Quantcast

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
i wasnt aware of the o/d being a tow haul mode until today. and like you said, its not the best idea.

and thank you for verifying my conspiracy on down shifting a auto
Seals, valve bodies, main pumps, one way clutches in the staters......... Bad things happen when main line pressure doubles or more at speed.....

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Seals, valve bodies, main pumps, one way clutches in the staters......... Bad things happen when main line pressure doubles or more at speed.....
like i said above, ive seen a S10 and Caravan blow their trannys when downshifted accidentally. ive done it at somewhat slow speeds and you can feel how bad it is on the tranny

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
I am taking a guess at 45, but its pretty steep, so even if its 30, id like to know your advice. Its a long straight road thats 35mph speed limit, it slowly slants until the top (i would guess 300 feet tall) I drive 40ish and usually let off, as i have for the last few years. However, it seems now with the increased traffic that its becoming a PITA since i cant just drive up to the top (usually guaranteed it didnt slam 1st) If i want to get to first, ideally i have to go less than 10 mph, which will piss off every person in back of me, id liek to blame it on the gear ratios and 6 speed tranny, because none of the other cars i have do it. Advice appreciated.
Tell me more about your truck....... Over sized tires??? Lift kit??? anything like that? Different PCM programming, maybe a trans tune????

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
Tell me more about your truck....... Over sized tires??? Lift kit??? anything like that? Different PCM programming, maybe a trans tune????
BONE stock with the exception of a train horn kit.

its a 2010 tundra crewmax limited with the 5.7 engine

4wd (used in 2)

automatic 6 speed tranny with all the goodies from their comercials

has tow haul, gay fake manual sport mode which only limits the gear your set in, EX-redline in first and never shift up, but if your in 3rd, it will use 1st, 2nd, and 3rd, but no higher.

Been in 2 minor accidents with no mechanical damage, only damage to the bed, fixed properly and fixed extremely well.

shift colum looks like this

P
R
(down) N
S------ D
(up)

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
BONE stock with the exception of a train horn kit.

its a 2010 tundra crewmax limited with the 5.7 engine

4wd (used in 2)

automatic 6 speed tranny with all the goodies from their comercials

has tow haul, gay fake manual sport mode which only limits the gear your set in, EX-redline in first and never shift up, but if your in 3rd, it will use 1st, 2nd, and 3rd, but no higher.

Been in 2 minor accidents with no mechanical damage, only damage to the bed, fixed properly and fixed extremely well.

shift colum looks like this

P
R
(down) N
S------ D
(up)
In all honesty, sounds like tis jsut a steep hill in which you should hit slower int ehf rist place so it doesnt slam into first. That, or know the feelign when its going to shift to first, and back off the throttle when it does, the more your on the accelerator, the harder its going to shift.

How long is this hill?? seriously a 45 degree hill is friggin STEEP, not saying you wont see them, hell there are a few down the road from me, but a 45 degree is steeper than a boat launch ramp, and most any vehicle shouldnt be able to make it up that in anything but first.

I think your slam into first really isnt a slam, just hitting a rather low gear and the feeling may just be the nature of the beast for this one.

As for the sensitivity of yoru accelerator..... Welcome to drive by wire systems. Youll get used to it as you drive it more.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
In all honesty, sounds like tis jsut a steep hill in which you should hit slower int ehf rist place so it doesnt slam into first. That, or know the feelign when its going to shift to first, and back off the throttle when it does, the more your on the accelerator, the harder its going to shift.

How long is this hill?? seriously a 45 degree hill is friggin STEEP, not saying you wont see them, hell there are a few down the road from me, but a 45 degree is steeper than a boat launch ramp, and most any vehicle shouldnt be able to make it up that in anything but first.

I think your slam into first really isnt a slam, just hitting a rather low gear and the feeling may just be the nature of the beast for this one.

As for the sensitivity of yoru accelerator..... Welcome to drive by wire systems. Youll get used to it as you drive it more.
Good to know, as i said, it may be 30, but lookin at it, its steep, and the steepness isnt the problem, its the stop sign at the top. Would this "problem" be much different if it was 25-30 degrees?

