Quantcast

Truvativ Descendant

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
If they're anything like the stylos- which they look like- they'll hold up to quite a bit, but are a bit flexy. I think they look good- I like my stylo cranks.

Nice that the descendants come in 165!

Last edited:

dh_newbie

Monkey
Jun 7, 2006
Hong Kong
Except the New Hive e-thirteen crankset that I am watching when it will be available, I don't think the truvativ crank can draw a lot of people attention. The one stylo is flex especially some rider over 200 lbs.

dilzy

Monkey
Sep 7, 2008
I thought they were supposed to be the Holzfeller replacement? IE as stiff as holzfellers, but with the GPX bb.

worship_mud

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2006
doood, i got this one completely wrong...
but i nevertheless prefer these descendents... :D

MarkDH

Monkey
Sep 23, 2004
Scotland
So do these have a 2 piece set-up with seperate cups like Saint/Race Face, or do they have the seperate BB and two arms still? I like my old school Holzfellers but the BB weighs a frickin' ton, the axle must have some depleted uranium in it or something.

wood booger

Monkey
Jul 16, 2008
the land of cheap beer
Looks like nothing special. It would be hard to not take weight out of the Holzfellers.

e*13 DH crank looks much nicer and latest Saints are lightened up a bunch.

I guess the Truvativs could be good if you are on a budget.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Still press-fit design, so they'll probably sqeak and creak like my holzfellers. I guess its a good low cost solution.

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
seeing them in person- they are slightly more robust stylos in an 83mm

too bad they are not stylo oct's w/ 83mm.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
I've been riding them for about 6 weeks now. Seem plenty stiff, they've taken a few rock strikes with no problems (unlike the gravity lights they replaced). BB looks feels good, install was straight forward and they are cheap to boot.

They get my vote.

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
Has anybody ridden the Descendants and Holzfeller OCT's and care to elaborate if there's a noticeable difference in stiffness?

I have the Holzfeller OCT's, and looking to drop a little weight, but don't want to lose any stiffness.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Ridden the Stylo OCTs and Descendants. There is a noticeable amount of stiffness addd with descendants. I know this doesn't answer your question, but the Descendants are mega stiff.

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
Ridden the Stylo OCTs and Descendants. There is a noticeable amount of stiffness addd with descendants. I know this doesn't answer your question, but the Descendants are mega stiff.
I think that answers it well enough, I just don't want to chase weight savings and end up with a flexy flier. Thanks for the input.

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
Would Descendants be enough for 65-70kg weekend warrior, just like me? :) I currently have got current Saints, but I get get set of new Truvativs at very good price...

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
yep it would be...

Saints are the cat's meow but for some reason I am going to give the e.13's a try, they seem like they will up the bar a bit.

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
What if Descendants were stiff enough for me? I am not 90kg racer and I don't huck.
I was pretty happy with FSA Grav Lights until I lost my bike.
It would be a way to shave same grams I am going to add with some new parts, next season.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
What if Descendants were stiff enough for me? I am not 90kg racer and I don't huck.
I was pretty happy with FSA Grav Lights until I lost my bike.
It would be a way to shave same grams I am going to add with some new parts, next season.
If you were happy with G-Lites why not run Stylos or XT's?

juanbeegas

Monkey
May 6, 2008
Singapore
I got them installed on my bike and the bolt on the non drive side has been torqued down to specs and it's not moving any more, but there is still a little bit of the spindle showing on the drive side. Should the crank arm be completely flushed to the BB cup?
I hope my crude drawing explains my question better...

Attachments