Quantcast

Transitioning from tubes to tubeless?

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Your problem is that you are running a really stiff and unforgiving DH rim that was made for DH tires with flimsy xc tires, which is made even more flimsy because you are running low pressures. That rim has no give at all, and whenever you take a hard hit, it is going to cut your sidewall every time. You can either get some burlier or full ust tires, or lace up some new rims like flow ex or arch ex and run tubeless ready trail tires.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Your problem is that you are running a really stiff and unforgiving DH rim that was made for DH tires with flimsy xc tires, which is made even more flimsy because you are running low pressures. That rim has no give at all, and whenever you take a hard hit, it is going to cut your sidewall every time. You can either get some burlier or full ust tires, or lace up some new rims like flow ex or arch ex and run tubeless ready trail tires.
WTF is the old man doing running DH rims?

Hey you old fossil - quit doing this $hit. :D

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I'm using DH rims because I was regularly destroying XC rims. So what next, Maxxis? If so, which?

Edit:

I looked at the tire closely today and it's toast. There's a big cut in the tread corresponding to the one in the sidewall.
Ditch the DH rims. I would rather replace rims every year then push those anchors around. Go to the bike shop. Try out some of the newer bikes on the rack. The kit wheels on most of them are really well built. Take the lightest bike with the best wheels out for a test ride. Mavic kit wheels are pretty good. Most of the ride quality you will experience is the wheels.

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
So just before this month's trip I put a brand new Trail King on the rear. At Douthat, I hurtle through a stream crossing, Hear a big bang, rear tire goes flat, same damn thing - bright spot on the rim from a rock hit, pinch cut so close to the bead it'll never seal.

I weigh 160#, have been running maybe 20 psig rear, 18 front. Kick 'em both up by five pounds?
At least. Try running ~28-30lbs and adjust from there.

Also - Look into Specilized 2bliss tires.

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
I'm using DH rims because I was regularly destroying XC rims. So what next, Maxxis? If so, which?

I think your sidewall tearing issues are likely from running too low pressure.

Also - if you value durability and performance over weight-weeniness, there's nothing wrong with 823's. I would, (and do) run them every day over some other brands just to save 200grams.