Quantcast

Tuesday's debate could become Grumpypalooza

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD
Advisers worry about ‘grumpy McCain’

But what friends call “grumpy McCain” is showing up regularly on the campaign trail, and several top advisers worry that it’s hurting his campaign by making him appear peevish and hunkered down when the country is looking for a larger and more optimistic brand of leadership.
“McCain can’t appear to be desperate,” the adviser continued. “He’s got to be upbeat and enthusiastic, and he’s really got to channel Reagan. If he goes into this debate and beats the [heck] out of Obama, Obama’s numbers are going to come up.”

To make that switch, McCain will have to overcome an aversion to Obama that he no longer bothers to gloss over. When Obama crossed over to the Republican side of the Senate floor the night of the bailout vote and offered his hand to his rival, “McCain shook it, but with a ‘go away’ look that no one could miss," David Nather reported on CQPolitics.com.

“He tried his best not to even look at Obama,” Nather wrote. “Finally, with a tight smile, McCain managed a greeting: ‘Good to see you.’ Obama got the message ... and quickly beat a retreat back to the Democratic side.”

:popcorn:

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD
Better that than the generic-off of their last debate.
This one has the town hall format. Not as much chance for canned answers or paid political ads disguised as debate.

On the other hand, this format lends itself more to an opportunity for McCain to lose the temper.

If his head explodes, does this mean that Palin becomes the candidate or do we go with second most delegates from the primaries?

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
Did Karl Rove tell McCain to get in everyone's face after they ask a question? He even got 2 feet in front of Brokaw a second ago.

Defenestrated

Turbo Monkey
Mar 28, 2007
Earth
McCain's responses seem scripted. The same talking points and keywords are popping up, across the isle, pork barrel, reform, maverick?

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
"Obama wants safe nuclear or disposable or something like that.... I was on a sub!"

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
i was listening on npr as i was driving home from teh Tues Nite ride...

it was a lot less "Grumpypalooza" and a lot more "Snoozeapalooza"...

anyone that thinks obama or maccain is an exciting debater is nothing but a homer.

Defenestrated

Turbo Monkey
Mar 28, 2007
Earth
I'd rather watch Bernie Sanders debate Ron Paul, so in that respect your absolutely right N8.

Oh **** McCain thinks healthcare is a responsibility and not a right...

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I feel back for McCain, he moves around like he is a penguin in a human suit. Nothing that should swing anyone's vote. Well other than the dude is really old and his VP candidate is a mix between Mrs. Poole and Paris Hilton.

Defenestrated

Turbo Monkey
Mar 28, 2007
Earth
Why shouldn't health care be a human right N8?

Because that would destroy the market for peddling of health care as a commodity for profit by self interested private corporations?

You make me sick.

Last edited:

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
Because that would destroy the market for peddling of health care as a commodity by self interested private corporations?
The healthcare system in the US is without a doubt broken. That being said, I'm not convinced that a properly run private system would be detrimental. We need more ethical and patient/consumer-oriented insurance companies and hospitals that aren't milking the system. $30 for aspirin anyone?

Defenestrated

Turbo Monkey
Mar 28, 2007
Earth
The healthcare system in the US is without a doubt broken. That being said, I'm not convinced that a properly run private system would be detrimental. We need more ethical and patient/consumer-oriented insurance companies and hospitals that aren't milking the system. $30 for aspirin anyone?
We need to do something like Germany (if I recall the correct example) where health care providers are non-profit.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
i guess is should have said 'free' gov sponsored healthcare is not a right.

howz about free food? or free government provided sex for teh masses?

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
wherez the incentive to work if everyone gets free health care, free food, free homes?

perhaps these are the people who would staff your non-profit hospital system?