Quantcast

***Tuesderp GMT***

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
I've had packages intended for 2-3 of my neighbors (in a sparsely settled, woodsy neighborhood) dropped off at my house and have delivered them to their front door every time.

To think anyone wouldn't do the same kinda blows my mind.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
27,000 miles on it. And yeah... these tires suck. I guess the silver lining is that they have pretty much sucked since new, so now I have an excuse to get some decent tires... but... fuck these tires.
Check out Toyo Open Country AT2.
60k warranty P rated, 50k LT rated warranty. I have 22k on my super duty and tires look great, which is surprising for such a heavy truck.

4wd drive is for getting unstuck, I was always taught go 2wd until fubar'd then bail yourself out.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
4wd drive is for getting unstuck, I was always taught go 2wd until fubar'd then bail yourself out.
AWD is great for not getting yourself stuck. Much, much easier to throttle steer with AWD. Plus, traction.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
you've never lived somewhere that snows enough that they don't plow until there's at least 5" on the road, have you?
No just MI, CO and MA.
I also know how to drive.
It's all about ground clearance.

E: my wife's awd Benz wagon with snows was useless last winter until about 3 days after each blizzard. Just dragged its ass everywhere and I didn't feel like replacing both bumper covers after she ripped them off on snow piles

Last edited:

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
you've never lived somewhere that snows enough that they don't plow until there's at least 5" on the road, have you?
This. When you live somewhere that winter tires are pretty much required (or should be at least), AWD is noticable.

On a side note, do people not realize that unless you are on the throttle, it doesn't matter what kind of drive you have? I see people in AWD cars braking in corners and struggling to maintain a lane, because they aren't on the gas.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
My 4WD is full-time (with Torsen/locking center diff and a true low range).

How do you like them apples, eh eh?

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
No just MI, CO and MA.
I was amazed at how terrible the people out here in CO are. Never in my decade of driving in MA have I seen as many abandoned cars as I have in my two winters here.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
This. When you live somewhere that winter tires are pretty much required (or should be at least), AWD is noticable.

On a side note, do people not realize that unless you are on the throttle, it doesn't matter what kind of drive you have? I see people in AWD cars braking in corners and struggling to maintain a lane, because they aren't on the gas.
You should open up ///SDS (///Stoney's ///Dorifuto ///School) and tell 'em what's up.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
No just MI, CO and MA.

E: my wife's awd Benz wagon with snows was useless last winter until about 3 days after each blizzard. Just dragged its ass everywhere and I didn't feel like replacing both bumper covers after she ripped them off on snow piles
ground clearance helps, sure. but sometimes it's less about getting stuck than it is maintaining appropriate control over your vehicle so you don't hit someone else's vehicle in the first place. part of that is certainly knowing how to snow drive in the first place. 4wd makes things a little more predictable in varying winter road conditions.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
i once had a bunch of brewing stuff delivered to another street in my neighborhood. i called UPS. while they were investigating, said neighbor just swung by my house and dropped off the package. didn't get to meet them, but they were awfully kind to do that.
I don't trust people. Lady across the street seems nice enough. However, I think her baby's daddy rotates through the legal system. I don't trust him. However I think he is currently on a penal (rectal?) vacation.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I don't trust people. Lady across the street seems nice enough. However, I think her baby's daddy rotates through the legal system. I don't trust him. However I think he is currently on a penal (rectal?) vacation.
i don't live in "that kind" of neighborhood.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
///M with snows > FWD with all-seasons.
i never had a problem with all seasons in the winter in colorado.....but then again once i got going i rarely hit the brakes until i reached my destination.

i had snow tires once on the jetta....never noticed the difference in snow...

studded snows on the beetle....better than 4WD/AWD.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
I was amazed at how terrible the people out here in CO are. Never in my decade of driving in MA have I seen as many abandoned cars as I have in my two winters here.
Radio said 150+ cars off the road between here at Castle Rock this morning. Freeway was closed for a while, don't know if it still is. I spent the last 4 hours plowing the ramp because the baggage carts kept getting stuck. When I got back to the hangar I noticed our wind sock seems to have decide to migrate south for the winter.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
i never had a problem with all seasons in the winter in colorado.....but then again once i got going i rarely hit the brakes until i reached my destination.

