Quantcast

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
To put some of the grade stuff in perspective:

A few miles away from the Windham WC site on the back side had a long fluctuating climb where it started drizzling and the pro tour peloton had to resort to walking their bikes up some stretches. It was clean pavement and had average of 12% grade.
This is another thing that confuses people. 12% is not the same as 12 degrees.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
To put some of the grade stuff in perspective:

A few miles away from the Windham WC site on the back side had a long fluctuating climb where it started drizzling and the pro tour peloton had to resort to walking their bikes up some stretches. It was clean pavement and had average of 12% grade.

Just think about if you could actually ride up these "hills." Pics and standing pedestrians can change a perceived angle, but I'll assumed those porches are indeed built level and I :rofl:
Unsure what defines a grade, i usually go by degrees, i have ridden up some of these hills before, i wasnt able to get up the top picture with the stop sign and line, but thats not to say its impossible. I may not be an XC rider by any means, but i can pedal up things that are more than 20 degrees. What does skyline drive top out in (degrees) there are a few sections over there that i would assume break 20 degrees.

this isnt really all that steep?

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Sooo....... Kickstand... both the guys you talked to rebuild trannies on the side right......

Ok

My info comes from the guys that do this day in and day out, along with the training and hands on of my own.

So check it out.... first off Transmission repair is the biggest watched repair in all of automotive, Trans shops will not just tell you that you need a complete rebuild without reason. Every trans out there has half dozen or more updates that should be done, most of which are in either the electronics, or the mechanical side of teh valve body.

Alot of single springs are replaced with multi spring stacks, spring and roller one way clutchs are replaced with Sprag type, new vent holes get drilled.... alot if this is stuff that get updated due to valves getting stuck, the list goes on and on and on........ There are a ton of updates for various reasons.

Yes the electronics will stop the shift, but they cant override the mechanical side of the trans. Not going to say for sure with a CVT trans, but all standard shift type trans these days will have both electronics as well as mechnical parts.

SHifting to low or first at the appropriate time is fine, doing it as full speed is not. Your moving your manual valve to shange the fluid flow inside the valve body, while the electronics are preventing the shift valves from moving due to your current vehicle speed.

I dont rebuld tranmissions onthe side, I dont work on Autos on the side..... This is what I do day in and day out. I go to update classes all the time, I keep on top of my game, check with others with what I belive and proove to myself what I belive is happening before presenting to a customer.

You can belive me, or not... I dont care... Fact is, I send vehicles home with proper complete repairs for a living and do a damn good job at it

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
Demo...... cant really offer any more on this without having it in front of me or taking it for a drive.
not a problem, i agree with what you said, the DBW is very touchy, and since it (essentially bypasses the pedal to shift)-right? if i have gas on , itl downshift (pushing me forward) than engage the gas like dumping a clutch (pushing me backwards)

Assuming thats more or less whats happening, it all makes sense, although doesnt solve it, at least i know what the deal is.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
Sooo....... Kickstand... both the guys you talked to rebuild trannies on the side right......

Ok

My info comes from the guys that do this day in and day out, along with the training and hands on of my own.

So check it out.... first off Transmission repair is the biggest watched repair in all of automotive, Trans shops will not just tell you that you need a complete rebuild without reason. Every trans out there has half dozen or more updates that should be done, most of which are in either the electronics, or the mechanical side of teh valve body.

Alot of single springs are replaced with multi spring stacks, spring and roller one way clutchs are replaced with Sprag type, new vent holes get drilled.... alot if this is stuff that get updated due to valves getting stuck, the list goes on and on and on........ There are a ton of updates for various reasons.

Yes the electronics will stop the shift, but they cant override the mechanical side of the trans. Not going to say for sure with a CVT trans, but all standard shift type trans these days will have both electronics as well as mechnical parts.

SHifting to low or first at the appropriate time is fine, doing it as full speed is not. Your moving your manual valve to shange the fluid flow inside the valve body, while the electronics are preventing the shift valves from moving due to your current vehicle speed.

I dont rebuld tranmissions onthe side, I dont work on Autos on the side..... This is what I do day in and day out. I go to update classes all the time, I keep on top of my game, check with others with what I belive and proove to myself what I belive is happening before presenting to a customer.

