Quantcast

Trail storys

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
Now companies like 661, rockgrden, etc. need to start making trail trap protection, like a piece of plastic that would connect from your helmet to your chest armor. Oh, we wouldn't be able to turn our heads w/o some contraption.

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
hey what is the best way to fix a pinch flat, if your not prepared. This weekend i was riding and my friend got a pinch flat. We did not have a tube, patch kit, or pump that would work with his bike, and this trail is rocky (cold springs) so there is no way he is going to ride it on a flat (hardly no sidewall) tire all the way down the next 4 or so miles. I told him to fill his tire with sand and leaves is this the best thing to do?

black noise

Turbo Monkey
Dec 31, 2004
Santa Cruz
I wouldn't reccomend putting sand in the tire and then riding it, that seems like it would be very corrosive and damage the tire and rim, not to mention it would spill out quickly. And leaves won't work unless you can pack 50 lbs worth into the tire.

The best way to solve your problem is to carry a tire, pump, tire irons, and any allen wrenches if you have a thru-axle. If this is too much hassle (which it is for me) you can just run heavier tires and tubes.

If you're not prepared? Be good at wheelies maybe. I did that at Mammoth. When my front tire popped (kevlar beaded Kendas won't save you from rocks) I had to ride down the service road from halfway up the mtn. I just leaned back really, really far and watched out for rocks. My rim and tire are fine now.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
zmtber- that is a stupid excuse, your friend dh sb rider has rides w/ a huge backpack ( there is plenty of room for the right tools), just get a small pump, a tube, tire levers, and an adapter for the pump if needed.

When I go on rides, I always take my camelback mini mule. It is small, but can easily hold those tools, gloves, goggles, and other tools w/ enough room for the water container.

zmtber, you completely derailed your own thread, haha

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
i am not talking about dh sb rider i have other friends you know, his name is sean (not from vp) he is the one filming our team video.

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
o yeah and talking about flats on trails at bad times is a trail story i am sure others have other storys like it, in which they had to walk/carry thier bike down a long trail.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
Its not hard, its a small pump (or even CO2 cartridges and valve thing), a tube, and tire levers.

You don't carry these. These are the basic, first tools you should have. A flat is usually common thought of thing, before something breaks.

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
im going tubless i dont have to worry about that as much, but the reason why there was a flat was previously stated i was prepared my friend (not dh sb rider)was not

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
Well,tell him to carry to tools. I am sicking with a tube setup because it is easy to fix.I don't have to worry about a sealant and all that crap.

HERE IS A TIP: While your bike is running tubes right now, put alot above baby powder allover the inside of the tire and around the tube. Since I have been doing this, the last pich flat or basic flat even was a year ago.

DH SB RIDER

Monkey
Aug 31, 2005
Santa Barbara
Hey Patrick......zac has (belive it or not) other friends then me...... I just carry a big backpack for me and i have all the right tools to fix my own stuff. So please stay in the vally, and dont ever go over the pass, or you will be shot. Thanks

DH SB RIDER

Monkey
Aug 31, 2005
Santa Barbara
Ya my favortie story was when i was going down Cold Springs and we wouldent let any of the fast guys go past us(Trevor, Matt, Evan, Juilan) so the entire lower section of Cold Springs was really boring for them......Which was are plan.(They were waiting at the fire road for us and we just dident look at them we jsut went past them straight into the lower single track.) Then some 369 pound dude shot outa no were and he was riding this stinky dee-lux, dhx air, rockgardn armor, zoke decals up-side-down, ya he was so big i thought he was a bear......so i fell off a cliff.

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
wow dh sb rider you are what gives the rest of us sb riders a bad rep now go to pinkbike.com we don't want you here