Quantcast

***Tuesderp GMT***

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Just scrolled through the dork logger and noticed a buddy who is in Whistler right now; looks like those guys did a 4800 foot climb yesterday. Fhack me.
I think we did the same one last weekend. It's a solid pedal, that's for sure... Fun descent though. Pro tip: bring a jacket. It was freezing up there!

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
After a 1465m climb, I don't think I'd have any energy left for the descent. You know what trail that was?
Curious myself...My bet is Into the Mist up, then Lord of the Squirrels down.

Our profile looked like this:

My GPS watch is pretty crappy, so 100m off would not be a surprise.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Threw a bunch of old bike parts up for sale on Pinkbike last night. Seems I'd managed to accumulate quite a pile. If I manage to move it, it should help put a dent into my 2018 riding trip fund.

As for today, a couple of meetings on site and then off to Vancouver Island for some training for a couple of days. I'll try to get ahold of a buddy I haven't seen in a couple of years for a beer.

Seems I managed to scratch my temple quite vigorously in my sleep last night. Shit stings!

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
You know, I'd say good morning but it's really not. At least not for me.

The bill came yesterday for the wife's trip to the clinic last month for a UTI. Her PCP was unable to see her that day and she tried to get an apt at a Planned Parenthood to no avail, so we had to settle for going to a local clinic that told her over the phone it was a $175 fee to be seen. We were there for 20 minutes, she peed in a cup, a doctor came in to give her a prescription for antibiotics and we were on our way.

That apparently becomes, in out of pocket terms:
Doctor fee = $197
Urology lab = $75
Clinic fee = $4,600

Almost $5,000 out of pocket billed to me for a single urine test, 20 minutes sitting in a bed, and a prescription. This better be a fuck of of epic proportions on their end otherwise I'll be seeking every single possible avenue, legal or otherwise. That's ridiculous beyond ridiculous.

Anyway, that means my current mood = :mad:

And I forgot my breakfast. FML.
cocaine for the staff aint cheap...

the hospital bill for both my nephews joining the universe was less than 1000 out of pocket...

Last edited:

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
Good Afternoon!

Hope everyone is doing well....so last week, I told you guys about my carburetor issues on my lawnmower and how I slayed that dragon. So, instead of mowing before I went out of town, I drove the mower out to the middle of the yard, engaged the blades and.....just...sat....there - blades whirring, grass trembling. A total intimidation move to keep the grass from growing out of fear. I was benevolent god - able to give them ample time to say their goodbyes.

Then....yesterday....as I cranked up and had mowed about half the yard, I encountered the wildcard. See, I hadn't taken into account, alliances that were possibly made in my absence. The grass corroborated with the welcome mat at the walkway to sacrifice itself for the cause....I mean, I'm pissed, yeah..... but I admire the commitment to the cause. The welcome mat detonated upon impact after being sucked up into the mower when I got too close.....timing belt shredded....blades, FUBAR.

Grass, man. Grass.

roflbox

roflborx
Jan 23, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Good Afternoon!

Hope everyone is doing well....so last week, I told you guys about my carburetor issues on my lawnmower and how I slayed that dragon. So, instead of mowing before I went out of town, I drove the mower out to the middle of the yard, engaged the blades and.....just...sat....there - blades whirring, grass trembling. A total intimidation move to keep the grass from growing out of fear. I was benevolent god - able to give them ample time to say their goodbyes.

Then....yesterday....as I cranked up and had mowed about half the yard, I encountered the wildcard. See, I hadn't taken into account, alliances that were possibly made in my absence. The grass corroborated with the welcome mat at the walkway to sacrifice itself for the cause....I mean, I'm pissed, yeah..... but I admire the commitment to the cause. The welcome mat detonated upon impact after being sucked up into the mower when I got too close.....timing belt shredded....blades, FUBAR.

Grass, man. Grass.
Sounds like you have been having the time of it trying to mow your yard :busted::busted:

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Just in case anyone is wondering - get your ass somewhere into the line of totality next time through (2024). That shit is indescribably cool.

Small wonder ancient man thought that the world was coming to an end when this happened back in the good ol' days.
i will be fucking 71 and in a shack on the property in pagosa springs...if not dead already.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
Need to get tires on van rotated.
They should rotate every time you drive it.

You know, I'd say good morning but it's really not. At least not for me.

The bill came yesterday for the wife's trip to the clinic last month for a UTI. Her PCP was unable to see her that day and she tried to get an apt at a Planned Parenthood to no avail, so we had to settle for going to a local clinic that told her over the phone it was a $175 fee to be seen. We were there for 20 minutes, she peed in a cup, a doctor came in to give her a prescription for antibiotics and we were on our way.

That apparently becomes, in out of pocket terms:
Doctor fee = $197
Urology lab = $75
Clinic fee = $4,600

Almost $5,000 out of pocket billed to me for a single urine test, 20 minutes sitting in a bed, and a prescription. This better be a fuck of of epic proportions on their end otherwise I'll be seeking every single possible avenue, legal or otherwise. That's ridiculous beyond ridiculous.

Anyway, that means my current mood = :mad:

And I forgot my breakfast. FML.
I just saw that I hit my out-of-pocket max. Surgery was near $50k, but $3k is my limit. I'm hitting the doc a bunch of times for free in the rest of 2017.

Duuuuuuuude. You're a fluffer, aren't you? :busted: :rofl:
I'd have bet he was on the other end of the production cycle, helping deflate those stubborn 4-hour overtime situations.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
looks like i'll finally get my car back tomorrow. went ahead and had them unplug the pillar drains while it was in. it was $450 to do so but i'm tired of it flooding the front footwells and hell if i'm gonna eff around ripping the dash off...

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I'm ready to leave work now. and of course it's started to pour rain, with a severe thunderstorm warning in effect. I can watch the weather roll in from my office (I look west and I'm on the 26th floor). It look like there might be a bit of a calm in about 10 minutes that will give me enough time to get home by bike... I guess I'll surf the monkey for 10 moar minutes.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
We were nearly 100% (high 90s) in SE MT and it was so cool!!!
In 2024 make sure you get somewhere with 100%. The difference between "almost" and 100% is literally like night and day. It is jaw-dropping in totality.

My wife and I were in Scotland for the 1999 eclipse and it was probably 80% - light got weird and it was cool looking at the coverage through eclipse glasses... but the full we witnessed yesterday - so much more amazing.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I just confirmed that my sister lives in the path of totality for the 2024 eclipse going through Texas. That will be a much easier one to view, as we can make the weekend jaunt to her house then drive 30min deeper into the path of totality, and drive home during the week. Haley will be 12 and rd 2 will be 7, so even better.
edit: Apparently it's also a week off his 70th birthday. So two birds - one stone.

Last edited:
We have a tornado watch until 9 PM. Pretty cool thunderstorm going on right now.

Took apart the wheels for the old K2 since I will be replacing the rims ' cause they're way worn from braking, discovered that front hub (HB-M750 VIA-M) felt crunchy, disassembled, cleaned, lubricated, and adjusted it and it now turns with no crunching. Sure wish I could find some external seals for it, current ones are cracked.

Rear hub's an XT FH-M752 VIA-M, I think the whole wheel was a replacement. I want to rebuild that too, but am less experienced in tearing down rear hubs.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I don't care who you are or what you do, if you cause an accident on the freeway during rush hour, you ARE a donkey.

Two hours to get home tonight.

I wonder if we have friends in common. I just saw that my buddy posted this yesterday:View attachment 126247
Would be a small world. My buddies name is Gord and he either rode with someone named Richard, or they were close enough that Strava linked them together.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
In 2024 make sure you get somewhere with 100%. The difference between "almost" and 100% is literally like night and day. It is jaw-dropping in totality.

My wife and I were in Scotland for the 1999 eclipse and it was probably 80% - light got weird and it was cool looking at the coverage through eclipse glasses... but the full we witnessed yesterday - so much more amazing.
and make sure you are watching ozzy perform bark at the moon during it...

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Dirty Copper Triangle anti-clockwise is the plan for tomorrow https://www.mtbproject.com/trail/648142
It was ridden, but we ended up with 38.2m, 6100ft vert.

There was a 55 minute, 7 mile, ~650ft detour we had to take because some annoying workmen wouldn't let us walk alongside a 300 yard closed section of road they were working on :banghead:

For anyone local it was the last 300 yards on the dirt road from the bottom of Ptarmigan Pass before you reach the Camp Hale CO Trail trailhead. We had to backtrack and damn near ride to Tennessee Pass to then head back down the CO trail to Hale.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
It was ridden, but we ended up with 38.2m, 6100ft vert.

There was a 55 minute, 7 mile, ~650ft detour we had to take because some annoying workmen wouldn't let us walk alongside a 300 yard closed section of road they were working on :banghead:

For anyone local it was the last 300 yards on the dirt road from the bottom of Ptarmigan Pass before you reach the Camp Hale CO Trail trailhead. We had to backtrack and damn near ride to Tennessee Pass to then head back down the CO trail to Hale.
How's that climb from Camp Hale up to Kokomo Pass?

Also - WTF on the road closure? What the hell were they doing?