You can belive me, or not... I dont care... Fact is, I send vehicles home with proper complete repairs for a living and do a damn good job at it
1st, I told you I wasn't going to get into a credentials pissing match with you, but since you seem to always think you are mr. superior.

The guy who laughed his ass off at you, works in the testing department for a transmission manufacturer that supplies transmissions to multiple OEM's. He does rebuilds, reworks, destructive testing, durability testing, driveability and calibration of transmissions in his day job. I'm going to go out on a limb here and say he probably has a much better understanding of transmissions and most likely cars in general, than you, a guy who likes to through out a few names of parts in his argument to try and sound like he is a guru, when in fact you are probably a call center text book guy, or a service manager, who hasn't put a wrench to a car in months, if not years. Funny, I work with the guys who write the manuals that your reading and pulling your information from. (I say this half joking, but I do work fairly closely with 2 of the major training and development companies locally who do all the training, certification, and writing of repair manuals for different companies like GM, Ford, Chrysler, US Army, UTI, Wyotech, and others. The training is for Dealership Service Departments, and the repair manuals are the ones they provide for those situations. Written for all newer cars. They also work closely with the OEM's to provide information like book time for repairs, etc.)

The other guy who is a wrench full time, works at a repair shop and has been rebuilding transmissions on the side for a long time, said if anything it could cause pump issues if done all the time, otherwise is completely harmless is a mechanic at a repair shop, and prior to moving out of state in 2005 during michigans toughest economic downturn was working at a company that you may have heard of, Borg Warner. As a Lab Tech, putting his hands inside of transmissions, differentials, and transfer cases daily.

So, since you wanted to go down that road, that is where my information comes from, along with my own general understanding, personal experience (in doing exactly like I said is harmless and never having an automatic transmission failure in ANY of my cars).

If that isn't good enough for you, the next time I go and visit the folks at Aisin or Getrag (two of my customers whom I supply engineering staff to). I'll ask one of the engineers in the development group what his thoughts are.

Last edited:

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
. I'm going to go out on a limb here and say he probably has a much better understanding of transmissions and most likely cars in general, than you, a guy who likes to through out a few names of parts in his argument to try and sound like he is a guru, when in fact you are probably a call center text book guy, or a service manager, who hasn't put a wrench to a car in months, if not years. .
Your limb just snapped

Master certified, multiple certs for trannies from chrysler, gm, nissin, about 140K worth of tools, Two degree's in the feild...............

You can come to my shop if you like

Have a good day

EDIT..... That description kinda sounds more like you..... seeing you already said you listed you learned most on your own.. Nice try though

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
Your limb just snapped

Master certified, multiple certs for trannies from chrysler, gm, nissin, about 140K worth of tools, Two degree's in the feild...............

You can come to my shop if you like

Have a good day

EDIT..... That description kinda sounds more like you..... seeing you already said you listed you learned most on your own.. Nice try though
I think my limb is holding plenty fine, So you have certs on transmission repair, do you develop those transmissions? Do you do destructive testing on them day in and day out? do you do durability testing on them? driveability? calibration? I didn't think so.

That description is nothing like me, but nice try again.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
You should just give up and trade it in for a Ford Raptor. Or a Dodge Cummins if you are really into off-roading.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
I watched 2 guys garage once, can i play too?

As for off-roading, i dont do it, if we didnt get alot of snow, i could probably get away with a 2WD truck

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
You still should get a Cummins, I heard they are incredible. They also have a ton of ground clearance for the snow. Way more than a Subaru, even though they are still totally capable off-road navigational vehicles.

Last edited:

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
then why have a truck in the first place? :confused:
to haul stuff, i take quite a few bikes to the races, i plow with my mexican chariot(which sits on a 12 by 6 trailor), and i landscape for a job, i COULD have gotten a mini-van or a lesbaru, or even an el camino, but a truck was just easier and made more sense. Toss bikes into rack, toss gear into bed, drive. There are many things that are possible to do with the stuff i need, but IMO not worth doing. I will offroad it, but not enough to where i really say i can, mostly long dirt roads where i go hunting.