Hell, I've never had anything but all seasons on any car I've had and I've never had any problem during any snowstorm. Maybe the day will come when my number is called but so far I've never been in a situation where I needed them.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado

Given the Passat has 18k on it, I'm assuming that it is OEM tires. I can tell the difference in Wifey's car though, but they are OEM tires.

I do have a perfect snow tire vs. not comparison though. When we still had both 2010 Foresters, we drove up to Breck and ended up in a house on a state road (ie dirt) that was relatively steep and snowed over. The car with snows (silver) made it up pretty easily with minimal sliding. The all-seasons (black) was a isht show. It made it up, but was all over. On the way back, I couldn't stop the black car for the life of me and ended up having to throttle steer around a corner I would have preferred to controlled brake around (mind we're talking 5-10mph here), and even then ended up driving through a semi-packed snow bank.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Hell, I've never had anything but all seasons on any car I've had and I've never had any problem during any snowstorm. Maybe the day will come when my number is called but so far I've never been in a situation where I needed them.
Up until we got the van that's all we'd ever had as well. I mean, we have so little snow down here and the stuff we get is so short-lived... it's a tough value proposition. But they are so much more safe and sure-footed for those long, icy drives to Steamboat in the middle of winter.
I don't think they are needed but they sure make things easier. And when you're going up regularly, a whole lot safer. Maybe I just have low optimism at Wifey's ability to drive in the snow... Then again, I loved having snows on the Lesbaru. It made the drive up Berthoud uh... fun.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
snow is nothing....this is when shit gets fun...
I thought that was being used interchangeably here? Snow is not a problem. Deep snow and deep slush are different. Icy? Yeah... Scary on snows. I got a bit sideways coming out of the tunnel doing about 50. It was everything I could do to get it going straight again without tank-slapping.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Snow tires are only really required if you have assholes to contend with.

I commute 25miles each way over hilly backroads in MA and NH, and have only ever had a FWD car with all seasons. No assholes in front or behind me = keeping momentum up (or down) as required is all that's needed.

You CO people make me :twitch:

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
ground clearance helps, sure. but sometimes it's less about getting stuck than it is maintaining appropriate control over your vehicle so you don't hit someone else's vehicle in the first place. part of that is certainly knowing how to snow drive in the first place. 4wd makes things a little more predictable in varying winter road conditions.
This... I have a rwd expedition, and a 4x4 Dakota... Knowing how to drive properly makes the groundwork, but instead if waiting to get stuck, then self rescue.... How about use the four wheel drive and just not get stuck...

I will add two things to the conversation, first... No matter what, for those that do not know, four wheel drive does not make you invincible.

Second, four wheel drive and all wheel drive are not the same thing..... Full time four wheel drive is just a fancy way of saying all wheel drive.....

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Snow tires are only really required if you have assholes to contend with.

I commute 25miles each way over hilly backroads in MA and NH, and have only ever had a FWD car with all seasons. No assholes in front or behind me = keeping momentum up (or down) as required is all that's needed.

You CO people make me :twitch:
Wait... driving in MA... no assholes... is this actually possibru?? :confused:

I gotta say, though - it's kinda fun doing the Moron Slalom up I-70 in a good snowstorm...

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Oh I will add a third....

That little snow flake alone does not mean your tires are rated for snow..... All it means is the rubber is a compound that will remain reactive under 45 degrees Fahrenheit. You still need a tires that is mud and snow rated as well, and no not all tires that have the snow flake are M+S rated..... And not all tires with the snowflake have to come off in warmer weather either....