?????

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
San Francisco
The problem is in your head.

I just don't see a reasonably new automatic working any less than perfect under normal operating conditions. Driving along the street is nothing that this truck shouldn't be able to handle. Even if the hill is steep. It has a huge V8 and can probably tow around 10,000 pounds. If you have it in tow/haul mode...then it might shift into first with some force, but not if you just put it in normal drive.

Last edited:

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
Get a new bumper and drive like a man.
Real men don't stop. But real men do pull out.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
Good to know, as i said, it may be 30, but lookin at it, its steep, and the steepness isnt the problem, its the stop sign at the top. Would this "problem" be much different if it was 25-30 degrees?
No, even a 25-30 degree hill is pretty damn steep to see.

I just think most of it is in your head and your foot. leave i out of tow mode, and just slow down for the hill........ Between the DBW throttle, and the six speed trans your getting a pretty big reduction in first so it probably does feel like a slam, mostly because withthe DBW, foot still or not the throttle changes during the shift.... so reguardless its like your letting off and hitting the gas again.... Just how that system works.

ebarker9

Monkey
Oct 2, 2007
Steepest roads in NJ (Fiddler's/breakneck) tend to top out at like a 20% grade, which is around an 11 degree incline. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
Kickstand........ Please listen on this........ Stop giving automitive repair advice. I know you have this in your head that you know what your doing. But everytime I see your advice there is always some flaw in it. Yes the electronics will stop it from down shifting, but the manual valve you move inside the trans when going from D to 1st at speed DOES do damage inside the transimssion wether or not it shifts...... Yes it wont shift, but your mainline pressure just went through the roof.... Its a great way to blow seals out of the tranmission

Seriously I am not trying to be an ass to you, you asked me why it seems everytime you say something, I have something completly opposite to it..... Its because teashing yourself, and filling in the blanks does not mean you know what your talking about.
I will admit this, I assumed I was doing no damage to my transmission, under the assumption that the electronics would protect the transmission and engine as they do with so many other things on a car these days. So after you called me out, I sent a link to this thread, to two of my friends, followed it up to a phone call to each, tranny guy #2 picked up the phone.

1. is an ASE certified technician who rebuilds transmissions on the side. He doesn't "just do trannsmissions" in his garage and hack them together, he's been doing them for years and is very good at what he does. I'll leave it at that, because I don't care to get into any sort of "credentials" pissing match with you.

2. A prototype technician in the automotive industry here in the "D". Education to back up his daily job. He also rebuilds transmissions on the side. Did 3 plow truck transmissions for my brother, explained EXACTLY why each transmission failed. (All on new 2003+ trucks). Saved my brother a TON of money by fixing only what failed unlike the tranny shop who wanted to do nothing short of a complete rebuild. Again, he knows his **** and has a great local reputation.

Tranny guy #2's response......first he LOL'd.

Then he said "mainline pressure through the roof?" LOL.

Premature wear? Maybe, but nothing significant. He then went on to explain that downshifting like this to use engine breaking while towing although not as effective as with a manual, is perfectly fine with an automatic. The only way a trans can have its pressure go through the roof is most likely from a faulty part IE: a bad EPC, stuck pressure regulator valve, stuck boost valve.... Downshifting will not cause anyone of these to fail. All of the trans you listed have an EPC solenoid (electronic pressure control) that is regulated via voltage from the ecm. Smaller transmissions can possibly receive a little undo stress on some hard parts from downshifting like this if towing a significant amount of weight. When I downshift like that, I try and do it around 45-50, but that is just my opinion. Is my opinion correct? I dunno, but from my experiences that is what I am comfortable with.

So with that said, I still maintain my opinion that on most of todays newer cars with electronically controlled engines and transmissions you aren't doing any damage.

I respect that you know a fair amount about cars, I'm sure you know some things I don't and vice versa. But in this instance you can say what you want, I am going to go with what I just discussed with my friend. If trans guy #1 returns my call and has conflicting information than it is what it is.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
No, even a 25-30 degree hill is pretty damn steep to see.

