Quantcast

Turner DHR '08 Rebuild

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008

Cornelius is not giving out forks to mags or bike forums for test anymore because he felt he is at a disadvantage against the big companies there. That is why you won't see many full tests anymore.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Thanks Jon, its so confusing all this.
You need one for the correct length headtube as well.
I still have a works Components one I bought in 2010, wored pretty well in my Nicolai Ion, think it was 63.5 deg in the super low position.

konastab01

Turbo Monkey
Dec 7, 2004
You need one for the correct length headtube as well.
I still have a works Components one I bought in 2010, wored pretty well in my Nicolai Ion, think it was 63.5 deg in the super low position.
I’ve just decided to stick with the Chris king and try angled bushes, had a search on eBay and some sites to see if I could get one and it wasn’t bringing up much!

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are

Cornelius is not giving out forks to mags or bike forums for test anymore because he felt he is at a disadvantage against the big companies there. That is why you won't see many full tests anymore.
Is a good thing Cornelius included German fucking subtitles to accompany that German interview! :mad: I care barely speak the Queen's English ova here.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I had a couple of the square tube DHRs and the following single pivot round tube one. Buddies of mine had the pre-square tube (javelin model) and the dw-link version which was plenty slack enough. The round tube one I had, I never bothered drilling but I seem to recall someone flipped the shock driving link? Is that possible to do?

Also the concentric bushing on those isn't as bad an option because the compression forces work to put the bushing in the correct position. When you use offsets to correct a mullet, the compression forces tend to make them swivel but I think for MOAR SLACKEN they tend to stay put.

04 DHR.jpg

08 DHR.jpg

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Also the concentric bushing on those isn't as bad an option because the compression forces work to put the bushing in the correct position. When you use offsets to correct a mullet, the compression forces tend to make them swivel but I think for MOAR SLACKEN they tend to stay put.
If you still have some throw them in a shock with no spring and cycle the suspension. They move a ton on long travel bikes.

The center cylinder is what slides, the bushings stay put in the DU. I imagine you could wear down the DU bushing enough so that it slides but that's also to the point of developing play.

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
If you still have some throw them in a shock with no spring and cycle the suspension. They move a ton on long travel bikes.

The center cylinder is what slides, the bushings stay put in the DU. I imagine you could wear down the DU bushing enough so that it slides but that's also to the point of developing play.
I tried some ages ago on a bike and never had any rotation. I wonder if having the two spacers slightly too narrow so that the cylinder was tight in the frame would help prevent an issue. Might not be worth the hassle though if its that likely to stuff up as you say.

Those were such nicely fabricated frames. I wish I'd kept the round tube one - the welding on that bike was amazing to look at.

konastab01

Turbo Monkey
Dec 7, 2004
I tried some ages ago on a bike and never had any rotation. I wonder if having the two spacers slightly too narrow so that the cylinder was tight in the frame would help prevent an issue. Might not be worth the hassle though if its that likely to stuff up as you say.

Those were such nicely fabricated frames. I wish I'd kept the round tube one - the welding on that bike was amazing to look at.
The mad thing is the person I bought it from practically gave it away. £150 for Frame/shock and MRP. I thought it was a deal.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator

between burgtec, the polish machinist on ebay and a few of the other options they're all a little different.

I do seem to remember having a set that didn't rotate but I'll be damned if I could remember who made them. I know the last several I had all stayed put under rotation which meant they added another axis of leverage hijinks.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
between burgtec, the polish machinist on ebay and a few of the other options they're all a little different.

I do seem to remember having a set that didn't rotate but I'll be damned if I could remember who made them. I know the last several I had all stayed put under rotation which meant they added another axis of leverage hijinks.
There's variance based on DU brand as well. I'm running one in a DHX2 right now that I can spin by hand. I had the exact same bushing in a Super Deluxe previously that was much tighter.

konastab01

Turbo Monkey
Dec 7, 2004
I was gonna order offset bushing from offset bushings in the UK! Has anyone use stuff from them?

dovbush66

Monkey
Aug 27, 2018
Ireland
I was gonna order offset bushing from offset bushings in the UK! Has anyone use stuff from them?
I've gotten a few from them

I use them in combo with tf tuned low friction bushes or the fox cream 2 piece ones and usually get a good 6-8 months before they develop play. they are super smooth and easy to turn, I think the mix of brass pin and those bushes is good.
the offset one I have in my cove seems to stay put. I removed a bit of material from the spacers I use so the pin is clamped down more too

another thing I do is get tf tuned or fox plastic spacers with the o-ring. they are a nice tight fit on the pin and I can grind them down a bit without them rattling.

the offset bushings ones are just aluminium and a bit loose on the pin sometimes which is a negative for me. I like to keep everything there sealed up for mud

Last edited:

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Yeah, I think an XL 2014-2015 with a 650b F/R could be nice. It has a pretty slack HA stock.
I don't think you could fit a 650b tire in there, a 2.5 Minion was already pretty much right up against the end of the shock on mine.

Though if it did.... and I could easily replace the medium I had with a large or xl.... I'd for sure still have a dh bike.

konastab01

Turbo Monkey
Dec 7, 2004
Sorry to bring thi back to the top, I spoke to works components and apparently I need a ZS49/ZS49 and can get up to a 2 degree angled headset. Is that right or have they told me nonsense as others were saying in here different things.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
I am 99% sure yes.

I happen to have a 1.5 degree angled 1 1/8 that I decided not to use on my Evil Sovereign...

konastab01

Turbo Monkey
Dec 7, 2004
Those were 1 1/8" headtubes weren't they?

-guy who owned one and can't remember :rofl:
Yeah 1 1/8.

"Email from Works

Thank you for your e-mail.
The headset we supply to fit your Turner is the ZS49/ZS49 to suit 1 1/8" steerer.
The 1.5 degree option can be found here on our website: https://www.workscomponents.co.uk/15-degree-zs49-zs49-angle-headset---to-suit-1-18-steerer-tube-52-p.asp
The 2 degree option can be found here on our website: https://www.workscomponents.co.uk/20-degree-zs49-zs49-angle-headset---to-suit-1-18-steerer-tube-59-p.asp
If you need any help or have any questions please let me know."

Just dont wanna order the wrong one and have to deal with sending it back.

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Yeah there are some options but the change is small, and they add quite a bit of stack height. They're telling you buy the wrong headset because I don't think they understand that it's a 1 1/8 headtube, not just the fork you want to use.

Quit dicking around and drill the swingarm. It's not some unproven, mystery outcome or anything. It makes the frame better at everything.......slacker AND lower

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
It will fit a ZS49 headset cup if he finds a big enough hammer and isn't a bitch about it :D

konastab01

Turbo Monkey
Dec 7, 2004
Yeah there are some options but the change is small, and they add quite a bit of stack height. They're telling you buy the wrong headset because I don't think they understand that it's a 1 1/8 headtube, not just the fork you want to use.

Quit dicking around and drill the swingarm. It's not some unproven, mystery outcome or anything. It makes the frame better at everything.......slacker AND lower
Im going to drill it too. LOLLL