the whole driving up to NYC thing for a bike, someone told me this saying but I can really remember it well. Its about buying a bike and having a good bike shop to stand behind you. I mean of course if you buy a bike in the local area you have a better chance of getting parts for it quicker and maybe even getting free labor done if you become good friends with the shop. Buying local def. has so advantages.