I just think most of it is in your head and your foot. leave i out of tow mode, and just slow down for the hill........ Between the DBW throttle, and the six speed trans your getting a pretty big reduction in first so it probably does feel like a slam, mostly because withthe DBW, foot still or not the throttle changes during the shift.... so reguardless its like your letting off and hitting the gas again.... Just how that system works.
This I totally agree with. Further than this just being in his head, if this little "hill" is causing a transmission failure (down the road) because of a slightly harsh downshift than you've got bigger concerns.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
Steepest roads in NJ (Fiddler's/breakneck) tend to top out at like a 20% grade, which is around an 11 degree incline. Just thought I'd throw that out there.
This hill (which isnt all that tall) i can guarentee you is more than 11 degrees, if you do want to see some of the hairy roads i drive on, google piermont NY, the local shop is over there and the roads are nutty. if you had a 3 story house, your basement could have a deck on 1 side, and your 2nd floor would have no window, maybe ill take out the go-pro later, its nutty what people will live on

Dirtymike, thanks for the advice, dont necessarily understand all of it, but i understand it more than before.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
did you ask your friends about shifting into first at speed or just down shifting in general? because you seem to always forget that part which i originally mentioned about shifting into first at speed will be bad. you seem to dance around that question and bring up the fact that accelerating from a stand still is fine so downshifting into first would be fine too.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
did you ask your friends about shifting into first at speed or just down shifting in general? because you seem to always forget that part which i originally mentioned about shifting into first at speed will be bad. you seem to dance around that question and bring up the fact that accelerating from a stand still is fine so downshifting into first would be fine too.
That is exactly what I asked both of them. Told both of them I put the gear selector in first at 60, the TRANNY chose to go into second until the car was going slow enough to safely go into first.

I did it thousands of times engine breaking, towing a load in my 99 silverado that I sold with 185k on the original engine and trans.

I am not dancing around anything. I admitted i assumed it was fine based on what I knew about transmissions. I asked someone I consider to be an expert, he agreed. He rebuilds tons of transmissions at least 3-5 per week on the side. He is a prototype tech he tested transmissions at certain points in his career. If I was doing something that he felt would cost me a transmission I am pretty sure he would tell me to stop, or call me an idiot. Neither of which he did.

The only reason I brought up the fact that if I put the gear selector in 1st, and take off from a stop, do not touch the gear selector and it still shifts into second as when the engine reaches redline was to further illustrate the point that just putting the gear selector in first does not make the transmission go into first gear.

Last edited:

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
FWIW, if i am going down a hill, and i press the brakes, MY TRUCK (and the 4runner and camry) will downshift and hold the speed like a jakebrake. Its designed to do so, that said, its not 1st at a buck10, but it will almost always downshift and hold it (and i LOVE this feature) You wont notice it until you have it, but its real nice, makes driving even easier.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
you have to be kidding me, I can throw my car into first gear on the freeway (it is an automatic), I will feel it downshift to 3rd, it will then downshift to second at about 55 mph (I'll verify tomorrow), and it will not downshift to first until almost 30 mph.Same with my 96 s-10, 99 silverado, 07 new style silverado, etc.

Tell me what damage this is doing? It is NO different than downshifting with a stick shift, and it isn't downshifting and redlining, when I drop from 2nd to first it only revs to about 3000 rpm or 3500 rpm in first gear (I think my car redlines at 6000 or 5500).This should say when "IT" drops, I am not shifting it from 2nd to 1st, the transmission is on downshifting on its own the way it is controlled by the computer, in this example I have already put the gear shifter into 1st.

As well I can put the gear selector in first gear and stomp on the gas, all the way to redline, and hold my foot to the floor, unlike my 1978 chevy truck, my newer car will shift into second gear.
Furhter illustrating my point that just putting the gear selector in first will not guaruntee first gear.
The gear selector may say first, but just putting it there doesn't guarantee that is where todays computer controlled transmission has chosen to be.
im not going to argue with you on your specific vehicle, but of the numerous cars ive owned over the years, they all would (except for the CVT cars ive had.)

i can also guarantee your 96 S10 would do this and destroy its tranmission as ive seen it happen before.and like i said before, accelerating and having the car shift into 2nd gear isnt nearly as bad as downshifting manually into 1st whilst at speed. im sure dirty mike will explain why since i cant put it into layman's terms.
No, you can't guaruntee that, because my 96 s-10 is where I learned that this took place, my truck was bought new in feb of 1996, it was sold in 2004 with over 200k on it, and lived through myself, and 3 other brothers beating the **** out of it, with Zero transmission failures.

does that clear it up?

