Quantcast

%%% Tuesday Blizzard GMT %%%

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
'morning monkeys.

We've got a regular little blizzard going on down here. It snowed for all of, oh, maybe 30 minutes. Almost nothing stuck. Yet we got the "inclimate weather policy" from work recommending everyone work from home and the country schools are closed.

Meh. Southerners.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
'morning monkeys.

We've got a regular little blizzard going on down here. It snowed for all of, oh, maybe 30 minutes. Almost nothing stuck. Yet we got the "inclimate weather policy" from work recommending everyone work from home and the country schools are closed.

Meh. Southerners.
Ha, we took off from Charlotte at 6.
Had a delay to de-ice. There was nothing on the plane.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
because over in Arkansas, in their own driveway....bumper pool with the trees

It should be in the mid 60s here once the sun comes up
That truck must have been just waiting to fail like that. Unless they were trying to do a Ken Block impersonation on their driveway and really wacked it

I can report that it is still balls cold up here. The sun is no where to be seen, it is one of those depressing grey winter days.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
8F on the my ride to work. Beautiful morning.

My grandmother used to tell us stories of how the river would freeze over and she would skate to Manhattan when she was a child. I hate to say it but I think she was full of sugar, as she would say. Some searching shows that ice jams could clog the river if winds blew it upstream, but I can find no evidence of freeze over.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
My grandmother used to tell us stories of how the river would freeze over and she would skate to Manhattan when she was a child. I hate to say it but I think she was full of sugar, as she would say. Some searching shows that ice jams could clog the river if winds blew it upstream, but I can find no evidence of freeze over.
the lake my family lives on up in Maine used to freeze so thick you could drive a 1 ton dump truck on it. that's actually how they moved in all the suppliers to the cove where they built their cabin. the access "road" is on a fairly steep hillside and they would never have gotten it down that way. andy by road i mine a path cleared through the woods that's wide enough for a car.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I, in my stubbornness, drove the LEAF in instead of the Land Cruiser. It's not easy starting moving on icy roads, but I figure since both have all seasons on them for the moment the difficulty getting started is a good reminder once moving to allow for lots of braking distance.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
The ice in the picture was actually floating upstream. I have been here where it has been covered in ice but not frozen over. With the strong current and the warmer salty water coming in from the ocean during high tide I would not risk my life crossing that river.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
I couldn't say for certain on your car, but typically, there is a solenoid lives up in the center console very close to/underneath the gear selector. As much winter as you guys have been having, it might also be a shorted switch on the brake pedal. If you know for sure you haven't soaked the center console in soda/coffee/beer, I might start with the brake switch.

and i keep my sunroof closed in the winter.
LULZ

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
the lake my family lives on up in Maine used to freeze so thick you could drive a 1 ton dump truck on it. that's actually how they moved in all the suppliers to the cove where they built their cabin. the access "road" is on a fairly steep hillside and they would never have gotten it down that way. andy by road i mine a path cleared through the woods that's wide enough for a car.
Ice Pond Truckers sounds less suspenseful.

Morning Monkeys.

It is 27 outside and sunny as all get out. Not common for these parts. I spent a small fortune to outfit my daughter for epic tubing this year and there is little to tube, let alone epic. F@ck global warming.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I couldn't say for certain on your car, but typically, there is a solenoid lives up in the center console very close to/underneath the gear selector. As much winter as you guys have been having, it might also be a shorted switch on the brake pedal. If you know for sure you haven't soaked the center console in soda/coffee/beer, I might start with the brake switch.
the abs & TC lights did come on yesterday, so maybe related. it has been hella cold.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
the abs & TC lights did come on yesterday, so maybe related.
:rofl:

This sound like it's getting expensive.

*Edit: When was the last time you replaced the battery? Could be as simple as that, especially if it's been getting really cold. If the battery is getting ready to crap out it can cause all kinds of "funny" things to happen, especially in a newer car. All that electric whizz bangery can start acting up when the voltage is "off".

Last edited: