Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Good people on both sides

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Good people on both sides
I know you and I disagree pretty strongly on guns (generally speaking) but this administration is, IMO, a great, real world example for why the 2nd Amendment was written.

The people in that article are only one side.

I think the country is pretty fucked up these days. :(

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
I know you and I disagree pretty strongly on guns (generally speaking) but this administration is, IMO, a great, real world example for why the 2nd Amendment was written.
To create a "well regulated militia"? You think these guys qualify? What part of a free state are these guys securing?

Serious question.

I think the country is pretty fucked up these days. :(
No argument here.

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
To create a "well regulated militia"? You think these guys qualify? What part of a free state are these guys securing?

Serious question.
No, to defend one's self from an overbearing government. Either ours or an outside country's.

I think the important part of the 2A is "the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." You can't form or sustain a "well regulated militia" if nobody has the right to arm themselves.

To answer your question about those guys we have to agree on what "well regulated" looks like.
I don't know that answer.

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007

Edit: Wow, that's weird. Hey @binary visions, so all I did wast copy/paste the link, and it populates with that "boomberg - are you a robot?" thing.

Last edited:

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Yes. Totally the same thing as threatening civil war. I can definitely see how the two are similar. :rolleyes:
The Oathkeepers/3% etc are just as big of assholes as the leftist militias like John Brown Gun Club (a member of which firebombed the WA ICE facility).

I don't see the Oathkeepers tweet in the link as threatening a civil war, just celebrating the opportunity to use their boogaloo meme's and have edgy HAM radio conversations.

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008

Edit: Wow, that's weird. Hey @binary visions, so all I did wast copy/paste the link, and it populates with that "boomberg - are you a robot?" thing.
It's the remote site stopping the query to give the preview against your URL.

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
Sounds like El Presidente for life is having another good day?

Using a vulgarity, the Republican president accused Democratic leaders of dishonesty and even treason.

In the call, Mr Trump pressed for an investigation of his Democratic political rival Joe Biden and his son, who worked for a Ukrainian gas firm. No evidence of wrongdoing by the Bidens has come to light.
During a joint press conference with Finnish President Sauli Niinistö, Mr Trump called Mr Biden and his son, Hunter, "stone cold corrupt".
Mr Trump directed much of his anger towards House Intelligence Committee Chairman Adam Schiff, calling him "shifty Schiff, "a lowlife" and saying he "should resign from office in disgrace".
He added: "Frankly, they should look at him for treason."
Mr Trump also stated that he believed Mr Schiff had "helped write" the whistleblower's complaint, without offering evidence.
As the Finnish leader looked on, Mr Trump said "there are those who think I'm a very stable genius" and said he "probably will be bringing a lot of litigation" against those who participated in the Russia investigation.
When the reporter pressed Mr Trump, the US president cut him off, saying: "Don't be rude."

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
if this fuckstick gets thrown out....

he can still run for president out of fucking spite....

and beat the collective jerkoffs opposing him

food for thought.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
if this fuckstick gets thrown out....

he can still run for president out of fucking spite....

and beat the collective jerkoffs opposing him

food for thought.
hard to run for president from jail....... let's not forget that there are other crimes that are pending processing against him the moment he's out of office.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
stumbled across this today https://www.nybooks.com/daily/2018/03/06/todays-eerie-echoes-of-the-civil-war/

it was posted in March 2018. But the conclusion seems prescient, and perhaps a bit depressing:

"
we would do well to pay heed to the old enmities bubbling up in our politics: it is not that we are on the verge of another civil war, but that the Civil War never truly ended. With the exception of slavery itself, what divided the United States then divides us still today. As Lincoln warned, in his famous letter to James Conkling about those who opposed black emancipation and recruitment into the Union Army:

And then, there will be some black men who can remember that, with silent tongue, and clenched teeth, and steady eye, and well-poised bayonet, they have helped mankind on to this great consummation; while, I fear, there will be some white ones, unable to forget that, with malignant heart, and deceitful speech, they strove to hinder it.
"

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007
indeed.
I have wondered when a R challenger will step up, 'cause it's almost sure to happen at this point.
Trump is being primaried by at least 3 people that I can recall off the top of my head.
Bill Weld, Joe Walsh (no, not that Joe Walsh), and Mark "Appalachian Trail" Sanford.

like russia....
Remember when Mitt said Russia was still our greatest political threat, and everyone laughed?

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Trump is being primaried by at least 3 people that I can recall off the top of my head.
Bill Weld, Joe Walsh (no, not that Joe Walsh), and Mark "Appalachian Trail" Sanford.

Remember when Mitt said Russia was still our greatest political threat, and everyone laughed?
and the GOP has canceled primaries in several states....

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007