Quantcast

Trail Tools

Because I'm not gonna dork up my sweet steed putting a rack for a MFing CHAINSAW on it? Duh.

It's hard enough pedalling with a hoe, plenty of water, a big hat and a folding saw. Taking a chainsaw in would save hours but I just can't be stuffed.

Also, technically you're still pedalling that thing - it just lets you carry a lot more stuff without blowing your knees on the first hill.
At summat past 70, I happily haul a chain saw, fuel and oil, wedges, hatchet, a McLeod, and various other implements of destruction on a Bob trailer without noticeably blowing out my knees.

Suck it up, princess! :D

JustMtnB44

Monkey
Sep 13, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Bump

Does anyone have any experience with ordering from Ben Meadows ? Never heard of them, but they have good prices and the best deals on shipping. This would be about $30 cheaper than Rogue's site.

https://www.benmeadows.com/rogue-hoe-70hr-rakes_37325203/?selectedsku=220435
I just ordered one of those and several other Rogue hoe tools direct from the manufacturer at http://www.prohoe.com/. Their pricing is better than Roguehoe.com, and other vendors like Ben Meadows don't carry the full selection of tools. Score on the free shipping though.

I picked up one of these as well, it's crazy sharp on both ends and cuts really well, but won't replace my 70H as most commonly used hoe.

I guess that we might mention in context that Silkys are not cheap. I think I paid $90 for my Big Boy some years back, and get a replacement blade every year or so for maybe half that.

But sumbitch, does it cut.
I picked up a Silky Ultra Accel based on the thread from a few weeks ago, it is so much sharper and faster cutting than any other folding saw I have owned I wish I had bought one sooner.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I picked up a Silky Ultra Accel based on the thread from a few weeks ago, it is so much sharper and faster cutting than any other folding saw I have owned I wish I had bought one sooner.
Yep. I got the GOM BOY (already labelled the Gay Boy by my riding mates) and gave it a workout yesterday clearing fallen Acacia trees from Cyclone Debbie a couple weeks ago. Best saw I've used by far. Amazing to see the cut ends of the wood looking like a power tool had been used rather than a hand saw.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
At summat past 70, I happily haul a chain saw, fuel and oil, wedges, hatchet, a McLeod, and various other implements of destruction on a Bob trailer without noticeably blowing out my knees.

Suck it up, princess! :D
Well la-di-da, Mr I-enjoy-pedalling :D

Ok fine, I've been outvoted. I'll slink back into my refuge of laziness....

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Roge Hoe got delivered just in time for the three days of torrential rain. The handle was a little rough so I stripped off the original varnish, sanded, and applying 4-5 coats of water based polyurethane.

This thing is seriously sharp for a digging tool. It's like an axe that's ok with hitting dirt. Definitely will not attempt to ride with this thing.

JustMtnB44

Monkey
Sep 13, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
This thing is seriously sharp for a digging tool. It's like an axe that's ok with hitting dirt. Definitely will not attempt to ride with this thing.
Yep. The 55XHX I posted a picture of was almost too sharp for some projects, it cuts so well. The factory edge is best, it gets hard to keep it as sharp after a while. If your soil is rocky it will get chewed up quickly, but a grinder and file can bring it back.

I came across these guys when I was searching for Rogue Hoe vendors. Many tools are the same concept as Rogue but with replaceable heads, this also allows them to use a different material for the head. More expensive though, but they also have some larger options than Rogue hoe if you have lots of dirt to move.
http://jrfiretools.com/?product-category=tools

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
I've been watching Amazon for several weeks for the price to drop on the Silky Katanaboy. It was up to $197, but late Saturday night it dropped to $95 and I hit the clicker.

Got it today and took it out for some testing. It's a badass saw for sure. Dwarfs the BigBoy and the teeth are huge in comparison. Cuts much faster, but still requires some effort. Although I only cut dead hardwoods, softer pines might be easier. Definitely worth $95.