Quantcast

Trail Maint. equipment.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
In the past some people have posted some interesting tools on here for working on trails.

I may try to find my grandpa's WWII fox hole digging shovel/pick to bring with me, is there any similar type portable tools you use?

I'm looking for something I could squeeze in a backpack.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
stosh said:
In the past some people have posted some interesting tools on here for working on trails.

I may try to find my grandpa's WWII fox hole digging shovel/pick to bring with me, is there any similar type portable tools you use?

I'm looking for something I could squeeze in a backpack.
A small handsaw and a pair of hand pruners.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
stosh said:
What do you do to repair washouts and such?
A pulaski and a mcleod.

For major trail repairs, the tools you need aren't going to easily get stuffed in a backpack.

If you are going to drain mudholes and light work your entrenching tool will work fine.

But the most important tool is knowledge and experience, a book like this http://www.imba.com/resources/trail_building/trail_solutions.html can be very useful.

J

JRB

If it's repairing a washout and you are gonna ride in, you might need a BOB trailer. When I carry tools, it's a saw and loppers. They do make a mini pulaski that would strap on, but I'd be super duper careful riding with it. A military shovel would be cool.

And yes - I am making fun of your Polish heritage.

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
OK......first off, good on ya for wanting to give back. That rocks!

If you are specifically tailoring a ride in order to do some trail maintainence, then you need to know that you're going to have to sacrifice some portability in exchange for tools that are going to get the job done in an allotment of time that makes it worth your while to be there. For example, if you're packing in a teeny shovel to that granite/rootball type of trail you guys ride a lot of, then it's the equivalent of a knife-to-a-gunfight scenario. Take a day to abandon the bike, carry in a maddox, a spade-shovel, and a rake and go to town on a few "trouble spots" that you mentally bookmark on previous rides.

But, if it's just light foliage trimming that you seek to do on a ride, I would hop down to Lowes and pick up a Fiskars axe or a folding saw. In my experience, Fiskars-brand tools are some of the best for trailbuilding and maintainence. Their axe is very light and very sharp and makes a good fit into a Camelback. It comes with a case that fits over the blade to keep it from ripping your pack. Their folding saw is another fantastic tool that fits well into backpacks. You'd be surprised at the diameter of limbs you can go through like warm butter with one of those. I've found that the "traditional" trailbuilding tools (Pulaski/McCleod) are too cumbersome to lay across your bars and try to ride through tight singletrack. To me, a mattox with the composite handle, an axe, and a rake are the holy trinity of tools that work well for around our area(which is very similar to yours).

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Greyhound said:
OK......first off, good on ya for wanting to give back. That rocks!

If you are specifically tailoring a ride in order to do some trail maintainence, then you need to know that you're going to have to sacrifice some portability in exchange for tools that are going to get the job done in an allotment of time that makes it worth your while to be there. For example, if you're packing in a teeny shovel to that granite/rootball type of trail you guys ride a lot of, then it's the equivalent of a knife-to-a-gunfight scenario. Take a day to abandon the bike, carry in a maddox, a spade-shovel, and a rake and go to town on a few "trouble spots" that you mentally bookmark on previous rides.

But, if it's just light foliage trimming that you seek to do on a ride, I would hop down to Lowes and pick up a Fiskars axe or a folding saw. In my experience, Fiskars-brand tools are some of the best for trailbuilding and maintainence. Their axe is very light and very sharp and makes a good fit into a Camelback. It comes with a case that fits over the blade to keep it from ripping your pack. Their folding saw is another fantastic tool that fits well into backpacks. You'd be surprised at the diameter of limbs you can go through like warm butter with one of those. I've found that the "traditional" trailbuilding tools (Pulaski/McCleod) are too cumbersome to lay across your bars and try to ride through tight singletrack. To me, a mattox with the composite handle, an axe, and a rake are the holy trinity of tools that work well for around our area(which is very similar to yours).
Ok it looks like this is going to be costly....

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
You need a few of these...

And some of these...

I'm sure those can fit in your Camelback... ;)

J

JRB

Does that cardboard get smashed up when you whack rocks with that thing???

Are those pick mattocks there???

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
It's not that big of a deal to just walk a few miles with tools over your shoulder. Having the right tool for the job without making compromises because something doesn't fit in your spandex is worth a little hoofing.

Some tools have removable heads too so it's easier to put in a pack. Whining about bringing a mcleod or pulaski on your bike is silly. Those things were designed for fire crews that drag them out to BFE on a regular basis.

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
loco said:
Does that cardboard get smashed up when you whack rocks with that thing???

Are those pick mattocks there???
Its a new kind of space age carboard we're using... about twice the strenght of regular cardboard...

Pulaskis and McLeods

J

JRB

Jozz said:
Its a new kind of space age carboard we're using... about twice the strenght of regular cardboard...

Pulaskis and McLeods
Now that I have compared them to the shovel, yeah I should've known those were pulaskis.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
stosh said:
Yeah I know... I'm Mr. Cheap'o though.
;) I didn't know you could get it through Amazon, etc. I thought it was only available through the IMBA Site.

As for tools in our packs, we have these:
Fiskars Anvil style Small Hand Pruner:

Fiskars folding Saw:

We also have the Fiskars Loppers and a small folding shovel

For bigger jobs, we use a large crowbar, pulaski, etc.

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
geargrrl said:
the farthest we had to do once was two miles and that kind of sucked - the rangers forgot to unlock the gate that date. Normally, 1/2 mile or less.
A BOB trailer is nice for those longer missions.

Mike

SilentJ

trail builder
Jun 17, 2002
Calgary AB
johnbryanpeters said:
That said, a McLeod would be my choice for general trail surface work.

J
:stupid:
We have the ones where you can take the head off, pack it in your pack, tape the handle to your seatpost & over your bars and youre good to go to ride in and out. As an added bonus, it makes jousting much easier!

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
TreeSaw said:
;) I didn't know you could get it through Amazon, etc. I thought it was only available through the IMBA Site.

As for tools in our packs, we have these:
Fiskars Anvil style Small Hand Pruner:

Fiskars folding Saw:
That is exactly what I'm talking about it. With a small shovel to clean out drainage on mud holes you can get a lot of work done quick.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Awesome help guys thanks!!!

I will be one of the very few people maintaining the trails I ride. Any suggestions on moving heavy rocks and large logs?