Quantcast

Troy Brosnan and Sam Hill...

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
Nothing better than a little race news in the winter!
http://www.pinkbike.com/news/2011-Aussie-Nationals-Round-1.html
http://www.pinkbike.com/news/2011-Australian-Nationals-Rd-1-Pit-Talk-Video.html

Pumped for those guys!...pumped for the TLD D3 helmets takin 1, 2, 3rd! haha

Lets especulate on the 2012 season, arguing with a industry bro this morning, telling me how this result shows that Troy B will smoke Sam all year, and I tell him a few things:
-Graves couldnt beat Sam on a long pedally track
-Sam is still at about 70%
-the fact Sam is racing in the off season is a win
-Did I mention our helmets took 1st 2nd and 3rd?

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
:spam: :ban: ;)

Kidding! :D

But could you get Ben Cory a WC ride? I am still surprised he doesn't race outside of Australia. He has skillz!

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
Does anyone else mentally replace "TLD" with "brought to you by Carl's Jr" with Stik's posts?

captainspauldin

intrigued by a pole
May 14, 2007
Jersey Shore

Lets especulate on the 2012 season, arguing with a industry bro this morning, telling me how this result shows that Troy B will smoke Sam all year, and I tell him a few things:
Graves mentioned he had a big mistake or something.. impressive none the less that Sam+Troy were able to beat him on the pedally course. Also pumped to see Sam racing in the off season, makes him seem more "mortal". Dirt just posted their edit: http://dirt.mpora.com/news/troy-brosnan-tracey-hannah-win-aussie-nationals-1.html

Sidenote, Tracey Hannah smokkked the ladies, up 40 seconds..

Last edited:

Ian Collins

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Pacific Beach, San Diego, CA
that vid on vital is sick! anything goes, but i'm speculating if brosnan progresses at this rate and stays healthy he'll be untouchable the season after this upcoming one...australian junior riders are gnarly!

i also love seeing sam still riding like sam..so entertaining...he took completely different lines than everyone else in the two spots that they showed multiple riders on....

Last edited:

Wa-Aw

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Philippines
that vid on vital is sick! anything goes, but i'm speculating if brosnan progresses at this rate and stays healthy he'll be untouchable the season after this upcoming one...australian junior riders are gnarly!

i also love seeing sam still riding like sam..so entertaining...he took completely different lines than everyone else in the two spots that they showed multiple riders on....
Sometimes I get the feeling he just does this because he can and not because it's all that much faster. I can't be the only racer who wants to try wacked out lines where the spectators are!

Mr Lahey

Monkey
Sep 23, 2009

Based on Sam's last couple seasons him racing the off-season will result in him spending another season watching the WC!

certified

Chimp
Aug 31, 2011
UK
Its great to see Sam keeping in shape in the off season. The racing during winter will really stand to him next season.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Stick thanks for the update on Sam. I still don't belive the Troy will smoke Sam bandwagon. He has not been 100% for a long time and in my opinion on tech tracks he is still the guy to beat. Really wonder how the Worlds would have looked like if he was fully healed.

Manifesto

Monkey
Aug 16, 2009
your moms basement
Stick thanks for the update on Sam. I still don't belive the Troy will smoke Sam bandwagon. He has not been 100% for a long time and in my opinion on tech tracks he is still the guy to beat. Really wonder how the Worlds would have looked like if he was fully healed.
Yeah I'm curious too, Sam also came to a complete stop twice in his run.

Pegboy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2003
New Hamp-sha
Not a matter of if, it's a matter of when. To use Stick's 70% estimate; do you think Brosnan is over 70% of his potential? Hill may, or may not, have peaked but Brosnan most certainly has not so it's fair to say that he is not at 100% either. Obvious speculation, but it will be as exciting as hell to watch.

jnooth

Monkey
Sep 19, 2008
Vermont Country
Not a matter of if, it's a matter of when. To use Stick's 70% estimate; do you think Brosnan is over 70% of his potential? Hill may, or may not, have peaked but Brosnan most certainly has not so it's fair to say that he is not at 100% either. Obvious speculation, but it will be as exciting as hell to watch.
I think you may have missed the point. I would say he meant that sam is at 70% health/ strength I don't think it was a question of potential. if it were I would agree that troy is not at 100% but health/ strength I think he probably is.

Pegboy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2003
New Hamp-sha
No, I understand that was refering to his health and strength. I am simply saying that at Brosnan's age he will continue to get stronger...much stronger, and better. Better by how much? That remains to be seen.

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
When I was at Intense, I had my emails burning up daily, about Connor Fearon "the next sam hill"...tried to get him on the bikes but lost out to kona. But do we still think he is the 'next sam hill'?

Seems if we compare the legend of Sam Hill to being an aussie thing, Troy is wearing similar shoes of greatness?

jrewing

Monkey
Aug 22, 2010
Maydena Oz
When I was at Intense, I had my emails burning up daily, about Connor Fearon "the next sam hill"...tried to get him on the bikes but lost out to kona. But do we still think he is the 'next sam hill'?

Seems if we compare the legend of Sam Hill to being an aussie thing, Troy is wearing similar shoes of greatness?
Connor has incredible natural talent. With time, training regime and a good coach he'll be there. The kids wild and is sick to watch.

Troy is on fire and full of confidence, which is a what racers need. He has also been groomed for the role for a while so is a good headstart in front of Connor. In saying that, Troy is so pinpoint/composed and is agood chance for the WC overall this coming season.

Cant wait til i can follow them for a 100m when the Nationals come to my local!!!

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
Troy is definitely the future's man to beat.
Eventhough he's one of the smallest racers on the cirquit he has the fitness to pedal. And with time he will only be stronger.
And his riding abilities are already in the same league as Hills and Faircloughs.

But the biggest strentgh of this youngster is his racehead.
He is just confident and has fun. Hopefully he can keep that property for a while.

All in all Troy has already got a great package to be succesful.

I definitely like the young guns! Keep it going:thumb:

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
i predict gwin, minnaar, and athertons times continue to consistently stand above everybody else. Hart will do better then brosnan. If Hill heals, expect to see him up there with the big boys.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
All these guys are so close in the bike handling portion of things, but the Minnarrs, Athertons and Gwin's eat up earth with their horsepower. It would seem the last few seasons, that the 450's have stayed consistently on top of the 250s, despite their lighter weight and handling advantages.

Hill is something of a hybrid, able to produce a lot of torque, but we can all agree that flats are holding him back in certain events. Brosnan and Hart have the best ability to put a bike anywhere and will both get better at straightening out the track over time, but they're going to always have to compensate in the horsepower department.

It's exciting to see Hart & Brosnan with the bike handling skill set of Hill, but clipped in!

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Hill is something of a hybrid, able to produce a lot of torque, but we can all agree that flats are holding him back in certain events.
are you trolling or just stirring up the pot? Don't you think he would be riding clipped-in if he thought it would bring him a performance advantage?

for the record, I started clipped-in, moved to flats, and will likely go back to clipped-in when I can find my DH shoes in the mess that is my basement. If only for comfort. I have no horse in this race, I can see the benefit of both.