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
FWIW, if i am going down a hill, and i press the brakes, MY TRUCK (and the 4runner and camry) will downshift and hold the speed like a jakebrake. Its designed to do so, that said, its not 1st at a buck10, but it will almost always downshift and hold it (and i LOVE this feature) You wont notice it until you have it, but its real nice, makes driving even easier.
I've noticed this in a lot of the newer cars as well, the one I noticed it most in is one of my brothers work trucks that had the allison trans in it. Nice feature.

ebarker9

Monkey
Oct 2, 2007
This hill (which isnt all that tall) i can guarentee you is more than 11 degrees, if you do want to see some of the hairy roads i drive on, google piermont NY, the local shop is over there and the roads are nutty. if you had a 3 story house, your basement could have a deck on 1 side, and your 2nd floor would have no window, maybe ill take out the go-pro later, its nutty what people will live on

Dirtymike, thanks for the advice, dont necessarily understand all of it, but i understand it more than before.
"Canton Avenue, a short cobbled street in Pittsburgh’s Beechview neighbourhood attains a whopping 37%, or 20.3°, gradient, making it the steepest public road in the United States – and, quite possibly, the world."

I wouldn't be surprised if it were close to 20 degrees, but it's really hard to estimate...we always tend to think that things are steeper than they are.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
Hey - do us a favor, get one of these, measure, then get back with us. You're full of $hit on this one.
Mayb not 45 degrees, but i find it hard to believe that any road isnt steeper than 20, i took a few pics on my way to school today, the pictures (like any) dont do it justice.

If you want to see a place the roads are NUTTY steep, google earth dobbs ferry NY, its just across the TZ bridget on the NY side, its hard to believe the place actually exists, some of those roads might actually be 45 degrees :shocked:

Just a few hills near my house

^ one of the steeper sections, most of the roads are only 10-15 degrees, but parts of them get nutty steep. (unfortunately alot of my pics did not come out, nor was i able to take pics of some of the crazier **** due to traffic. Check out the real-estate on "tweed blvd" in piermont NY, some of the driveways could work as hill climbs

^this is the average slope of most of the hills around here, fun to drive too, scenic.

I am not here to start a pissing match with you, but ill say that not every road is documented, especially these roads, half of them look home-made, you dont have to believe me, although i do encourage you to google earth piermont NY and Dobbs ferry (across the river)

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
pictures make hills looks flat apparently. who woulda thunk it
did the best i could, i figured it would happen, but what can ya do, wasnt able to find a topographical map with the streets on it. o well, its just the internet. That said, i do appreciate the help i have gotten so far.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
can't figure out your own bar height, can't figure out how to drive up a hill. Sheesh mandown was paralyzed for a while and he wasn't asking us how to do stuff.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
I can drive up the hill, have been for a long time, but im trying to figure out why some of hte time the truck downshifts violently, the truck is fine, i just wanted to find out what i can do to prevent it, i plan on keeping the truck for a long time, didnt realize it was "normal"

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Mayb not 45 degrees, but i find it hard to believe that any road isnt steeper than 20, i took a few pics on my way to school today, the pictures (like any) dont do it justice.
Goddammit. Get one of those things and tell us EXACTLY how steep each of those hills is. They are not more than 20 degrees. You are full of $hit.

Sghost

Turbo Monkey
Jul 13, 2008
NY
To put some of the grade stuff in perspective:

A few miles away from the Windham WC site on the back side had a long fluctuating climb where it started drizzling and the pro tour peloton had to resort to walking their bikes up some stretches. It was clean pavement and had average of 12% grade.

Just think about if you could actually ride up these "hills." Pics and standing pedestrians can change a perceived angle, but I'll assumed those porches are indeed built level and I :rofl: