Quantcast

***Tuesderp GMT***

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
did you actually click the link? at least its not one of the full size 4 door cabs. it was cheap, good condition, and close. not like i'm actually in the market for anything right now.
Dafuq is wrong with full size 4-door cabs? :think:

Makes for a pretty cushy road-trip/shuttle vehicle. :D

@SkaredShtles
So, maybe there are some rentals available in Tuscany this year?

Heh - I checked *last* year and there is plenty to rent in Tuscany. 1br furnished apartments in downtown Siena are around $1000/mo. Enticing...

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
jbp does not know of the need to transport more than himself + perhaps one other.
You mean to tell me, that other people have needs different from my own, and that those needs don't immediately invalidate their choices?

Rubbish! Bollocks! I say good day to you sir!

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
I screwed up and ordered ground coffee instead of whole bean, morning cup with kind of meh. At least I only have 4 lbs to get through before switching back to fresh ground.

Otherwise it's a normal day of putting out fires and teaching eople more "qualified" than me how to do their job.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
sub 6 foot beds?
Ah, so your issue is not with the 4-door cab, but rather with the available space in the bed. There are 4-door cab trucks that have 6' and 6-1/2' beds. Heck, there are probably even some available with 8' beds. The Tundra Roja is 4-door cab and a bed just an inch or two shy of 6-1/2' for instance. Makes for a nice road-trip/ shuttle vehicle... have gotten 8 riders, 8 bikes, and a driver up to Geyser Pass for a Whole Enchilada run in years past, and that's with a topper on it. Granted, we had a hitch mount rack on the back as well as bikes across the tailgate, and a couple people in the bed... but it went.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Ah, so your issue is not with the 4-door cab, but rather with the available space in the bed. There are 4-door cab trucks that have 6' and 6-1/2' beds. Heck, there are probably even some available with 8' beds. The Tundra Roja is 4-door cab and a bed just an inch or two shy of 6-1/2' for instance. Makes for a nice road-trip/ shuttle vehicle... have gotten 8 riders, 8 bikes, and a driver up to Geyser Pass for a Whole Enchilada run in years past, and that's with a topper on it. Granted, we had a hitch mount rack on the back as well as bikes across the tailgate, and a couple people in the bed... but it went.
i'm not the one with the issue. i just checked craigslist for cheap trucks out of curiosity and that was the first decent one that came up. as previously stated, i'm not even in the market for a truck right now. if/when i do get one, it's going to be a beater for some bike trips (maybe) and hauling stuff.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Queue someone complaining about pointing out the unwieldy length of such a vehicle, and me informing them that I'm not fucking driving it in downtown Manhattan.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Queue someone complaining about pointing out the unwieldy length of such a vehicle, and me informing them that I'm not fucking driving it in downtown Manhattan.
Having driven a crew cab 8' bed with the camper on through many a downtown, I can attest to it not being high on my list of things to do. Never had any issues, but still rather unpleasant.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Can't be less fun than driving around in one of them big ass UHaul vans. :D
True. I drove a 26' Penske box truck 2,000 miles from CO to Boston, though it was primarily highway. Still an interesting experience, and I'm surprised they let any old bloke rent one.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
Having driven a crew cab 8' bed with the camper on through many a downtown, I can attest to it not being high on my list of things to do. Never had any issues, but still rather unpleasant.
Yup, 3/4 and 1-ton trucks can be had with long beds. For Ford it's 6' 9" or 8' as your options, as opposed to 5.5' or 6.5' for crew cab F-150s.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Yup, 3/4 and 1-ton trucks can be had with long beds. For Ford it's 6' 9" or 8' as your options, as opposed to 5.5' or 6.5' for crew cab F-150s.
Of course there's the rare crew cab long bed Tundra too. Dont see a whole lot of those around.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
sub 6 foot beds?

Unless you have a 8ft bed, shit hangs out anyway, way better to have rear seat leg room and flip the tailgate down when you need to haul a shitload of lumber. Hell, most of my lumber hauling needs wouldn't even fit in an 8' bed, I'd need like a 13' bed and that's just silly.

Been surviving with a 5' bed for almost a decade, and hauled many a 16' board, just put a red flag on it, red flags make everything both safe and legal.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I have seen people in full bed, extended cab dualies get stuck in my neighborhood. Two way one lane streets and you can park right to the corner.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Wife and kid are online this week, back to in-person next week. I also give it no more than a week, at least for the kid.
Was talking with a Jeffco teacher today. She was shocked that Douglas Co wash going back today. They are giving 3-weeks post-NYE for that shit show to become visible before sending kids back.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Dafuq is wrong with full size 4-door cabs? :think:
Probably because a large percentage of people with trucks use them as single driver commuters 99% of the time and only got a truck to deal with personal confidence issues, or mount MAGA flags.

But damn they are useful when you need one. If I ever go that route it will probably be a Honda Ridgeline, because I don't need a real truck, just something where I can throw shit in the back.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Probably because a large percentage of people with trucks use them as single driver commuters 99% of the time and only got a truck to deal with personal confidence issues, or mount MAGA flags.

But damn they are useful when you need one. If I ever go that route it will probably be a Honda Ridgeline, because I don't need a real truck, just something where I can throw shit in the back.
I feel attacked. :rant:

Skip the Ridgeline, you are more of a Subaru Baja kind of guy.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
True. I drove a 26' Penske box truck 2,000 miles from CO to Boston, though it was primarily highway. Still an interesting experience, and I'm surprised they let any old bloke rent one.
I can only claim to have driven a 16' box truck in Manhattan on the way to Colorado

I feel like such a let down :(

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
The worst for me was a friend’s van towing a motorcycle trailer...in London.
Terrifying.
Second worst was my extended crew cab, full size bed f250 towing a 15 foot trailer full of railroad ties...in San Francisco.
The third was just every-day driving in Lima.

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
Of course there's the rare crew cab long bed Tundra too. Dont see a whole lot of those around.
wat

as far as I can tell Tundra CrewMax comes only with the wee 5.5' bed, no other choices.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
wat

as far as I can tell Tundra CrewMax comes only with the wee 5.5' bed, no other choices.
3046b85a78b5787d8622ba00e7af3e6f.jpg

Might have done away with them at this point, I've only seen a handful over the past 5 or so years, so they can't be that popular.

Pretty sure they still offer the double cab (different than crewmax) in the 8' bed.

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
View attachment 154405

Might have done away with them at this point, I've only seen a handful over the past 5 or so years, so they can't be that popular.

Pretty sure they still offer the double cab (different than crewmax) in the 8' bed.
I am 99.9% sure that's an aftermarket stretch, like ye olde 3 row F-350s and such

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
I am 99.9% sure that's an aftermarket stretch, like ye olde 3 row F-350s and such

Could be. Oddly, I've seen enough of them rolling around I was under the impression it was a seldom chosen, factory configuration.

Guess you'd have to settle for the double cab with the 8' bed.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
Went into the office for a bit. Reviewed and distributed some copyedits for the book I'm working on. Had a delicious coffee porter with lunch. Took the 10yo for a walk in the woods. Bought a Cotic BFE frame and wheelset from a buddy to build up and use as a pumptrack bike and a bike for the 15yo. #notabadday

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
How does one survive without a truck? Crew Cab and short bed is fine with me. Never needed a longer bed.

41EB1B29-5C38-4B55-82BF-1EE2332A845D.jpeg