Quantcast

trailforks is now a paid* app

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

$1.50 / month if you sign up now until end of september. $3/month after that.

*there will still be a free version but will be limited to a "home" area. this is kind of a bummer, because i use the app primarily when i am traveling to new locations and find new trails elsewhere.

discuss.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I used REI's MTB Project application when traveling to Utah with good success. It will only cover 'official' trails, which is fine by me, strangers shouldn't be trying to ride unsanctioned trails.

Last edited:

Olly

Monkey
Oct 1, 2015
i use the app primarily when i am traveling to new locations and find new trails elsewhere.
Me too, so this isn't really ideal – although at the moment I'm not exactly travelling very far to ride.

But I still want them to be able to make a living.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Our trail org has put out to use the emergency locate feature if we get injured or see someone injured on the trail. They have sponsored some of our trail development. When I found someone knocked out cold from a concussion on the trail a few weeks back, I didn't even think about it. I enlisted someone right away to call 911 and had no problems there, but if that didn't work, I would have popped my PLB beacon anyway. I guess trailforks has some sort of arrangement/agreement with first responders to give position data, but it still requires cell service.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I used REI's MTB application when traveling to Utah with good success. It will only cover 'official' trails, which is fine by me, strangers shouldn't be trying to ride unsanctioned trails.
I call it "exploring". I like exploring.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I call it "exploring". I like exploring.
Well some people's exploring gets others people's hard work shut down.

Dig to ride, or have a host. Either way in those circumstances you don't need trail forks.

Edit: assuming private land

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
Unsanctioned trails is a main reason I use Trailforks, personally.

I see a lot more growth and active users on TF compared to MTB Project.

They both have their uses when exploring new riding areas.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Well some people's exploring gets others people's hard work shut down.

Dig to ride, or have a host. Either way in those circumstances you don't need trail forks.

Edit: assuming private land
Sounds like they need to stop telling their bro-friends about their "secret" trails then!

1st rule of secret trails...invite friends to ride said secret trail and swear them to secrecy. The ultimate contradiction.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I paid for the Pro subscription last night, only to realize today that as one of the admins for Ontario I can get it for free. For $1.50 I think its great and worth the cost. I'll probably just continue paying the small fee, for a service that I use a lot. Unlike paying $15 or whatever for Netflix every month....

Should be noted too, that only the app is what costs money. The website is still totally free.

Private or unsanctioned trail (the definition of this has a different meaning based on location) should always be hidden. Its nice that you can flag those trails in TrailForks and that any rides that travel on them will also be hidden from public. Its at least a little more control over what happens with Strava.

Our trail org has put out to use the emergency locate feature if we get injured or see someone injured on the trail. They have sponsored some of our trail development. When I found someone knocked out cold from a concussion on the trail a few weeks back, I didn't even think about it. I enlisted someone right away to call 911 and had no problems there, but if that didn't work, I would have popped my PLB beacon anyway. I guess trailforks has some sort of arrangement/agreement with first responders to give position data, but it still requires cell service.
I can see the emergency function working really well, especially around this area. Trail systems around here, unless run by a private business or are bike only, are hardly ever mapped AND they are a spaghetti of trails. Trying to help them navigate to your location must be a nightmare - for example in this place https://www.trailforks.com/region/copeland-forest/.

Last edited:

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Rarely use TF, more often I'll look for rides on MTB Project when heading somewhere new.

I wonder if this will impact the "free" TF integration with newer Garmin units? They have the ability to pull up TF rides on the unit based on where you are...

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Rarely use TF, more often I'll look for rides on MTB Project when heading somewhere new.

I wonder if this will impact the "free" TF integration with newer Garmin units? They have the ability to pull up TF rides on the unit based on where you are...
The Faq and comments on the Pinkbike article say that any Garmin or other units aren't affected, its just the actual TF app. You can even still use the trailforks.com website and its full functionality, for free.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Never used the app. Makes no difference to me.

Seems like some folks are upset at contributing to a "free" service, and then after said service has reached a sufficient size, being asked to pay a subscription fee.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
i'd read about that elsewhere, i may be getting a new watch in the future and it'd be very cool to have a map in my watch vs having to carry a phone

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
i'd read about that elsewhere, i may be getting a new watch in the future and it'd be very cool to have a map in my watch vs having to carry a phone
My 830 I got earlier this year has it, I guess I haven't been able to travel far enough afield for it to be useful so far. Plus generally I'll be following a course if it's somewhere new on a trip.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
You're obviously not a mountainbiker.

I have been told this before, but in the context that I failed to have a matching Skittles themed colorway between my riding gear and bike.

I think I will have to find another "lifestyle" activity to define myself.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
My 830 I got earlier this year has it, I guess I haven't been able to travel far enough afield for it to be useful so far. Plus generally I'll be following a course if it's somewhere new on a trip.
i actually read somewhere that some of the higher end watches can use it too.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
Get an InReach if are counting on Medevac. Very few of my local trails, and most of my favorite trails in California don't have cell service.

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
I don't use TF because most trails where I live that are worth riding aren't on it. But if I lived somewhere that had good, sanctioned trails, I'd happily pay $1.50 or $3.00 or whatever per month. I spend more than that on Nuun tabs.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Never used the app. Makes no difference to me.

Seems like some folks are upset at contributing to a "free" service, and then after said service has reached a sufficient size, being asked to pay a subscription fee.
I think it brings up legitimate questions, even though the answer might be fairly straightforward. Like, if they were able to do this and make money before, what changed? If it becomes more popular, one would assume more add revenue, for events, races, etc., not less, so it's a good question to ask why. It also says on their banner that they are expanding into new and different sports and that they need the mtbers "help" to mark trails for those sports. So are we subsidizing this expansion? Again, the answers may be obvious and for some services, like Strava, I didn't see the "subscription" service to be a big deal. It made sense that the recreational users didn't need the higher functions and if you really wanted to see where you placed, all you had to do was get fast enough to be in the top 10, but the implementation seemed decent enough.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
@Jm_ it sounds like there was no revenue, I'm guessing it was all funded from PB. All the other sports that are being added fall under the same app and subscription. They all (ATV, skiing etc etc) have their own TF ambassadors/admins and trail associations.

FarkinRyan

Monkey
Dec 15, 2003
Pemberton, BC
I don't have any real philosophical objection to paying to use the app in theory but the pricing structure is weird to me. I'd be much more likely to purchase one-off access to a different area when I travel there at $3 a pop rather than having to have a subscription to have full access worldwide all the time.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I don't have any real philosophical objection to paying to use the app in theory but the pricing structure is weird to me. I'd be much more likely to purchase one-off access to a different area when I travel there at $3 a pop rather than having to have a subscription to have full access worldwide all the time.
also wondering why there's no annual subscription offering, just monthly.

MrBaker87

Monkey
Mar 30, 2014
neverlandranch
I am an admin in my region, but ignored the free content subscription due to the fact this app is invaluable at times and I am really happy to pay $18/year for it. Being that 18$ works out to $1.50/month, I think it’s pretty reasonable considering I can’t even get a coffee for less than $2 at any of my local joints.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Never used it.

but if I did I'm not so tight I'd start a internet thread about having to pay $1.50 for the privilege.
and I'm fucking Scottish.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Companies are generally keen to get on a subscription gravy train. Monthly revenue is probably more certain than annual and the associated smaller increments are easier to for the user base to stomach I suppose.